Dynadot

sales TP.com Sold For $1,200,000

NameSilo
Watch

silentg

DomainRetail.comTop Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
At a cost of $929,000 that's a risky game still a $281,000 profit before taxes and other expenses, I would have to pay commission on $1.2M.

•••
Isn't the commission around 10%? Afternic used to have the calculator on the sell page and they removed it.

•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
Could've been an Afternic Imported Lead as well (Custom Checkout Link) at just 5%.

Afternic calls this a "Dan.com experience".

DAN.com Experience.png

https://blog.afternic.com/custom-checkout-link/

Last edited:
•••
•••
Regardless of your cost, why sell a good LL.com for only 1,2m?
That seems so wrong...

The buyer has 9 billion revenues in 2023.
Good domains are seriously underrated

•••
But Great toilet paper shortage of 2020 is over.

Last edited:
•••
TP or not TP.

Last edited:
•••
Regardless of your cost, why sell a good LL.com for only 1,2m?
That seems so wrong...
Because that's what decent LL.com will sell for.

Recent sales for reference:

1712233702855.png

Mind you that most businesses don't want their brands abbreviated unless it's long. There's a reason why Weight Watchers changed back to weightwatchers.com from ww.com.

LL.com are valuable mainly because of the sheer amount of potential use-cases. But do you think blackrock.com would trade their domain for br.com? Of course not.

The buyer has 9 billion revenues in 2023.
No one wants to share their profits.

And there's a good chance that there were other options on the table. If this opportunity was lost then the domain may never have sold. 1.2M is fair for tp.com.

Last edited:
•••
Mind you that most businesses don't want their brands abbreviated unless it's long. There's a reason why Weight Watchers changed back to weightwatchers.com from ww.com.
ww.com is still used as a redirect, just like tp.com is used.

•••
ww.com is still used as a redirect,
Of course, what else would they do with it?

But they did try to rebrand themselves as WW and use ww.com. Needless to say it didn't work out for them. WW is just so much more clunky (it has more syllables) and it doesn't capture the market the way Weight Watchers does (even if you've never heard the phrase "Weight Watchers" before you'll know what they're about).

There's a similar story with X and Twitter.

I think the problem is that domainers tend to correlate value with quality. But the quality is determined by how effective a brand can be (i.e. is it legible, memorable, etc.) not what similar domains have sold for, see e.g. EMD:s.

just like tp.com is used.
Hm. Then it could either be as a temporary measure before a rebrand (moving a site to another domain is hard), or it could be to secure their brand.

•••
I cannot rule out that the similarity between WW and WWW was also (partly) a complicating factor for the failed rebranding of Weight Watchers. For BT, GE and HP, two letters work perfectly, it very much depends on the specific case.

Last edited:
•••
Ok, if those call center agents find out, that their company is spending $1.2 mio. dollars solely for a redirect domain,
as they themselfes might not earn the best salaries... while having complains on their ear every day...

🤡

Last edited:
•••
I actually expected TP-Link to be the buyer. Missed opportunity.

•••
Because that's what decent LL.com will sell for.

Recent sales for reference:

Show attachment 255023

LL.com are valuable mainly because of the sheer amount of potential use-cases. But do you think blackrock.com would trade their domain for br.com? Of course not.

No one wants to share their profits.

And there's a good chance that there were other options on the table. If this opportunity was lost then the domain may never have sold. 1.2M is fair for tp.com.

Really insightful post! I think there's also a good balance of branded domains + LL domains. goldmansachs.com comes to mind, they also own gs.com and in general use them as part of their emailing UPN.

there's always a good reason to own an LL + brand-name domain when that's an option for large orgs.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back