IT.COM

discuss What are the best automatic appraisal systems/services today?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Brands.International

MarekTop Member
Impact
Hi,

I would like to know your opinion: what are the best appraisal systems/services available today? Now I am speaking about automated services (engines). I know that they can not really replace appraisals of experienced human professional, but I guess they should at least give some reasonable hints.

I am really surprised when testing my domains how big differences are between different appraisal engines (I speak about new TLDs now). Some domain which for example Estibot evaluate for USD 500 is appraised as USD 10k + when using Sedo engine, and vice-versa. I see no logic there. I do not even speak about GoDaddy's certificates, which seems to evaluate many new TLDs between 24-96, no matter what the domain is.

What is your experience and opinion? Are you using some automatic appraisal services, and are they beneficial for you?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
lots of translations, lol. Like you said, its a hint that the domain might be valuable but until you knock it around with human elements that's all you have is a hint. best of luck.

•••
I put no real value in using automated domain valuation sites like Estibot and others. The reason for me is that many domains are very brandable and the valuation engine they employ only takes into consideration key words, current traffic, links and a few other metrics. The problem is that given this information domains like Yahoo, Google and Monster would have never gotten a high valuation based on the domain name alone if they didn't have the traffic to back their valuation. If someone would have thrown those names into a valuation checker before they became what they are only monster might have given any decent results. Someone saw the potential brand and marketing opportunities involved with the domain names they chose.

•••
there really isnt. Better to stay away from them. Case in point, Guta sold a domain name for 50k while one of the automated appraisal system valued the name at 15$.

•••
Almost the automatic appraisal web services are now not exactly. And usually the price comes with customers demand, if the domain meet their requirements, they're will to pay very high to own, otherwise your domains are useless until you find the right customers.

•••
In real estate here in the US, people use automated systems for property values and real estate agents have to deal with this similar issue all the time.

While domainers are smart enough not to sell for automated appraisal prices unless it helps (which would be rare), i suspect these services might, in some situations, create confusion for prospective buyers that might stumble upon them.

The good news is that i personally havent had a buyer mention any automated value.

•••
As mentioned by others, always consider the human element. What is your gut feeling? Does is sound awkward? Does it pass the radio test? Is there going to be a buyer?

•••
Generally all these tools are just guidelines, not to be taken to be accurate at all. However both Estibot and Sedo use different criteria to value a domain so sometimes if a domain has a good estimate value on one of the platforms then it warrants a closer look from me, so I would start to dig deeper. If the domain has a good estimate price on both Estibot AND Sedo...then it definitely peaks my interests and I dig even deeper.

•••
High Estibot value could have one use: to quote it in Flippa auction.

•••
High Estibot value could have one use: to quote it in Flippa auction.

I personally laugh when I see someone say it is valued by Estibot at $x,xxx. I place value on real revenue, traffic and brandability. Never what an automated system says. You are right though that is what people use Estibot for. It is the hope of driving up the price because people typically will get in a frenzy and forget about reality when bidding on something. I go to a lot of live auctions and see this a lot. They tend to bid up items past the actual retail price just to say they won.

•••
Generally all these tools are just guidelines, not to be taken to be accurate at all. However both Estibot and Sedo use different criteria to value a domain so sometimes if a domain has a good estimate value on one of the platforms then it warrants a closer look from me, so I would start to dig deeper. If the domain has a good estimate price on both Estibot AND Sedo...then it definitely peaks my interests and I dig even deeper.
Totally agree with this..sometimes automated appraisals can show us some directions, which otherwise might go unnoticed.

I wanted to ask, are you using (or do you know) any other automated appraisals except Estibot and Sedo?

•••
Its like asking what are the best horoscopes today. Forget automatic evaluation tools.

•••
Totally agree with this..sometimes automated appraisals can show us some directions, which otherwise might go unnoticed.

I wanted to ask, are you using (or do you know) any other automated appraisals except Estibot and Sedo?

DomainIndex.com is also another one.

•••
•••
I have just checked it, it seems interesting, thank you for the tip!
Well I have noticed tha
DomainIndex.com is also another one.
Well I have noticed that domain index throws different results from other engines, recently i checked a domain name which was 5$ value on estibot being 13k$ on domain index,so valuating a domain is still a mystery!.

Last edited:
•••
They are far from perfect but at least estibot spells out the search stats in its basis for valuation. The valuation should be a starting point, nothing more however.

•••
Well I have noticed tha

Well I have noticed that domain index throws different results from other engines, recently i checked a domain name which was 5$ value on estibot being 13k$ on domain index,so difficult to valuate a domain name if we have to trust automated appraisal engines.

When it comes to actual valuations the automatic appraisals are never to be trusted mate, none of them... :)

The other info they provide is useful..

Last edited:
•••
By the time Np has free appraisal section, i think autoappraisal engines are useless. As mentioned before, the only good with estibot is that you can check the exact match of searches. And check if a domain has other extensions registered (however, you can see this through the registrar)

•••
Automatic appraisal is useless. Human appraisal is better to some extent

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back