IT.COM

Warning - Expired Domains Are Risky!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
WARNING! Expired Domains Are Risky - Well that depends doesn't it? If you take the steps below then you can make buying that expired domain as safe as possible :D

Well all know that expired domains are domains which were previously owned by either a business/webmaster/blogger etc. This means they have history and could have some of the following problems:

1) Fake Pagerank - Before you go out and buy that 'apparent' pagerank 6 domain do a double check on its pagerank to make sure it authentic. The last thing you want to do is pay XXXX amount of dollars for a PR 6 domain only to find it was actually fake. Don't fall into this trap.

Use This Fake PR Checker Tool - http://www.checkpageranking.com/
--------------------

2) Banned By Google SERP - Yes, Domains get banned by Google for a number for different reasons - and this could be why the domain has been dropped by the owner. Domain's that are banned from Google will not show up in the SERP.

How To Check If An Expired Domain Is Banned?
Use this tool:http://www.stickysense.com/index.php

It shows whether or not the domain is banned from the SERPs. (Search Engine Result Pages).
-----------------

3) Banned From Showing Google Adsense - This has happened to me before. I purchased a SEO domain and found it was not banned from showing in the SERP but was banned from showing adsense! I found this out when i placed adsense on my site and it wouldn't show.

--------------------

4) History of a Domain
No-one wants a domain with a suspicious history in what it was operating in (unless you are after those type of domains) so make sure you do a background check on what the previous site was about.

Use http://www.Archive.org to check the previous websites' pages. By looking at the history of the expired domain you can tell whether or not it was operating in any illegal/suspicious activity.
--------------------------

5) Backlinks pointing towards the domain
By looking at the backlinks linking to the domain you can see what type of sites were linking to the domain in question. This will further give you an insight into what the previous site on the domain was about.

If I have missed anything or anyone wants to add something. Feel free to post or comment on the list. :hehe:

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
keep in mind that banned domains can get reindexed by google if you're a new owner etc.

•••

Naughty domains can be rehabbed.

;)

•••
•••
Great post, nice refresher for everyone. Thanks for sharing!

•••
5) Backlinks pointing towards the domain
By looking at the backlinks linking to the domain you can see what type of sites were linking to the domain in question. This will further give you an insight into what the previous site on the domain was about.

Checking for backlinks? http://siteexplorer.search.yahoo.com/

If I have missed anything or anyone wants to add something. Feel free to post or comment on the list.

When i first started buying expireds this one got me, had traffic coming in and just could not figure out why this seemingly generic , non offensive name, could get no clicks. Did some research and found that EVERY link coming in from an adult link. This one here can be more important than people realize, and depending on what you are doing with the name can make a difference in your parking revenue pretty quickly...

•••
bizcorp said:
If I have missed anything or anyone wants to add something. Feel free to post or comment on the list. :hehe:
Maybe you are missing an opportunity? Take all those tools you suggested and make it ONE. One, as in a tool that does it all.... Consider it domain insurance or something along those lines :)

•••
shockie said:
keep in mind that banned domains can get reindexed by google if you're a new owner etc.

wOW...really...

•••
I have a couple pretty good (IMHO) domains that have been rejected by google adsense. They are cooks911.com, and golfdealsdirect.com. Both came up clean in the checkers shown in this thread but adsense for domains disapproved both. I'm not too distressed about this, and am considering resubmitting them. Their warnings about possibly being dropped by them for resubmitting domains has me worried. Has anyone else resubmitted a domain before? Any recommendations?

•••
bizcorp said:
How To Check If An Expired Domain Is Banned? [/B]Use this tool:http://www.stickysense.com/index.php

Ban Checker Results for: stickysense.com
stickysense.com currently has no pages indexed by Google.com, therefore stickysense.com is either BANNED from Google or is a new website that has yet to be indexed.

•••
•••
•••
Ms Domainer said:

Naughty domains can be rehabbed.
Actually correct! I bought one at a very low price a few months ago, due to traffic, without realizing it had been a small scam website (but the scammer had managed to build an amazing traffic in a matter of only three months - and I mean real traffic, not fake one). Once I had it, I first wanted to get rid of it (what a shame if I would be identified as the owner of such a site!). Then I decided to go for an experiment: how to make it a legit site.

I put it on WhyPark with some automatically generated content. I put on each page a notice saying that I had discovered - after buying the site - that it had been engaged in dubious practices, but that I had no way to identify the previous owner (bought on marketplace). I found attractive keyword/content/ads, but all leading to non-scam sites - i.e. playing on what motivated people to visit the site, but taking them away from scam.

Well, as expected, the traffic is down to 10 percent of what it used to be six months ago - but it still gets more than 200 visitors a day, and betwen 5 and 10 clicks a day as a parked site currently (no longer with WP). Less than 5 cents per click, but not bad considering the background of such a site.

However, I wouldn't advise people to do that - but I found it to be an interesting experiment for a "rehab"!

•••
Combine number 1 & 5

If you are buying any domain based on PR you should combine tips 1 and 5.

Because the PR can be 100 per cent real BUT the backlinks have changed since the last PR export/update.

If you are about to spend money on a domain based on PR only you should examine the backlinks. Determine if you think that the existing backlinks on the day you buy the domain, can they deliver the PR in the future.

•••
•••
I bought eBizZone.net without checking its past records on the Net then I discovered some urls with info about scams and other bad practices conducted by the previous owner.

•••
•••
shockie said:

Hi!

Is there an application process we need to go through if we bought a banned domain so Google will index it again? Thanks.

•••
Hey even i did bought 2 domain names named RoadTrial.com and gamingJet.com without Checking the history... and after reading this post it really makes me sad... that some of my good domain names would be of no use for me... i hv no issues with Google Adsense but will my websites Be indexed ? any solution to that ???

•••
domainerd said:
Hi!

Is there an application process we need to go through if we bought a banned domain so Google will index it again? Thanks.

Create a Google account, sign up for Webmaster Tools, Verify the site so they know you are the owner, and submit a "Request reconsideration" form.

It's not a guarantee, but it can work. Be 100% honest in the request.

Dan

•••
thanks for this great info

•••
I had more less some experiences through buying expired domains. Even I am using those tools, my domains always dropped.

hiks..

•••
to check fake pr

i do first link:domain.com on G or Y

if shows any page/s

i click on page (usually cache)

get source code and search/find for domain.com

if i find on 2 or 3 diff. pages i consider pr not fake

i also consider pages domain get link for quality

•••
few of my domains were earlier banned... but now they are allowed to have Adsense... ads.... :D I am so Happy

does that Happens... ?? just wanted to confirm...

•••
Back