Dynadot

What happened to Pheenix ?

NameSilo
Watch

hlkvrl

Restricted (Market)
Impact
The last time the results fail. Backorder did but I get the domain manually.

Is having problems?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The problem with not using DropCatch is that they have HugeDomains more than willing to take the good names if no users feel like backordering them. You can not-backorder the top couple thousand per day and they'll still go after then; the difference is that you won't have the chance to get it at $59 at that point, but whatever thousands HD is selling it for.

•••
A few weeks back I read ICANN is going to bring a conference to abolish dropcatching.. hope they do......level the playing field...Can you imagine a world of domaining where there is a fair shake for everyone at a the same price? Wouldnt that be great!

Do you have a reference for this?

•••
Not off hand, it is somewhere i'm sure in my millions of bookmarks..I will update when I find the material.

*edit* I do remember reading that after this rule is passed if it does get passed. Dropcatchers and anyone involved in dropcatching will not be allowed to register any longer. So basically if this rule passes and you are caught dropcatching , you will be essentially banned from domaining! wild.

Last edited:
•••
As some other members implied, I'm afraid Namejet and Snapnames will change their private auctions to public soon in order to better compete with dropcatch.com.

I'm not sure how making their services less attractive is going to help them compete. It seems to me that what would make more sense is for them to work on improving their success rates. There's no reason why namejet and snapnames can't improve the same way that dropcatch did.

In any case if for some reason they all moved towards a public auction format, it wouldn't be the end of the world. There are lots of other ways to pick up domains so I'd just focus my attention elsewhere and allow those that don't mind overspending to pick up whatever they like from the dropcatchers.

•••
Not off hand, it is somewhere i'm sure in my millions of bookmarks..I will update when I find the material.

*edit* I do remember reading that after this rule is passed if it does get passed. Dropcatchers and anyone involved in dropcatching will not be allowed to register any longer. So basically if this rule passes and you are caught dropcatching , you will be essentially banned from domaining! wild.

Sorry, but I'm having a tough time believing any part this story. Hopefully you can find the article so we can have a look at the details. :)

•••
If we forget about open/closed auctions for a moment. What has happened - well-funded "Big Gorilla" enters unregulated "wild west" market and wants to become the only player in town.(assuming that we understand that ICANN does not really regulate anything except their own pockets). How wise is it? Will the "Big Gorilla" win? There is an interesting part of mathematical science, called "Game theory", which teachs us that it may not necessary be the case. For example, something bad may happen - and the whole market will be changed under new rules, or closed. Nobody will win. "Live and let live" - a perfect principle that should have been applied instead. This priniciple is unfortunately not applied by the mentioned "Big Gorilla" in any aspect.

Returning to our terms, some members may remember an idea of a centralized WLS - domain wait list and grab service powered by the central registry. This would have effectively eliminated any dropcatching competition. This WLS never became live due to serious complaints from dropcatchers, domainers, and, most importantly, endusers. ICANN was forced to stop it. Now, mentioned WLS is going to be in-fact replaced by private dropcatch dot com website. At least it is what endusers will think.

So, should the whole game be changed someday, in such a way that maintaining hundreds of registrars will become irrelevant for example, and/or in any other aspects, we all should "thank" Andrew Reberry for this.

•••
Sorry, but I'm having a tough time believing any part this story. Hopefully you can find the article so we can have a look at the details. :)
I will find it and link it to this thread.......yea but uh its just a post I read and thought was a pretty nice Idea........who needs a dictatorship in domaining? Pay some one that has a qwerty program that catches names for quadruple the price of regfee? Nah get down and click fast like the rest of us. FREEDOM!
freedom-1.jpg

Last edited:
•••

i don't see how 'dropcatching' could ever be banned. what is the difference between a hand reg and someone setting up a program to auto check every second for availability? there will always be a way around it and the guys with most money will be ones who will win if there is no 'dropcatching' allowed. without programs like snapnames, namejet, it would be big players with sophisticated software getting all the good expired domains. the average joe will have no shot unlike he does now. all he needs is some money.

•••
Domain Wait List is pointless, as the second it is live, all good domains will be reserved by the big guys.

•••
Uh oh, is a little comeback in the works? They caught a good one today, KissAndTell.com, looks like around 50 bidders.

•••
They caught mega sale (. -com) today.
They caught very nice domains in the last few weeks.
Also, they improved their interface.

•••

Interesting thought, but I am affraid it would not make any difference in the end. Since the technology to secure domains already exist it would become tool for few chosen ones to collect the golden nuggets and the rest will come short. Secondly the enforcing of the rule might be bit problematic since most of us actually are dropcatchers (in wider sense) trying to pick domain after drop to resell later.

•••
Anyone able to access Pheenix today!!?

It has been down for hours ! Are they dead?! :xf.eek:

•••

Can't access it either neither can isitdownrightnow et.al. :(

•••

I was on earlier, but it is down for me right now.

•••
•••
•••
•••
Namejet is not working properly for me now too.

•••
Tick, tock. . . .

Hoping I get a chance to move my remaining domains outta there

•••
they seem to be having problems more frequently. coupled with the drop in catching names it makes them kind of useless. i was a big pheenix fan but they need to get some more registrars and keep their site up. second time in two weeks I was unable to backorder due to not being able to log in.

•••
I guess I won't be winning the auction I was in.... Absolutely ridiculous.

•••
There's definitely been a dip lately. I am really hoping for Pheenix to get it together and remain competitive. There needs to be more competition in the dropcatching game in order for it to be good for us. I agree Pheenix needs to get some more registrars. It's no good if there are only 3 big players.

•••
I guess I won't be winning the auction I was in.... Absolutely ridiculous.

They will definitely extend the auction. Don't worry.

•••
If we forget about open/closed auctions for a moment. What has happened - well-funded "Big Gorilla" enters unregulated "wild west" market and wants to become the only player in town.(assuming that we understand that ICANN does not really regulate anything except their own pockets). How wise is it? Will the "Big Gorilla" win? There is an interesting part of mathematical science, called "Game theory", which teachs us that it may not necessary be the case. For example, something bad may happen - and the whole market will be changed under new rules, or closed. Nobody will win. "Live and let live" - a perfect principle that should have been applied instead. This priniciple is unfortunately not applied by the mentioned "Big Gorilla" in any aspect.

Returning to our terms, some members may remember an idea of a centralized WLS - domain wait list and grab service powered by the central registry. This would have effectively eliminated any dropcatching competition. This WLS never became live due to serious complaints from dropcatchers, domainers, and, most importantly, endusers. ICANN was forced to stop it. Now, mentioned WLS is going to be in-fact replaced by private dropcatch dot com website. At least it is what endusers will think.

So, should the whole game be changed someday, in such a way that maintaining hundreds of registrars will become irrelevant for example, and/or in any other aspects, we all should "thank" Andrew Reberry for this.

agree. I there should be something to be abolish it would be registrars taking expired domains and auctioning them. it's unethical (mix of domain registration and domain marketplace) and illegal as per ICANN rules, but nobody cares. i don't like at all seeing these guys taking easy profits. that is not free market or capitalism, where the merit is promoted. this is free income with no work. if you want an expired domain go after the owner and make a deal with him. if he as died then go wait for the drop like everyone else.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back