IT.COM

Warning - Expired Domains Are Risky!

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
WARNING! Expired Domains Are Risky - Well that depends doesn't it? If you take the steps below then you can make buying that expired domain as safe as possible :D

Well all know that expired domains are domains which were previously owned by either a business/webmaster/blogger etc. This means they have history and could have some of the following problems:

1) Fake Pagerank - Before you go out and buy that 'apparent' pagerank 6 domain do a double check on its pagerank to make sure it authentic. The last thing you want to do is pay XXXX amount of dollars for a PR 6 domain only to find it was actually fake. Don't fall into this trap.

Use This Fake PR Checker Tool - http://www.checkpageranking.com/
--------------------

2) Banned By Google SERP - Yes, Domains get banned by Google for a number for different reasons - and this could be why the domain has been dropped by the owner. Domain's that are banned from Google will not show up in the SERP.

How To Check If An Expired Domain Is Banned?
Use this tool:http://www.stickysense.com/index.php

It shows whether or not the domain is banned from the SERPs. (Search Engine Result Pages).
-----------------

3) Banned From Showing Google Adsense - This has happened to me before. I purchased a SEO domain and found it was not banned from showing in the SERP but was banned from showing adsense! I found this out when i placed adsense on my site and it wouldn't show.

--------------------

4) History of a Domain
No-one wants a domain with a suspicious history in what it was operating in (unless you are after those type of domains) so make sure you do a background check on what the previous site was about.

Use http://www.Archive.org to check the previous websites' pages. By looking at the history of the expired domain you can tell whether or not it was operating in any illegal/suspicious activity.
--------------------------

5) Backlinks pointing towards the domain
By looking at the backlinks linking to the domain you can see what type of sites were linking to the domain in question. This will further give you an insight into what the previous site on the domain was about.

If I have missed anything or anyone wants to add something. Feel free to post or comment on the list. :hehe:

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
risky

could it be?
WARNING! Expired Domains Are Risky - Well that depends doesn't it? If you take the steps below then you can make buying that expired domain as safe as possible :D

Well all know that expired domains are domains which were previously owned by either a business/webmaster/blogger etc. This means they have history and could have some of the following problems:

1) Fake Pagerank - Before you go out and buy that 'apparent' pagerank 6 domain do a double check on its pagerank to make sure it authentic. The last thing you want to do is pay XXXX amount of dollars for a PR 6 domain only to find it was actually fake. Don't fall into this trap.

Use This Fake PR Checker Tool - Check Page Rank!
--------------------

2) Banned By Google SERP - Yes, Domains get banned by Google for a number for different reasons - and this could be why the domain has been dropped by the owner. Domain's that are banned from Google will not show up in the SERP.

How To Check If An Expired Domain Is Banned?
Use this tool:Google Ban Checker including Search Engine and AdSense Ban Check - StickySense.Com

It shows whether or not the domain is banned from the SERPs. (Search Engine Result Pages).
-----------------

3) Banned From Showing Google Adsense - This has happened to me before. I purchased a SEO domain and found it was not banned from showing in the SERP but was banned from showing adsense! I found this out when i placed adsense on my site and it wouldn't show.

Be On Guard and Use this Tool again: Google Ban Checker including Search Engine and AdSense Ban Check - StickySense.Com
It shows both if your site is banned from SERP and Showing Google adsense.
--------------------

4) History of a Domain
No-one wants a domain with a suspicious history in what it was operating in (unless you are after those type of domains) so make sure you do a background check on what the previous site was about.

Use http://www.Archive.org to check the previous websites' pages. By looking at the history of the expired domain you can tell whether or not it was operating in any illegal/suspicious activity.
--------------------------

5) Backlinks pointing towards the domain
By looking at the backlinks linking to the domain you can see what type of sites were linking to the domain in question. This will further give you an insight into what the previous site on the domain was about.

Checking for backlinks? Site Explorer - Yahoo! Site Explorer

If I have missed anything or anyone wants to add something. Feel free to post or comment on the list. :hehe:

•••
yes expired domains are risky the reason of this is to avoid issues when people want there domain back so be aware!
I know plenty of domainers that get there expired domains taken away because the previous owner starts complaining so try to do you're homework first ;)

•••
Domain Name Registration

Based on what you've stated, expired domains are still reusable and can be indexed by google...still, we should review first the domain before making any comments on them.

•••
strange experience with the adsense ban checker....

after reading this thread, i started checking on all of my droplist .coms.

at least 1 in 4 showed they were banned by adsense.

i check them a second time, and all but "juicybush" are good to go now.

why would i get opposite results on the same domain name inside of 60 seconds?

strange.

all thebest-
michael

•••
yep, great tips. thanks!

•••
Great tips and very helpful.
Must read for the newbie when they want to straight buy the domain with PR.

•••
thanks for the heads up.

nice read

•••
Great Post. This is very helpful. Thanks for sharing

•••
Interesting info
Thanks
:wave:

•••
nice tips.. an easy way to check Fake PR is type "info:domainname.com" on google.

•••
One more thing, there is a few types of semi-penality that can be detected before checking on Search console.
Ultimately you can't check it on console before buying

•••
I couldn't care less about G-banned, or any other seo stuff (and yes I know pretty much all about that).

They buy it.

Give me a banned, totally spammed say Block.com and I'll sell it for some decent monies.

Edit: Folks, this is Namepros, not a SEO forum.

Last edited:
•••
I have a couple pretty good (IMHO) domains that have been rejected by google adsense. They are cooks911.com, and golfdealsdirect.com. Both came up clean in the checkers shown in this thread but adsense for domains disapproved both. I'm not too distressed about this, and am considering resubmitting them. Their warnings about possibly being dropped by them for resubmitting domains has me worried. Has anyone else resubmitted a domain before? Any recommendations?
Both of your domains are not available to ANYONE, could be why Google Adsense is rejecting you. Try having a website before you apply for Adsense. Might help mate.

•••
I couldn't care less about G-banned, or any other seo stuff (and yes I know pretty much all about that).

They buy it.

Give me a banned, totally spammed say Block.com and I'll sell it for some decent monies.

Edit: Folks, this is Namepros, not a SEO forum.
S.E.O. is a component of digital marketing, which is a component of developed domain name marketing, which is a component of profiting from domain names, which is a component of domaining. Sorry things are complicated for you mate but nobody gets to direct the narrative except for the forum owners and mod team. If you don't like talking about something why do you always post in the wrong sections? There's plenty of choices matey.

•••
Wow what a necro!
I saw the thread mentioning about Google Pagerank and I was so confused but then I checked the date and then it made sense :D

Still I'm a bit clueless as to why did Google drop the pagerank altogether :(

•••
Both of your domains are not available to ANYONE, could be why Google Adsense is rejecting you. Try having a website before you apply for Adsense. Might help mate.
I didn't check the date. It's 2013. Asked @Bravo Mod Team to delete the post. They won't, even though it hasn't affected the thread in any way. Dumb rule if you ask me. But it's not my forum. They can do what they want.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back