Dynadot

discuss WeSellUsedCars.com for $10k. What's wrong?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Screenshot 2020-04-09 at 4.01.06 PM.png

I just saw this Sedo sale on Namebio. WeSellUsedCars.com sold for $10,000. This is a 4 word domain name that sold for $10,000.

What is the logic behind such a hefty price? Who buys such domains?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It was a negotiated sale and I had some conversations with the buyer after the deal was done. He mentioned they develop and sell websites and domains too.

Once I found his business email address (when pushed the domain to his GD account), I tracked him down and found a couple of websites, one of which looked like a domain name marketplace from 2000’s (its design was really dated). So I was like, ok, the guy appears to be a smarter domainer who will resell the domain for profit.

One year later and the domain hasn’t been listed anywhere. Whois is under privacy. And still redirects to DAN. There is simply no way to contact the buyer and buy the domain from him. WTF? What kind of domainer would do that? I reached out to the buyer out of curiosity and he told me he’s been distracted by other stuff, but they still have plans for the domain.

By all means this sale looks shady when you don’t know the details. But it’s 100% legit.

I too have plans to develop my short domains, and already negotiating a 5 figure deal for a 3L .com (i have obsession for shorter names, lol) for the same, yet I really don't know if I will have time out of my other priorities to develop it, but still considering to buy it for future plans, so can confirm these deals are truly legit :xf.grin:

•••
I too have plans to develop my short domains, and already negotiating a 5 figure deal for a 3L .com (i have obsession for shorter names, lol) for the same, yet I really don't know if I will have time out of my other priorities to develop it, but still considering to buy it for future plans, so can confirm these deals are truly legit :xf.grin:
While I fully agree with you, I'm spotting a slight difference here. You will probably list it up for sale while you're finding time to develop it :xf.laugh:

I did that many times – acquired the domain with the intention to develop it one day, but eventually abandoned the idea. :xf.smile:

•••
Show attachment 150482

I just saw this Sedo sale on Namebio. WeSellUsedCars.com sold for $10,000. This is a 4 word domain name that sold for $10,000.

What is the logic behind such a hefty price? Who buys such domains?
AbstractDomainer....i started almost the exact same thread (even titled similar) on March 4th the day after you joined NP. Like yours it was a pretty popular thread, and I'm actually happy you brought it up again.

Several things evolved for me anyway when Eric The Car Guy posted the following;

"I agree with the comments about the price being driven by both a good salesman and a special interest buyer...that being said I also strongly agree that 10gs isn't bad considering the size of the used car market....like any thing else in this world...its all in how you use it. I'm not really a domainer...more an end user. I have been in the car business for over 25 years. I operate 3 bricks and mortar locations on long island. I have been using a...get ready for this...5 WORD...18 CHARACTER domain name for almost 20 years. SellYourCarForCash.com. It has served me extremely well...back in the day...before panda and penguin etc...it still does the job...and I've branded myself with TV radio and retarted amounts of seo and PC...sooo I don't see a viable way to rebrand to one of the shorter names I own...SellCarForCash.com or SellCarCash.com or CarForCash.com. I am betting on...and hoping the New GTLDs will gain popularity as I own Sell.Car...until then...i will be the guy with 5 Word...18 character domain name...
I would be thankful for ANY thoughts and comments..."

So I end up meeting Eric the Car Guy online, and we've become friends. The name for his business that he's now owned for over 20 years is; SellYourCarForCash.com .

Eric is a business guy "end user", and thinks like a business guy. Note that his domain includes the all powerful word "Cash", thus a domain that has evolved is "CashforLemons:xf.smile:com"

btw, nothing "Abstract" about the name, WeSellUsedCars.com:xf.rolleyes: Thanks again!

•••
I don't know niche well enough to know whether it was too high or not. Essentially if an end user really wants the name, that is far more important than number of words or characters, as @biggie said earlier.

Names have many characteristics, including clearly describing the product or service. I would rate this name high on clear description. Some names that go for a lot have extensive history of backlinks, do not know for this name.

I trust Sedo sales data, but as for all auctions, sometimes they don't pay, so sometimes they later get pulled from sales. I don't sense this happens as frequently there as other platforms.

When I did the analysis of 2019 .com sales of 3 or 4 word sales, there were 4 sales of 4-word names at prices of $7500 or more (compared to 45 3-word in same analysis).

For example HerHeartIsSouthern sold for just under $10k.

Bob

PS Edit did someone point out that UsedCarsForSale, similar length but better wording, probably, and much bigger search volume, but somewhat fewer advertisers, sold for $100,000 in 2017 at Uniregistry?

Last edited:
•••
Lol @DomainVP, click OP "disagree" by mistake?

are you the purchaser? Tell the truth

No mistake, I just strongly disagree with the OP.

We sell used cars is an excellent marketable domain that people will remember.

Jims Podunk Auto Group...
You can find us at WeSellUsedCars.com

What do they do?

They sell used cars...

It's clear, concise , has "sell used cars" in it for KW rankings.

What I REALLY disagree with is OP's Namepros strategy of posting regurgitated content of things that have already been discussed. You want a presence here on NP, I get it.

Gain it by knowledge, not naivete and weak "oh my god can you believe..." content.

EDIT: I just saw this after I posted...

AbstractDomainer....i started almost the exact same thread (even titled similar) on March 4th the day after you joined NP. Like yours it was a pretty popular thread

Last edited:
•••
Gain it by knowledge, not naivete and weak "oh my god can you believe..." content.

+1

you hit it so hard on the head, that one might get a concussion.

:)

imo...
-

•••
Last edited:
•••
honestly I wouldnt start a business on a such long name.

i prefer brandables look: CARVANA 👍

btw someone has registered
webuyandsellusedcars
Registered On
2020-03-06

webuysellandleaseusedcars.com available
webuysellusedcars.com available
sellandbuyusedcars.com available
wesellandbuyusedcars.com available

•••
End users see things differently than investors.

•••
End users see things differently than investors.
That's EXACTLY why the "average" domainer only liquidates 1-2% of his/her inventory each year. Not to worry....change is coming:xf.wink:

•••
That's EXACTLY why the "average" domainer only liquidates 1-2% of his/her inventory each year. Not to worry....change is coming:xf.wink:

What kind of change?

🐕

•••
•••
•••
Please give me your information / sources. :)

🐕

Speculating,based on growing # internet users.
Young generation-Z will be the most tech-savy.
If not them, one after. Progress moves forward.

I would love to hear @ThatNameGuy’s take.

Last edited:
•••
Theres a UK based company which started I think within the last few years who are called...webuyanycar.com.

The tv ad is voiced by James Corden, the UK actor and tv presenter who may be better known for the late late show and carpool karaoke in America.

•••

Maybe it’s just me, but I observe their tech-savvy nature mostly concerns social media. In other words Generation-Z only consume what someone else does. IMO

•••

My take is different than yours Samer...while I don't necessarily see prices for domains going higher, I do see a higher percentage of domains being sold to end users due to AI, education and outbound targeted marketing.

I wasn't able to make Namescon this year, but I understand there was a lot of buzz about outbound marketing. btw, typical domainers mistaking think ob marketing is nothing more than sending unsolicited emails:xf.rolleyes: and that couldn't be further from the truth. However, a retired marketing professor and friend of mine confirms my thinking, and has volunteered to help me affect change. I felt all along, the way domains are typically sold is beyond absurd, and I know with just a little help I can change the old dynamic.

What many of the old timers around this industry don't understand/like about me is that I exude confidence beyond their comprehension.....like "who does this guy think he is claiming to be successfully NAMING things from dogs, to boats, to nicknames, to businesses for 50+ years:xf.wink:" I don't know whether to laugh at them or feel sad:xf.frown: for them.

God Bless and Happy Easter(y)

Last edited:
•••
Theres a UK based company which started I think within the last few years who are called...webuyanycar.com.

The tv ad is voiced by James Corden, the UK actor and tv presenter who may be better known for the late late show and carpool karaoke in America.
Redd....WeBuyAnyDomain:ROFL:com right? Beauty truly is in the eyes of the beholder. I created a domain today Cash4Wrecks.com....CashforWrecks.com was already taken. My wife drives a 22 year old Mercedes SLK that she bought in 1998 and I bought her vanity license plates that read Fun4Pat.

Whats really funny about all this, I doubt seriously anyone would be looking/searching to buy "Cash 4 Wrecks", but I can assure you, a colorful billboard would get my attention while driving down the highway (on the wrong side of the road like i did in Scotland), and I'd probably never forget it.....the domain that is.

I hope you're doing OK there in Scotland. Guinness?

Happy Easter from across the pond:xf.smile:

•••
Good morning,

Sure...didn't they try that after the war to unify all the nations. It was decided that for a month all of the cars would drive on the right hand side of the road and if that was successful all of the trucks and buses would do the same from the next month.

I am seeing numbers used with letters in domain names more often. I'm just down the road from where Guinness was invented but we get British tv.

People always quote the radio test but that is only one medium for domain names. I'd say 90% of my exposure to domain names is in a visual form not through hearing them.

www. NoEasterEggs4me.com

Hope you and yours are all keeping safe and well.

Regards,

Reddstagg

•••
Good morning,

Sure...didn't they try that after the war to unify all the nations. It was decided that for a month all of the cars would drive on the right hand side of the road and if that was successful all of the trucks and buses would do the same from the next month.

I am seeing numbers used with letters in domain names more often. I'm just down the road from where Guinness was invented but we get British tv.

People always quote the radio test but that is only one medium for domain names. I'd say 90% of my exposure to domain names is in a visual form not through hearing them.

www. NoEasterEggs4me.com

Hope you and yours are all keeping safe and well.

Regards,

Reddstagg
Redd...i misspoke when i said Scotland...i meant Ireland. Too many Guinness I guess:xf.confused: That said however, i drove on the left side in both Scotland and Ireland...probably one of the most stressful things I've done in life.

Getting back to domains like WeSellUsedCars.com and CashforXXXX. These type of names really draw attention vs. domains using just initials. I have zero domains with just initials, however I started a company back in the 70's named Credit Control Corporation and there were times we referred to ourselves as CCC long before internet domains. To put things in proper perspective, if I were to start the same company today I would choose the domain CreditControl.com vs. CCC.com. Reason being, "Credit Control" actually means something while "CCC" means absolutely nothing.

Keywords in a domain are far more important than initials. Lately I've been focusing on creating domains with the keyword "Cash". Whereas "Sex" sells, "Cash" is King:xf.wink:

Have a great Irish Day my friend:xf.smile:

•••
I feel that we couldn't dictate how buyer value on some domain,but we should to respect on their option and their main reason why they spend more money for certain domain

•••
I feel that we couldn't dictate how buyer value on some domain,but we should to respect on their option and their main reason why they spend more money for certain domain

Good afternoon,

The answer is one that nobody knows the answer to. Someone wakes up tomorrow, starts a business and remembers that their first dog was called Zoggzie and b4 we know it 2 years go by and we have s billion dollar company called Zoggzie Zips inc.

•••
What an awful brand name!

Probably a fake sale.. who in the world would build a brand on a 4 words brand name? There are countless better names under $10k.

Last edited:
•••
In normal circumstances, we all know shorter are better in domaining. And I am the first one when looking for shorter domains.
But in this case, giving the used car niche, I really think the domain makes a lot of sense.
Yes, 4 words, but very easy to remember and nailed to the target. It's like a company slogan.
This one looks to me like the old days when people wrote on a paper "We Sell Used Cars. Go here, or call here..."
Another similar domains would be WeBuyUsedCars.com or WeBuyYourCar.com, this last one already in use.

•••
What an awful brand name!

Probably a fake sale.. who in the world would build a brand on a 4 words brand name? There are countless better names under $10k.
Sort of like Amazon or Apple right:xf.rolleyes: Bottom line, it's the business that makes the brand, not the brand that makes the business:xf.smile:

Did you see earlier in the thread where Bob Hawkes pointed out that UsedCarsforSale.com sold for 100K in 2017? Check out the site and see how it's being used. Would you have preferred UCFS.com?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back