IT.COM

advice What am I doing wrong

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Mr De

Established Member
Impact
Am a month into domain industry with 20 domain in my portfolio but I noticed most of my domain get view daily at undeveloped but no sale or offer yet.

What could be reasons for no sale or offer?

Is my price too high ?

I'll appreciate any information that could lead to sale .
Thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
90% domains are not sold in industry...
More like 99% are not sold! :sneaky:

And here's a newcomer but with 20 domains to his name, asking how come none of his names found buyers in his first month of... waiting for buyers to beat a path to his doorstep! :nailbiting:

People at large have very romantic ideas about domaining, haven't they?

Last edited:
•••
More like 99% are not sold! :sneaky:

And here's a newcomer but with 20 domains to his name, asking how come none of his names found buyers in his first month of... waiting for buyers to beat a path to his doorstep! :nailbiting:

People at large have very romantic ideas about domaining, haven't they?

Honestly I was curious to know if am doing things right or wrong. It better to checkmate yourself at every stage at new adventure. Thanks for lot of inspiration from you and all members that has contribute to this thread. Just want to be careful the way I acquiring my portfolio so as to have an healthy one .

•••
Just want to be careful the way I acquiring my portfolio so as to have an healthy one .

Congratulations on having the maturity to focus on questions of quality, opinions from others, and to evaluate your portfolio regularly. Too many of us rushed into too many domains too fast.

•••
I personally think starting with geo domains is not the best way to get profit and of course neither to get fast experience for a newcomer. I have learnt a lot making mistakes and reading and chatting a lot here, which I made lot of friends, but I would suggest start studying which niches are hot nowadays and try any handreg, try register brandables from 5 to 7 characters, no hyphens no numbers, and see how it goes. The more you read here the more money and mistakes you will avoid. BUT! I think the best way to learn after the reading here option , is registering some domains and learn how it goes, when you feel you are loosing money, it will hurts, then you will pay attention and become better and better step by step.
To sum up, I repeat again, don’t think would be the best option for a newbie to make outbound with geodomains. Study the main tdl’s, register any .net .org according to the sales at namebio, namepros etc... I am not a master domainer, but the little exp I learnt was on that way. Peace.

Last edited:
•••
Not enough patience. Other than that can't say without seeing the names for sale :xf.smile:

Thanks for warmth advice, somes of name are Geo +keyword and others are two keywords domain.

•••
well, if the industry average percent to sell a name is 2% per year. and you have 20 names - statistically it would take about 2 and half years to sell a name.

That's only assuming you have really good names - crap names will never sell

Thanks for response. .... what are the minimum domain require for newbie? Any other strategy to employ for increase sales %?

•••
Most in here in first year have no idea so i would assume the views are your own. If it all was a simple as one listing selling domains would be simple. Your expecting the direct type in and your domain to be first choice with your chosen method and the domain was available last 20 years. Unless your on the latest technology keywords this method is wishful thinking on newly registered domains.

Thanks @lock , if I may ask what re the latest technology Keywords ideas atleast to have clue on what you mean?

•••
I have over 150 names on undeveloped.com, I have never receive an offer on my names, even when I set it to $10 as starting bid..

How many months are you into domain industry? And what platform best work for you ?

•••
What made you think domains would sell in 1 month 😂 ? Those geo ones need outbound or sell them here. My first major sale was 6 months in and part of that was sheer luck. Study, figure out what is good and what is not. It takes awhile. I doubt the learning ever ends as the market changes.

Thanks for advice. ....

•••
How do I set up Google analytics? Is it for user profile or every single domain in my portfolio?
I dont think its has any value, Instead I would use "Make offer" and remove the price from Undeveloped landing page.

I also list my domain on every marketplace with maximum of BIN, Listing name on SEDO, Godaddy and Afternic could bring you some sales as well but not in a month (though its possible if you are too lucky) .

•••
Have listed my domain at Afternic and Undeveloped. Can you list domain from another registrar on Godaddy marketplaces?
Yes,

You can list domain from any register on Godaddy marketplace

•••
I have to agree with @Corey, without seeing the names it's really hard to tell.

For the volume game, sales are a simple function of quantity. A widely accepted metric is that a profitable portfolio will sell at 2% rate or higher per annum.

With 20 domains, a successful portfolio based on that metric is looking at over two years in which to make a sale.

•••
...But as individual what re your take on those name listed above? What is your incentive for those domain names?
Like I said before, each of us has his/her own strategy and chooses domains accordingly. I am not about to share mine here except to say that your domains don't fit my interests at all (read: I would not have registered them for lack of sufficient sales potential). Hey, but that's just me... what do I know about the Iowa courier industry? (n)
More to the point: what do you know about this courier business and others? At a guess, not that much, right? This is based on your own words above, to wit: Thanks @brandingtheweb, I'll as you said, but the problem of outbound is finding the dm. Any better info on how to find dm of prospects ?

Like I said before: you need to know this stuff (i.e. what prospects and how to find them) before you click that "Register" button!

Last edited:
•••
Am a month into domain industry with 20 domain in my portfolio but I noticed most of my domain get view daily at undeveloped but no sale or offer yet.

Is my price too high ?

Thanks
Are those 20 domains in 1 niche?
for example: I own about 50 VR domains, but because the VR niche isn't that hot at this moment I get almost no offers and no sales.
That's why in the near future I plan to diversify my portfolio.

•••
well, if the industry average percent to sell a name is 2% per year. and you have 20 names - statistically it would take about 2 and half years to sell a name.

That's only assuming you have really good names - crap names will never sell

True, and it's often a nonsensical market. I have been domaining about one year. I have some names I think are great which haven't sold, and I have sold names this year which I regretted buying and was 100% sure would never sell.

It just takes patience.

•••

Is my price too high ?

Thanks

All depends on the domains you hold having 20 domains doesnt mean you will just get offers thats a very small amount but best of luck

•••
Think about how you will sell a domain before acquiring it. Read which type of domains were recently sold. Namebio is the most popular place for this, also you can follow https://www.namepros.com/threads/report-completed-domain-name-sales-here.83628/ However as always, everything has 2 sides like coins, visible side and invisible side. Be skeptic especially on public data. I mean unsold domains are never reported. All we can find reported sales and those are just a piece of total sales, not the whole.

You will create your own knowledge by trial and errors. Try all types of domains and then you will know what to focus on. Anything can work well if you do it right. Success usually is not hidden in what to do, is rather in how you do. Focus on only the things you do right or better. If you are good at hand registering focus on it (your verbal skills maybe outstanding), whatever you do better focus on it. Know your own talents first and then search for the areas that your talents can bring you the most competitive advantage against to the other players of the same game. Every person has unique talents and background. You may be good at math, if so, register/buy more math related domains. You may focus on geo domains about the locations you actually know or lived in, or industries you worked in before, or areas you studied, or about your family business if your parents are/were business owners. Technically you can register/buy in any type of domains. But if you choose the domains related to the areas you know, you can have better ideas on what to do with those domains, how to sell them and for which price. Never buy or register randomly just to raise the number of domains you own or just to spend your budget faster. Buy slowly to sell quickly. If you sell 10% of your domains each year, you will need only 10 domains to sell 1 domain in 1 year. Think before buying/registering not after. Remember anything can work well if you do it right. Stop looking for the best thing to do, look for the best ways to do something that is done by others. Focus on the things that you say/believe you will do better than others. I hope I could help.

Thanks for the advice...... it's really helpful

•••
Send them an email letting them know your selling it for ? and if they are interested. You have quite a few prospects to send the email to and hopefully someone replies.
And, to add to this well explained offering techniq, leave a certain amount of waiting patience as more and more businesses are using auto responding and anti-spam systems, so another obstacle is realistic and potential end users/buyers may not read emails immediately but occasionally as during web site maintenance, hosting backup etc.

•••
Also, there are other extensive selling techniques as better positioned auctions like Sedo Great Domain Auctions and other specials, or further developing startup website with affiliated publishing and generating interest for domain through more broad Google SERP.
Still, it is quite hard to work on domain sale marketing and website publishing, so I have 3 domains sales in 10 years on the one hand, and other, somewhere around 70-90 websites released. To add, that those websites services I've managed were in personal contacts. So combining it into real business offer, as next level of services - outstanding domain with optional website, leads to business startup/business expansion. Good luck.

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
What re the requirements to list of BrandBucket? Will my domains get see by potential buyer because I read somewhere that with few domain you hardly get view there.
Hello again, well BrandBucket is a marketplace specialized in brand able domain names. You can subscribe and submit up to 10 domains(over that there are paid plans) on review approval, and if approved and listed(under terms) domains will be distributed through their marketing channels in addition to website presentation to huge volume of visitors mostly business people and entrepreneurs. They are one of the best businesses of such kind, but there is quite tight approval rate as they are maintaining positions of currently active domains portfolio and investment in those.
Regards

Last edited:
•••
I personally think starting with geo domains is not the best way to get profit and of course neither to get fast experience for a newcomer. I have learnt a lot making mistakes and reading and chatting a lot here, which I made lot of friends, but I would suggest start studying which niches are hot nowadays and try any handreg, try register brandables from 5 to 7 characters, no hyphens no numbers, and see how it goes. The more you read here the more money and mistakes you will avoid. BUT! I think the best way to learn after the reading here option , is registering some domains and learn how it goes, when you feel you are loosing money, it will hurts, then you will pay attention and become better and better step by step.
To sum up, I repeat again, don’t think would be the best option for a newbie to make outbound with geodomains. Study the main tdl’s, register any .net .org according to the sales at namebio, namepros etc... I am not a master domainer, but the little exp I learnt was on that way. Peace.

Thanks for your candid advice @erchaman, I quiet agree with you on geo domain and outbound for newbie it made it difficult for you to understand the in depth knowledge of domaining and with competition for geo domain and difficulty of finding prospects lead.
Jus like you said, I'll give more attention to generic domain name and looking into brandables name and see where it goes but register .Net or .org of domain sales report would it be viable at long run? Can you still make good profit on the investment since most people want .coms name?
Between .net and .org which one have high sale rate and which one people are willing to pay big money for?

Last edited:
•••
Eg Your watching a news affair program on TV and someone has had their vision effected by virtual reality and they called it "virtual blindness" so you register the domain in case it becomes a bigger thing.
Eg someone invents a roll up TV you buy the domain rolluptv.com when they are busy trying with their parent brand.

Thanks ......

•••
Those views are mostly fake. One of the drawbacks of that platform. Try add google analytics and you'll see

How do I set up Google analytics? Is it for user profile or every single domain in my portfolio?

•••
I dont think its has any value, Instead I would use "Make offer" and remove the price from Undeveloped landing page.

I also list my domain on every marketplace with maximum of BIN, Listing name on SEDO, Godaddy and Afternic could bring you some sales as well but not in a month (though its possible if you are too lucky) .

Have listed my domain at Afternic and Undeveloped. Can you list domain from another registrar on Godaddy marketplaces?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back