IT.COM

discuss What gTLD failed you? For example, you stocked up for nothing.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

INFJ

I.T. Infrastructure EngineerTop Member
Impact
What gTLD failed you? For example, you stocked up for nothing.

I'll start. I jumped on the .vip bandwagon when it first dropped. I remember picking up "lounge.vip" which was appraised for several thousand by several members. Of course, stupid me, I hung onto it....'til the end.....the very end....as in $5 end. FML.

Your turn!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The worst results I had with .BIZ (in terms of enduser sales).

•••
Instead of focusing on the worst I will focus on the best. For me it's been .app.....:xf.grin:

•••
The worst results I had with .BIZ (in terms of enduser sales).

x2. My only non-.com is Lent.biz; which made me appreciate .com, much more!

Last edited:
•••
•••
.top for sure. guilty of looking at quantity/price of sales instead of keyword trends and target markets with that one!

•••
i had a 2L .fyi and and a np's auction only brought in $15!:xf.eek:

•••
.christmas and others ran by frank shilling aka @Uniregistry. The prices went up 1000%, some past $1k each.

•••
x2. My only non-.com is Lent.biz; which made me appreciate .com, much more!

X3 from me. Back in the day I though it would be a fairly good alternative to the .com (for commercial) A catchy, modern Business alternative. The .Net extension never lived up to it's alternative 10% value of a .com either. So another fools gold over-all

I guess it's why all the New gtld promoters keep saying we don't understand - Oh yes we do. I'm sure there was also some nice .biz sales that were used by some to foretell the' second-coming' back then as well

Last edited:
•••
I would say .info.

I have sold many secondary extensions but .info lags behind even ones like .biz.

Brad

•••
Yes, since 2015 .info aftermarket is almost dead...

•••
.mobi

shudders to even think about it now

•••
lounge.vip still isn't that bad did you make efforts? I still think is one of better for extension.
I think you want to invest in stocks if you want to see daily movements. I have a few second bests I will drop but I am not rolling over while others do largest sale of month.

Last edited:
•••
Wish I would have seen that lounge.vip auction, $5 won it?? Ridiculous. With these less known/unpopular newer extensions I don't think it's wise to start auctions so low, better to use a fixed price to get a pulse on the very minimum you would take for it, and if it doesn't sell then it hasn't reached it's prime. So best to hold for a name like that.

Not to say don't go chasing rainbows, like holding for several years in the hopes of that one offer. A good naming palate is one thing, but choosing the right names to put into the freezer versus which to put into the compost because they won't age well, guess it can be a fine line. Lounge.vip deserved a deep freeze.

To me, stocking up for nothing applies to every TLD, we get an idea and a year later it's like, meh not feeling it so much anymore. Part of domaining. Part of culling your domains and keeping a smarter trimmer portfolio. Setting different expectations/benchmarks for different TLDs is what to concentrate on. Legacy extensions have different rules than the new G's, in terms of a sales forecast and populace adaptability.

Maybe you failed the gTLD, not it failed you. Didn't give it enough time. Put it in the wrong marketplace. Some things to consider.

I think .top and .xyz people will view as failures in terms of investments, but weren't these offered for pennies at one point? So naturally everyone went overboard and bought senseless combinations. Again don't blame the extension. I mean, .xyz makes no sense right off the bat, and now we're going to add a keyword before the dot to attempt sense of it?

Anyhow, to sum it up no failures here in new G's, if I no longer have a name in a certain TLD its just because I likely only had one domain in it and changed my mind on value/holding viability. I don't stock up on new G's with an initial expiry date in mind per say. More of a "has it's time come, has its time passed, is now the time, or oops this one will never rise".

•••
I spent $10k on three .cars ($3k a pop) domains before I abandoned the project.
I held two and developed one, find.cars and too many people went to find.com and findcars.com.

•••
I spent $10k on three .cars ($3k a pop) domains before I abandoned the project.
I held two and developed one, find.cars and too many people went to find.com and findcars.com.
That's too bad man. That's a heck of a lot of capital needed for just 3 domains. And not just one-time, but yearly. I'm assuming you didn't own the .com versions? I mean the tld is good, and so were your names, but at those renewal fees there is no "sandbox", there has to be an aggressive, long-term marketing strategy in place to educate users. And it's all on you, the registry/registrars aren't doing their part. And I think the only route to take in that case would be to owning the matching .coms, and flipping the websites so that the .com routes to the .cars.

Sorry to hear clasione, but I gotta say, at 9k I think you could have made much better investment choices in a new Gtld rather than putting all eggs in one basket. But live and learn as we all do, I really hope that hasn't soured things up for you in terms of how you view the new extensions in the coming years. Thanks for sharing.

•••
.biz and .science was the worst extensions for me.

•••
That's too bad man. That's a heck of a lot of capital needed for just 3 domains. And not just one-time, but yearly. I'm assuming you didn't own the .com versions? I mean the tld is good, and so were your names, but at those renewal fees there is no "sandbox", there has to be an aggressive, long-term marketing strategy in place to educate users. And it's all on you, the registry/registrars aren't doing their part. And I think the only route to take in that case would be to owning the matching .coms, and flipping the websites so that the .com routes to the .cars.

Sorry to hear clasione, but I gotta say, at 9k I think you could have made much better investment choices in a new Gtld rather than putting all eggs in one basket. But live and learn as we all do, I really hope that hasn't soured things up for you in terms of how you view the new extensions in the coming years. Thanks for sharing.

It was a gamble from the beginning. I had a good cars program that was very profitable at the time. The expense didn't hurt that much and was gobbled up in all sorts of advertising expenses. Live and learn. I liked the .cars domain initially and grabbed it in case new gTLDs took off. Didn't really happen. Was a good marketing buzz boost for a while though. Few regrets with it.

Wrote an article on it few years back:
Why I Told My “New gTLD” Project to “Suck It” – Will Rebrand with King of all URLs
https://www.strategicrevenue.com/wh...o-suck-it-will-rebrand-with-king-of-all-urls/

Last edited:
•••
.biz and .science was the worst extensions for me.
Yeah, I really thought .biz would take off, but out of 150 carefully selected one word names, only 3 sold for low $xxx. Renewal prices killed the idea of keeping them for a 2nd year. After that I would buy select .biz but rarely get offers. I have a few now that I renewed for 2 years, but when they die, I'm done.

I'm only doing .com, .org, .tv, .co and some .net. But I admit, I get the urge to buy other TLD's every time I see some new TLD sold with a big price.

•••
It was a gamble from the beginning. I had a good cars program that was very profitable at the time. The expense didn't hurt that much and was gobbled up in all sorts of advertising expenses. Live and learn. I liked the .cars domain initially and grabbed it in case new gTLDs took off. Didn't really happen. Was a good marketing buzz boost for a while though. Few regrets with it.

Wrote an article on it few years back:
Why I Told My “New gTLD” Project to “Suck It” – Will Rebrand with King of all URLs
https://www.strategicrevenue.com/wh...o-suck-it-will-rebrand-with-king-of-all-urls/
Ok well that's good to hear- few regrets= no complaints. I will check out your article.. but before doing so, I have to say, I smell a .com rebrand inside of it...

all fine, but IMO the King of URLs in terms of a rebrand is not the one that's most recognized, it's the one that's the best match! Everything else is education, and patience!

**edit**

Went to it. I remember this article, you posted it in Industry News here on NP awhile back. Great article, sensible. Thanks.

Last edited:
•••
.mobi

as far as type of domains, numeric .co sucked

•••
not only extensions sucked but niches like OLED was a total blowout! i was 5 years too early doh

hope 5g isnt the same but i only have a few 5g as i hope im a bit smarter now. lol

•••
Dot .mobi brought me into domaining and left a big loss. Today it feels like I visited an expensive private school.

•••
What sense in 5G domains for endusers???

•••
5g domains are good if relates to the dangers of it imo

•••
Back