Dynadot

Was my purchase stolen by another on GoDaddy ? Is GoDaddy allowing double purchases?

NameSilo
Watch

Domain Home

Top Member
Impact
Hi All, I hope all is well!

I want to share with you a matter that happened with me recently on GoDaddy, The thing is that I have purchased a domain name on GoDaddy, The previous owner had a BIN on the domain so I just hit the BIN and completed my purchase.

I have waited all day to receive the name on my account but I never got it, And so I have reached out to their support via LiveChat & Email sharing with them the story, They mentioned that I need to wait around 4 or 5 days to get the name and so I did, but still nothing. So I have reached out again and received a response from their staff, which I actually found weird. Here is it:

I would like to know your opinions about this matter, And have any of you experienced this previously? I was reading before that GoDaddy system doesn't accept more than one "Add to cart" request to prevent double purchases, But the staff is telling me that it actually accepted it this time, they are telling me that the timing in between the two clicks was faster than their system. What do you think?
@Paul Nicks @Joe Styler Can I expect another response that is more on point?

Best,

Attachments

• order.png
    order.png
    14.4 KB · Views: 176
  • email.png
    email.png
    24.5 KB · Views: 172
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Screenshots are uploaded below the text.

•••
Wow. Strange but it can happen like they said, have you check the whois? To know if the domain actually change hands

•••
Wow. Strange but it can happen like they said, have you check the whois? To know if the domain actually change hands
Yeap, the name servers have been changed one day after the purchase.

•••
What would have caused this domain to be purchased by two parties so close together, by chance, or was it some trending topic, things happen, I mean it’s a $100 bin name, it’s fair game.

•••
Hi their email refers to domain being "purchased elsewhere" which presumably means via Afternic partner network, unless that means seller had already sold it on another platform and just not removed it from GD listings.

There are other discussions on here about GD bugs and about Afternic not showing stuff in real time.

•••
What would have caused this domain to be purchased by two parties so close together, by chance, or was it some trending topic, things happen, I mean it’s a $100 bin name, it’s fair game.

How could it be purchased by two parties ? We used to see HD bot snipping domains on closeouts in NO TIME and the system recongnizes it and prevent double purchases, And when it comes to a timing between two human clicks it fails to prevent it ?

•••
Something similar happened to me a few weeks ago. I'm not sure if the same thing that happened to me happened to the OP but there's some kind of bug that for a certain amount of time after the initial purchase allows a second buyer to buy a domain at Godaddy even though someone else already bought it.

In my case it seemed to have been a domain that someone else bought at a BIN from Godaddy auctions. I followed a link from expireddomains.net to an empty auction page. But when I searched for the domain using Godaddy's regular search it appeared there as a premium domain and I was able to complete the purchase. I actually called their support to make sure that everything was OK and mentioned that I think the domain had a BIN at Godaddy auctions so I want to verify it wasn't paid for already (I noticed in the past that domains that were already bought could still be added to the cart). They told me that it was OK and that the transfer will complete shortly. Then a few days later I got an email notifying me that they're cancelling the purchase since somebody else already bought it.

Last edited:
•••
I know the domain as I tried to buy it as well, but it was listed as not available.

It was newly listed on GoDaddy and an aged domain for cheap, so it is easily possible someone else beat you to it.

It is unfortunate that GoDaddy's system allows more than one order on the same domain.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back