IT.COM

advice What am I doing wrong

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Mr De

Established Member
Impact
Am a month into domain industry with 20 domain in my portfolio but I noticed most of my domain get view daily at undeveloped but no sale or offer yet.

What could be reasons for no sale or offer?

Is my price too high ?

I'll appreciate any information that could lead to sale .
Thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
well, if the industry average percent to sell a name is 2% per year. and you have 20 names - statistically it would take about 2 and half years to sell a name.

That's only assuming you have really good names - crap names will never sell

Last edited:
•••
If you think domaining is tough, wait - you ain't seen nothing yet. 1 month is not enough to measure the full scale of disappointment that is expecting you.

•••
If i had sold a name my first month of domaining i would have surprised my own self, expectations of domainers these days are unrealistic IMO. If it was just that easy to buy a name and sell it, well, that is what i call effortless money, which does not exist, that is a dream world, it would be the same as money growing on trees, pigs flying through the sky, money for nothing and the chicks for free lol.

•••
Not enough patience. Other than that can't say without seeing the names for sale :xf.smile:

•••
There are only 2 things you need: Good names and patience

•••
Eg Your watching a news affair program on TV and someone has had their vision effected by virtual reality and they called it "virtual blindness" so you register the domain in case it becomes a bigger thing.
Eg someone invents a roll up TV you buy the domain rolluptv.com when they are busy trying with their parent brand.

•••
1 month is not enough to measure the full scale of disappointment that is expecting you.
Well, aren't you a ray of sunshine. :-P:xf.laugh:

•••
Think about how you will sell a domain before acquiring it. Read which type of domains were recently sold. Namebio is the most popular place for this, also you can follow https://www.namepros.com/threads/report-completed-domain-name-sales-here.83628/ However as always, everything has 2 sides like coins, visible side and invisible side. Be skeptic especially on public data. I mean unsold domains are never reported. All we can find reported sales and those are just a piece of total sales, not the whole.

You will create your own knowledge by trial and errors. Try all types of domains and then you will know what to focus on. Anything can work well if you do it right. Success usually is not hidden in what to do, is rather in how you do. Focus on only the things you do right or better. If you are good at hand registering focus on it (your verbal skills maybe outstanding), whatever you do better focus on it. Know your own talents first and then search for the areas that your talents can bring you the most competitive advantage against to the other players of the same game. Every person has unique talents and background. You may be good at math, if so, register/buy more math related domains. You may focus on geo domains about the locations you actually know or lived in, or industries you worked in before, or areas you studied, or about your family business if your parents are/were business owners. Technically you can register/buy in any type of domains. But if you choose the domains related to the areas you know, you can have better ideas on what to do with those domains, how to sell them and for which price. Never buy or register randomly just to raise the number of domains you own or just to spend your budget faster. Buy slowly to sell quickly. If you sell 10% of your domains each year, you will need only 10 domains to sell 1 domain in 1 year. Think before buying/registering not after. Remember anything can work well if you do it right. Stop looking for the best thing to do, look for the best ways to do something that is done by others. Focus on the things that you say/believe you will do better than others. I hope I could help.

•••
What made you think domains would sell in 1 month 😂 ? Those geo ones need outbound or sell them here. My first major sale was 6 months in and part of that was sheer luck. Study, figure out what is good and what is not. It takes awhile. I doubt the learning ever ends as the market changes.

Last edited:
•••
Like I said earlier, some of the names are geo+keywords and two keywords.

iowacourier
idahocourier
chainski
Keymaven
chainled
Renocourierservice
Castlepayment
Denverprintingservice
Cedarchain
waresupport
Phiamart
Tasteangeles
chicagotel
And many more all are in King. What are your view on those name? Where should should be my focus area's? I know as newbie I need to develop myself in all areas but one after the others
Do you have any idea who is your target buyer for each of these names? And how they would make money off them, hence have an incentive to pay you more than reg fee for them?

As has been mentioned before, Geo names need to be proactively promoted to potential buyers (read: you need to outbound). Then there are good geo names and bad, useless geo names. How to know which is which? Well, put yourself in your target buyer's shoes and think of a reason the domain in question would improve their bottom line... that's the potential domain buyer's bottom line, not yours!

And last but not least, you need to perform this due diligence before you handreg or buy the domain at auction!

There are many good geo domains available for hand registering, but don't expect anybody here to spoonfeed you and give away their strategies. But it's not rocket science, just use common sense, ask yourself the right questions (like the ones I've mentioned above) and you'll be on your way to choosing better domains. Domaining is a learning experience, this will take months (if you're lucky or very disciplined and work your ass off 24/7), more likely a couple of years...

Last edited:
•••
Thanks @brandingtheweb, I'll as you said, but the problem of outbound is finding the dm. Any better info on how to find dm of prospects ? As an individual what is your thoughts concerning those names?
Put yourselves in the place of the end user and figure out how you can benefit from the name. I personally like geo keyword especially when it's targeted towards someone that does business locally such as lawyers, doctors, etc.
In the case of your Iowa courier for example I believe it can be used effectively in ppc as another means to drive targeted traffic to the business.
It may also be a good way to drive offline traffic especially if the businesses domain name is long or hard to remember.
As for reaching the person in charge when it comes to local businesses usually the primary contact is good enough. I would also mention the domain name in the subject line to get their attention without them having to open the email.

•••
Thanks for warmth advice, somes of name are Geo +keyword and others are two keywords domain.
Geos usually need some outbound emails to sell. Read the forum and you'll see some good stuff that should help.

•••
Most in here in first year have no idea so i would assume the views are your own. If it all was a simple as one listing selling domains would be simple. Your expecting the direct type in and your domain to be first choice with your chosen method and the domain was available last 20 years. Unless your on the latest technology keywords this method is wishful thinking on newly registered domains.

•••
I have over 150 names on undeveloped.com, I have never receive an offer on my names, even when I set it to $10 as starting bid..

•••
90% domains are not sold in industry,
But 10% will gives you other ones cost as well as good ROI

•••
Thanks for response. .... what are the minimum domain require for newbie? Any other strategy to employ for increase sales %?

If you sell 1% of your domains in 1 year, you need 100 domains to sell 1 domain in 1 year.
Price affects profitability, sales volume and the minimum number of domains.
Good domain + low price combination will be the winner with little or no marketing effort.
If you are perfect at marketing then you don't need anything as it's a talent like gold mine, you wouldn't even need to own any domain as you would sell domains of other people for commission. As you see, the first thing which should be defined is what you want to be, marketer, domainer, domain investor, reseller, etc. Then it would be easier to specialize in one of them.

Last edited:
•••
Success usually is not hidden in what to do, is rather in how you do.
You got me with this quote.:xf.wink: You sound almost like a motivational speaker but, you gave a golden nugget. Thanks @poweredbyme

•••
I know it's been said already by others, but patience is key. I suggest playing the long game and focusing on owning a small number of very high quality domain names if possible where the renewals don't really factor in much bc if you sell one it easily pays for years of renewals and nets big profit. It's kind of like the set it and forget it type thinking. However, there are lots of different ways to make money in this industry and this is just one of them.

•••
If i had sold a name my first month of domaining i would have surprised my own self, expectations of domainers these days are unrealistic IMO. If it was just that easy to buy a name and sell it, well, that is what i call effortless money, which does not exist, that is a dream world, it would be the same as money growing on trees, pigs flying through the sky, money for nothing and the chicks for free lol.

Thanks @ X, my expectations is to start slow and grow in depth knowledge of the industry. The reasons why I ask those questions is to checkmate myself and see if am doing things right or wrong. Any advice and info will be use to further my knowledge of the industry.

•••
Those views are mostly fake. One of the drawbacks of that platform. Try add google analytics and you'll see

•••
Thanks @ X, my expectations is to start slow and grow in depth knowledge of the industry. The reasons why I ask those questions is to checkmate myself and see if am doing things right or wrong. Any advice and info will be use to further my knowledge of the industry.

You sound like you are on the right track, take it slow and build your portfolio wisely , if you are solely looking to be a domain name reseller, you will need a fair amount of capital to begin flipping names.

You will need to be purchasing inventory via domain auction houses and ect, flipping and restocking inventory is quite the task, it becomes a vicious circle to be able to profit and restock

•••
without knowing the domain names, it makes it difficult to give advice.

Cheers
Corey

•••
Like I said earlier, some of the names are geo+keywords and two keywords.

iowacourier
idahocourier
chainski
Keymaven
chainled
Renocourierservice
Castlepayment
Denverprintingservice
Cedarchain
waresupport
Phiamart
Tasteangeles
chicagotel
And many more all are in King. What are your view on those name? Where should should be my focus area's? I know as newbie I need to develop myself in all areas but one after the others
For example: Google "Iowa courier" and you will see quite a few that use the term to describe their services. Send them an email letting them know your selling it for ? and if they are interested. You have quite a few prospects to send the email to and hopefully someone replies.

•••
Lots of good advice already offered that I won't repeat other than to emphasize the point that identifying potential purchasers who would benefit from acquiring your name, and getting them aware of it, are key points. Also keep in mind that different types of domains sell best at different venues so try multiple ones but with BIN if you have it only at one.

A solid .com portfolio has on average about 1 sale per about 100 names per year. Let's say 1 in 200 since you are new and building contacts, learning ropes, etc. This means that there would be 1 chance in 120 that you would have an offer on one of your 20 names in the first month.

I really hope you have a sale soon (and obviously some beat odds), but statistics suggests patience needed.

Bob

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back