Domain Empire

discuss What? 10yoni5nnnn.com sold for $24,000 at Uniregistry!!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I was going through Uniregistry's 1Q-2018 aftermarket domain sales at DnJournal.com.

upload_2018-4-26_14-51-13.png

One domain name that caught my eye was 10yoni5nnnn.com which sold for $24,000. I found it strange as this domain name didn't make any sense to me. Then, I searched Google. But I couldn't find anything significant that justified a $24,000 price tag for 10yoni5nnnn.com.

Then, I thought maybe it's a Chinese phrase or term. So, I checked whois to see if the registrant is from China. But, to my surprise, I found out that this domain name was never registered!!!

Your thoughts?

upload_2018-4-26_14-50-50.png

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Could it possibly be a data import issue.
I would guess it maybe indicates "10 year old 4or5 N.com" or something like that. Maybe a category placeholder from whatever system the sale is reported from rather than the actual domain name.

•••
I saw it, was amazed.

thanks for the thread.

I wonder what the story is.. puzzling

•••
Uniregistry Market (formerly DomainNameSales) was exposed in the past for reporting fake sales.

Anyone using their service could/can add a domain name (unregistered or registered), mark it as sold for any amount, and then Uniregistry reports it as a domain sale to DNJournal, NameBio, etc., and no one involved validates the sales. It's a preeminent loophole in domain sales reporting.

I don't know why @Michael is allowing it in NameBio. DNJournal is run by one man doing everything by hand, but I expect more from NameBio.

Last edited:
•••
Uniregistry Market (formerly DomainNameSales) was exposed in the past for reporting fake sales.

Where was this? The only thing I've ever noticed is they sometimes report sales that were payment plans that haven't been paid in full yet, which you can sometimes tell from the WHOIS. I doubt they're trying to "get one over" on anyone, it's probably just an oversight when the reports are generated.

Anyone using their service could/can add a domain name (unregistered or registered), mark it as sold for any amount, and then Uniregistry reports it as a domain sale to DNJournal, NameBio, etc., and no one involved validates the sales. It's a preeminent loophole in domain sales reporting.

Can you show me a screenshot where you can just add a domain as sold in their system, without the sale actually going through their escrow, Secure Simultaneous Exchange, or getting kicked to Escrow.com through their API integration where they know if it actually closed? Even on self-brokered deals where you could be on both ends of the transaction the payment is still going through their system and they'll know if it completed, and you'd at minimum have to pay the 3% service fee to pull of a fake sale.

Pretty sure the only way this could happen is if a broker did it, which they wouldn't do maliciously. This type of encoding of sales into a domain name used to happen on Sedo too. You'd see in their RSS feed things like PaymentNumber3Example.com or similar, which meant the third (of an unknown number) of payments for Example.com. Some brokers are not very smart.

Plus doesn't Uni verify ownership if you add a domain to their marketplace? I really doubt you could add a ton of unregistered domains for sale there and get away with it. Try it though, I'll personally PayPal you $50 if you can sneak a domain that was never registered before into their next report and prove it was you :) I'm pretty sure your theory, which was stated as fact, isn't correct.

I don't know why @Michael is allowing it in NameBio.
We're not "allowing" it, I just didn't see it until the OP brought it up and you tagged me. The record is removed now. This isn't a case of someone trying to sneak in a fake sale, if it were don't you think they'd make it more believable? What's the theory... someone is trying to hype up NNLLLLNLLLL.com domains? Let's use some critical thinking here. It's a broker encoding a bulk transaction or something like that into a single domain field, and nobody caught it to remove it from the report. Although for the life of me I can't figure out what they were trying to say with that encoding.

DNJournal is run by one man doing everything by hand, but I expect more from NameBio.

Their Q1 report contains 901 sales... do you honestly expect them to send 901 screenshots to us or Ron with banking details? Even if they did there is no way I'd actually read them, and neither would Ron. And if anyone held them to that standard they'd just stop spoon-feeding the community their valuable data and we'd all lose.

I would personally expect one man copying everything by hand to catch mistakes more often than one man with a bot, but I'm probably biased :) Anyway I hope this debunks the domainer urban legend that Ron verifies every single sale. Although I don't know why that legend even exists because he clearly says he only verifies when the reporting party isn't known to him:

https://www.dnjournal.com/sales-verification.htm

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, sorry it briefly made it into the database.

•••
I doubt they're trying to "get one over" on anyone, it's probably just an oversight when the reports are generated.
I would agree, but it's been this way since their first report in 2016:

https://www.namepros.com/posts/5638469/

There are more posts about it, but I don't remember where. I can look when I have time if you feel it matters (it doesn't).

Can you show me a screenshot where you can just add a domain as sold in their system, without the sale actually going through their escrow, Secure Simultaneous Exchange, or getting kicked to Escrow.com through their API integration where they know if it actually closed?
I could, but you can do it yourself. I'll DM you instructions since we don't need this loophole proliferating.

I'll personally PayPal you $50
Donate it once you do it yourself. :greedy:

Plus doesn't Uni verify ownership if you add a domain to their marketplace?
No, but that may have changed recently? Anywise, verifying ownership won't stop fake sales from being reported.

This isn't a case of someone trying to sneak in a fake sale, if it were don't you think they'd make it more believable?

No, 10yoni5nnnn.com is a consequence of the loophole, and it was only conspicuous because it's so preposterous. The inconspicuous domains are rarely investigated, and when they are, the loophole is found there too.

Their Q1 report contains 901 sales... do you honestly expect them to send 901 screenshots to us or Ron with banking details?
No, I expect them to stop reporting sales that haven't gone through SSE or an escrow process.

I would personally expect one man copying everything by hand to catch mistakes more often than one man with a bot
Touché. :xf.grin:

•••
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Everything in our system is domain centric and tied to an account. Meaning every sale we make has to be tied to a domain that has to be in an account.

In order for accounting to keep track of commission, we take the list of sold domains with the revenue they created to pay our employees. This was a situation where we sold a group of domains that were not on our platform. We marked that sale using a domain that would never be on our platform or registered. In essence, we did it on purpose. We certainly should not have let that go public. That was an oversight on my part.

To answer your question we do not publish sales unless money changed hands. You can mark a domain sold in your account, but that is because we want people to practice good housekeeping.

It is flattering for all of us on our sales team to see people questioning our results. I guess our service really is so good it is...Unbelievable.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Jeffrey Gabriel
Vice President of Sales - Uniregistry
1-949-416-2555 x6261

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back