IT.COM

Warning - Expired Domains Are Risky!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
WARNING! Expired Domains Are Risky - Well that depends doesn't it? If you take the steps below then you can make buying that expired domain as safe as possible :D

Well all know that expired domains are domains which were previously owned by either a business/webmaster/blogger etc. This means they have history and could have some of the following problems:

1) Fake Pagerank - Before you go out and buy that 'apparent' pagerank 6 domain do a double check on its pagerank to make sure it authentic. The last thing you want to do is pay XXXX amount of dollars for a PR 6 domain only to find it was actually fake. Don't fall into this trap.

Use This Fake PR Checker Tool - http://www.checkpageranking.com/
--------------------

2) Banned By Google SERP - Yes, Domains get banned by Google for a number for different reasons - and this could be why the domain has been dropped by the owner. Domain's that are banned from Google will not show up in the SERP.

How To Check If An Expired Domain Is Banned?
Use this tool:http://www.stickysense.com/index.php

It shows whether or not the domain is banned from the SERPs. (Search Engine Result Pages).
-----------------

3) Banned From Showing Google Adsense - This has happened to me before. I purchased a SEO domain and found it was not banned from showing in the SERP but was banned from showing adsense! I found this out when i placed adsense on my site and it wouldn't show.

--------------------

4) History of a Domain
No-one wants a domain with a suspicious history in what it was operating in (unless you are after those type of domains) so make sure you do a background check on what the previous site was about.

Use http://www.Archive.org to check the previous websites' pages. By looking at the history of the expired domain you can tell whether or not it was operating in any illegal/suspicious activity.
--------------------------

5) Backlinks pointing towards the domain
By looking at the backlinks linking to the domain you can see what type of sites were linking to the domain in question. This will further give you an insight into what the previous site on the domain was about.

If I have missed anything or anyone wants to add something. Feel free to post or comment on the list. :hehe:

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Good to know. I don't even knew that it would be possible to fake a pagerank. I wonder how they can do that...

•••
I had a Kind Korean Man in broken english trying very persistant to purchase http:www.digitalpctv.com about six months after i bought it.Figure he did a WHOIS on me.I always wonder if he was the one who let it drop.Bummer.

•••
Ms Domainer said:

Naughty domains can be rehabbed.

;)

Not always. If the domain is all over the scam warning websites, I wouldn't wan to develop it into anything serious. This is why when buying a domain you should search google for "domain.com" in quotes to see what pages, if any, people are talking about it on. This method is just as vital as the Archive.org check.

Last edited:
•••
•••
bizcorp said:
WARNING! Expired Domains Are Risky - Well that depends doesn't it? If you take the steps below then you can make buying that expired domain as safe as possible :D

Well all know that expired domains are domains which were previously owned by either a business/webmaster/blogger etc. This means they have history and could have some of the following problems:

1) Fake Pagerank - Before you go out and buy that 'apparent' pagerank 6 domain do a double check on its pagerank to make sure it authentic. The last thing you want to do is pay XXXX amount of dollars for a PR 6 domain only to find it was actually fake. Don't fall into this trap.

Use This Fake PR Checker Tool - http://www.checkpageranking.com/
--------------------

2) Banned By Google SERP - Yes, Domains get banned by Google for a number for different reasons - and this could be why the domain has been dropped by the owner. Domain's that are banned from Google will not show up in the SERP.

Use this tool:http://www.stickysense.com/index.php

It shows whether or not the domain is banned from the SERPs. (Search Engine Result Pages).
-----------------

3) Banned From Showing Google Adsense - This has happened to me before. I purchased a SEO domain and found it was not banned from showing in the SERP but was banned from showing adsense! I found this out when i placed adsense on my site and it wouldn't show.

Be On Guard and Use this Tool again: http://www.stickysense.com/index.php
It shows both if your site is banned from SERP and Showing Google adsense.
--------------------

4) History of a Domain
No-one wants a domain with a suspicious history in what it was operating in (unless you are after those type of domains) so make sure you do a background check on what the previous site was about.

Use http://www.Archive.org to check the previous websites' pages. By looking at the history of the expired domain you can tell whether or not it was operating in any illegal/suspicious activity.

By looking at the backlinks linking to the domain you can see what type of sites were linking to the domain in question. This will further give you an insight into what the previous site on the domain was about.

Checking for backlinks? http://siteexplorer.search.yahoo.com/

If I have missed anything or anyone wants to add something. Feel free to post or comment on the list. :hehe:

we can check the pagerank from google pagerank tools before buying the domain
also can we check whether domain is banned from google? also as i know google dosent banns domains forever. i think the main important thing of the expired domain is traffic, pagerank and backlinks!!

•••
dan_Vt said:
Create a Google account, sign up for Webmaster Tools, Verify the site so they know you are the owner, and submit a "Request reconsideration" form.

It's not a guarantee, but it can work. Be 100% honest in the request.

Dan

If it works, then its one of coolest ideas. I m surely gonna give a try. Hope it works as it says!

•••
hello friend thanks.

i want to know the apparise for cpacgo.com tell me some body if PM me

•••
DubDubDubDot said:

Not always. If the domain is all over the scam warning websites, I wouldn't wan to develop it into anything serious. This is why when buying a domain you should search google for "domain.com" in quotes to see what pages, if any, people are talking about it on. This method is just as vital as the Archive.org check.

Good advice.

Thanks.

•••
Oh, you saved me :D
Thanks a lot, i was about to buy a domain which had fake PR :(

Well Said.

•••
Really helpful. Thanks for your sharing some important links.

Cheers!

---------- Post added at 03:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:06 PM ----------

hello friend thanks.

i want to know the apparise for cpacgo.com tell me some body if PM me

Just to inform you, we have specific apraisal section on this forum :lala:. I am sure someone will appraise if you could post it over there.

Cheers.

•••
I was told that a domain is banned to a specific owner. Meaning that if the owner changes (Whois) it is unbanned by Google. A Seo Guy told me this a while ago, not sure if it is true or not. Anybody that knows???

•••
Nice share.
few suggestions :
I usualy check fake pr domian with checkpagerank.net and google.com
type "info:yourdomaon.com "
some domain get valid on checkpagerank.net but not index in google with type:"info:yourdomain.com"

•••
I registered pokersclub.net last June 26, '09.

Then I got confused when I checked pokersclub.net and got redirected at carbonpoker.com. What does it mean?

•••
hi guys....................nice tips

•••
•••
Thanks
i just found out that i have around 1000 pages indexed in google but my site is adsense banned :(

•••
I could be wrong but it's just not fair if I had bought an expired domain name that has bad history and I could not use the domain name for SEO reason.

Please advice!
:gl:

•••
gud list bik becuase if i had one in it really could be loss

•••
Thanks for these tips never knew all of these ;)

•••
I could be wrong but it's just not fair if I had bought an expired domain name that has bad history and I could not use the domain name for SEO reason.

Please advice!

Buy domains at an expiry auctions, which "someone" did with two of mine....................................................

Inherit or steal all the traffic, links, and everything else that the previous owner invested in.

Acknowledge the value of the common-law trademark the previous operator invested in creating.

Proceed to dilute and infringe on the trademark in EXACTLY the same jurisdiction the owner of the trademark used it.

Use it on the jurisdiction commonly called the Internet!

Enjoy the lawsuits.

•••
•••
Good advice on avoiding pitfalls of buying expired domains

Good advice

Thanks

Use This Fake PR Checker Tool - Check Page Rank!
--------------------

Use this tool:Google Ban Checker including Search Engine and AdSense Ban Check - StickySense.Com

-----------------

Be On Guard and Use this Tool again: Google Ban Checker including Search Engine and AdSense Ban Check - StickySense.Com
It shows both if your site is banned from SERP and Showing Google adsense.
--------------------

4) History of a Domain

Checking for backlinks? Site Explorer - Yahoo! Site Explorer

•••
Sometimes, the domain drops just because the perivous owner have not been notified for some reason.

•••
Thanks guys. Great info.

•••
really cool tips.. thanks :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back