IT.COM

debate What extension are you going with?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

What extension are you going with?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • net

votes
    22.1%
  • org

votes
    16.8%
  • io

votes
    13.0%
  • tv

votes
    0.0%
  • co

votes
    22.1%
  • ai

votes
    2.3%
  • ly

vote
    0.8%
  • sc

votes
    0.0%
  • world

votes
    2.3%
  • site

vote
    0.8%
  • website

vote
    0.8%

votes
    1.5%
  • tech

votes
    0.0%
  • media

votes
    0.0%
  • xyz

votes
    3.1%

vote
    0.8%
  • vc

votes
    0.0%
  • gg

votes
    0.0%
  • us

vote
    0.8%
  • me

vote
    0.8%
  • global

votes
    0.0%
  • club

votes
    0.0%
  • other

votes
    12.2%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
If your company decided on being on a name and it was one particular word, no alternatives and nothing added Just this one word. The .com is taken and not for sale. This is for a business looking to do business worldwide not just it's local country. What extension are you going with?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
.CO is winning. I agree. The .CO after-market is going hot.

•••
.net, will always be the "#2" extension for me. Seeing it, just screams "Cant afford .com" to me. Why does Slideshare.com re-lead to Slideshare.net? Lol. Would someone like to provide me an example of a ".Com" leading to a ".Co"? Preferably not located in home country of ext Columbia.)

".co" rationale; "shorter way, to write .com, maybe replace .com?" can only take u so far.

There's a reason .net is "one of the original top-level domains."

The age of extension, matters more to me, more than the age of the domain imo.

Last edited:
•••
.net, will always be the "#2" extension for me.

The ".co" excuse; "shorter way to write .com" can only take u so far.

There's a reason .net is "one of the original top-level domains."

The age of extension, matters more to me, more than age of domain imo

Epik uses almost no .NET. The reason why .NET is useful is for this:

https://as34962.net/

If you host your own "Autonomous System", that is where NetOps posts their info. That was the intended use:

upload_2019-10-12_18-24-17.png

The renewal fees for .NET are going up and to the right. That said, they are cheaper than .CO so I would rate them equal. As for after-market, the deal of the year was $0.99 .CO.

Great success stories unfolding there:

https://www.namepros.com/threads/co-domain-registrations-at-epik.1143209/page-10#post-7435425

For speculation .NET is not every going to be one to give great leverage. However a .CO on promo has great prospects. The brutal renewal fee keeps the expiry stream strong.

•••
Epik uses almost no .NET. The reason why .NET is useful is for this:

https://as34962.net/

If you host your own "Autonomous System", that is where NetOps posts their info. That was the intended use:

Show attachment 131595

The renewal fees for .NET are going up and to the right. That said, they are cheaper than .CO so I would rate them equal. As for after-market, the deal of the year was $0.99 .CO.

Great success stories unfolding there:

https://www.namepros.com/threads/co-domain-registrations-at-epik.1143209/page-10#post-7435425

For speculation .NET is not every going to be one to give great leverage. However a .CO on promo has great prospects. The brutal renewal fee keeps the expiry stream strong.

Thanks, Rob, for always inciteful post. I provided Slideshare example of a reputable company prefer .net over .com albeit .net better for "sharing"! (that y use Armored.net, Rob?!!)

Hope me editing my post, doesn't change anything. Still did not know that on net, thanks, Rob!

Last edited:
•••
It would depend on the business name. There is no other catch-all extension quite like .com, particularly for single words, but there are many options now for making a smart combination with the right extension. In many cases the extension itself may be considered part of the business name, ie. "My.Example" is the domain and "My Example" is the business name.

Out of the list, .world seems the obvious choice looking to span globally, but flying blind without knowing the name I chose /other and it would be .one for me.

Have never been particularly fond of .co, it's like the .xyz of the nGTLD world. Its like, unless your company actually uses "Brick Layers & Co" or something akin, just makes no sense, even as second fiddle to .com.
@Rob Monster not as what's hot in aftermarket, but as what you would use as a global name. I would take Example.net or Example.NEW over the .co.

•••
I go with good names that make sense irrespective of the tld. In saying that .co is likely the best alternative at the moment along with .io. Some startups really do favour these TLDs.

Of course most of my investments these days are .com but in saying that I do have some .co and some new gtlds as well. I still think new gtlds make sense where the left of the dot flows with the right. For example one recent pickup of mine is start (dot) marketing.

•••
Thanks, Rob, for always inciteful post. I provided Slideshare example of a reputable company prefer .net over .com albeit .net better for"sharing"! (that y use Armored.net, Rob?!!)

Hope me editing my post, doesn't change anythin. Still did not kno that about net, thanks, Rob!

Great question.

Armored.net was the second fan favorite in the poll we did for selecting a winning domain for secure cloud storage product. The domain was bought here on NamePros. That said, a .COM candidate was actually the winner but we could not manage to contact the registrant to buy that one: CloudFortress.com.

So, yes times 1000 I prefer .COM for any speculation but for $1-3, a .CO offers a one year window for very strong speculative upside. I don't really like .CO when it gets above $8, since it is more than .COM, so we set our .CO price at $7.99 so that folks can get great pricing on .CO expiry stream 24/7.

•••
If your company decided on being on a name and it was one particular word, no alternatives and nothing added Just this one word. The .com is taken and not for sale. This is for a business looking to do business worldwide not just it's local country. What extension are you going with?

Based on what you stated, I chose .co as a general answer. But I think it's quite situation dependent as to whether it would be the best choice for a company.

•••
•••
If your company decided on being on a name and it was one particular word, no alternatives and nothing added Just this one word. The .com is taken and not for sale.

I would buy the .COM domain.
Everything is for sale, if the price is right.

:xf.smile:

•••
I put other because in 2019 I'd probably choose Word1+Word2.com .. lol .. I know I'm cheating .. but there are plenty of great 2+ word .com's out there.

That being said .. the question as is, isn't really appropriate .. my actual choice would completely depend on:
1 - The type of business and just as important ...
2 - The target market

Your choice of TLD is pretty much just as important (in a different way) as the SLD. I'd never recommend anyone use anything other than .com without knowing at least those 2 crucial details.

I'd also never encourage anyone to use .ai or .io as long as their infrastructure and management are based on tiny ocean islands prone to hurricanes and cyclones (I think one of them has changed .. but the fact I forget which kinda says a lot as well .. lol)

Also .. .tv .tech .media .gg and .us (posibly others) really should not be in the list as they aren't generic and/or global in scope (or repurposed scope)

So, yes times 1000 I prefer .COM for any speculation but for $1-3, a .CO offers a one year window for very strong speculative upside. I don't really like .CO when it gets above $8, since it is more than .COM, so we set our .CO price at $7.99 so that folks can get great pricing on .CO expiry stream 24/7.
Extra yes ... I've done rather well with .co .. but you need to be smart about your acquisition costs since the math is VERY different from .com's. Deep discounts really help .. and in the end you should only renew only the very best 1-word / 1-term .co's. The addition of new "Premium" level pricing will probably hurt .co's from a domainer perspective if they don't have the same 1st year discounts (love those $1 domains)

Last edited:
•••
•••
.PRO or the most matching nTLD

•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
Tough task. Depending on the type of company I would prefer org net tv me but lacking this choice I would take .online because it can‘t be wrong and will always look and sound well with my 1-word company name.

•••
The age of extension, matters more to me, more than the age of the domain imo.
But are not many country code similar age? For example .co has been since 1991, 28 years. Perhaps I misunderstand your point. Sure a few like .us and .uk go back to 1985, and a number more in 1986 including .fi, but is a 34 year old extension better necessarily than a 28 year old one?

To me it was hard to choose one as I agree as others have said that it depends on the type of company. If I was code tech based would choose .io, .tech or depending on focus .app, for example. If I was in online video would definitely consider .tv.

Overall I voted .co but my choice for specific types of business would be different.

Bob

•••
if a tech startup then .io, if media then .tv, otherwise name{group/ltd/global/relevant keyword}.com

•••
If I was a tech business, io all the way.

I feel Co is confusing. Many see it as typo

•••
.CO is winning. I agree. The .CO after-market is going hot.

Rob...i think more like a business guy/gal and NOT a domainer. .Co is my go to domain if .com isn't available because .net is old, tired and so yesteryear imho. Take for example, Cox.net (one of the largest communication companies in the world) now points it's .net name to Cox.com. I've been wondering for years when they were going to change? One of my biggest projects/businesses to date owns a short "catchy" name that uses the .co extension because the .com was taken, but not in use. I trademarked the name because of it's potential to generate over a hundred million dollars a year in revenues.

Patrick Byrne of Overstock helped put .co on the map despite his failed efforts to re-brand Overstock. Here are the reasons i like .co as an alternative backup to .com;

1) it's short
2) it's concise
3) it's recognizable
4) it's economical
5) more upside potential than downside risk

•••
As I wrote also in another thread here, imo we should be careful with .co: .co can be usually registered for few bucks (initial first year reg), but then renewals are around $30. And that is just too much imo, unless you have really good 1 word name, where it will make sense from math point of view.

There are many people who register 200 .co names in their first year, do not sell any, and drop everything. This is just waste of money. Renewals must be sustainable, otherwise it is just gamble, not an investment.

Unless it is very good name byt itself, I recommend do not go this direction.

From options above I like .world most, but it really depends on what is the keyword (it would need to go semantically well with .world). One of the reasons is that there are some registrars out there where we can keep .world names for less then $10 in terms of standard renewals, so such domains are very easy to hold longterm :)

•••
Last edited:
•••
I had only 1 good .co offer of $1.5K - and it wasn't paid, they rethinked and purchased another domain.

•••
Back