Dynadot

What happened to Pheenix ?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

hlkvrl

Restricted (Market)
Impact
The last time the results fail. Backorder did but I get the domain manually.

Is having problems?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
I think he's saying he placed a backorder with Pheenix and they didn't get it, but that he was able to reg it on his own. I'm kind of wondered that myself. It seems with domains with lots of backorders they have some success but I've had some where I didn't think they would have that many, that maybe it could just be me and a few other people and another place catches it.

•••
Thanks JB for clearing that up for me. lol

I havent had nothing but success with Pheenix and over 60+ names with them in last 4-5 months so they have been pretty good for me!

•••
Well the same thing happened with me on two days back. I backordered a domain and it was available to be registered for 40 minutes before Pheenix caught it and I verified this with various registrars just to make sure its not some kind of an error. This has been happening since past couple of days I guess. Pheenix used to be a front runner in catching domains but it seems like now Snapnames leads the race along with Dropcatch and bellnames. Its sad to see as Pheenix is the cheapest (and based on my experience best) backorder service.

Last edited:
•••
it has been hit and miss for me lately with Pheenix as well.. some domains they reliably caught for me, but some which i really expected them to catch (not even that much of competition on other backordering services) they let slip through..

•••
They may be dedicating more of their resources to the domains with more bids. More bids = More people in the auction = More money... It may be more worthwhile for them to dedicate resources trying to get a name that could sell for $XXX or $XXXX in their auction as opposed to a domain with just 1-2 backorders..

•••
They may be dedicating more of their resources to the domains with more bids. More bids = More people in the auction = More money... It may be more worthwhile for them to dedicate resources trying to get a name that could sell for $XXX or $XXXX in their auction as opposed to a domain with just 1-2 backorders..

That might be true but a coin always has two sides, if they forget the average joe who doesn't want get into a bid war and sees that all the domains he backorders just go to hand reggers or pseudo backorder services they might lose their clients and to be honest I found out about pheenix due to whois mostly, less domains caught. less publicity less clients and we all know where it ends. They got their clients based on an affordable service that is no longer affordable due to bid wars and might lose the others due to non caught domains.

•••
AFAIK, an exact drop order is known - disclosed by the verisign registry. Resultingly, each and every drop catching service is perfectly well able to predict an exact "timestamp" (millisecond) to try to acquire each particular pre-ordered domain, and they should be programming the scripts accordingly. It would therefore make no sense to prefer one pre-ordered domain to another. What likely happens is that pheenix simply became less competetive, thanks to Andrew Reberry / dropcatch.com who recently activated 299 new registrar accreditations as noticed in another thread -
namepros.com/threads/one-company-now-owns-almost-a-third-of-all-registrars.843155/
Indeed, dropcatch would "queue" each and every more or less valuable domain for catching - if not for dropcatch dot com customers ($59 backorder fee), then for their own portfolio. The issue is that IF the domain is worth only $18.95 pheenix fee, or lets say handreg fee - then the fact that dropcatch/hugedomains is looking for it for their own portfolio does not change its "domainers" value, so it makes no sense to backorder it with snapnames/nj/ or dropcatch.com itself for $59 or $69

•••
The biggest problem with Dropcatch is if theres more than one backorder, domains are available for anyone to bid on, which I don't consider as a fair proctice (yet extremely profitable for dropcatch). And many good domains are caught by them for Hugedomains, their own domain store. So basically if I don't BO with them, they are my competitor in acquiring the name, so obviously I would have to BO with them.

For 10 more bucks one would rather go with Snapnames. Infact lately I have seen a lot of domains going to Snapnames as well, even mediocre ones. I am sure there are many who don't consider Pheenix a reliable BO service anymore.

•••
DropCatch's practice of anyone being able to bid in a drop auction is a huge flaw (maybe not for them), however for domain name investors like us it is as I strongly refrain from using their service.

•••
I tried to catch PrivateRegistration.com via Pheenix - backorder failed.
Godaddy backorder failed, too (original registrar from previous owner).
godadddddy_back.png

•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
From a recent news email they sent:
3.We are working on a new drop catch system that will increase catches. This will be operational soon.

FWIW I've placed about 50 orders in last couple of weeks and not one of those caught or gone to auction. Previously they were catching and auctioning some very good names.

•••
From a recent news email they sent:

FWIW I've placed about 50 orders in last couple of weeks and not one of those caught or gone to auction. Previously they were catching and auctioning some very good names.

looks like their ability of catching names have gone down the drain

•••
They still catch for me all the domains nobody else wants. They have a near 100% record. Even lately.

•••
They still catch for me all the domains nobody else wants.

You could hand register such domains at drop and save money!

•••
@Violets - It was a joke :) unfortunately true :(

•••
•••
I have literally stopped backordering with pheenix!

•••
They still catch for me all the domains nobody else wants. They have a near 100% record. Even lately.
True for me too. Pheenix charged less fee though.

•••
I have literally stopped backordering with pheenix!
What will you be using then?
Even i m trying to find an alternative.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back