Dynadot

[VOTE NOW] Which domain type would you rather have? : LL-L, L-L-L, 5L ??

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Which type of domain would you choose, if you could only register one?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • L--L.com

votes
    3.2%
  • LL-L.com

votes
    2.1%
  • L-LL.com

votes
    5.3%
  • 5L.com

votes
    48.4%
  • L-L-L.com

votes
    38.9%
  • LL--L.com

vote
    1.1%
  • L--LL.com

votes
    0.0%
  • 6L.com

vote
    1.1%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

GreenGambler

I Collect SilverVIP Member
Impact
Out of all of the acronym/short/rare domain types. I would like to know which you would like to have most, if you could only register one.

Assume that all are premium letter acronyms or top quality, pronouncable, non-dictionary words.

L--L.com -- ex: A--Z.com
LL-L.com -- ex: AB-Z.com
L-LL.com -- ex: A-BC.com
5L.com -- ex: Ababo.com
L-L-L.com -- ex: A-B-O.com
LL--L.com -- ex: AB--Z.com
L--LL.com -- ex: A--BC.com
6L.com -- ex: Abooba.com

I left out 3L and 4L.coms because I'm sure most would choose those.

Please vote and let us know what you selected and why, if you care to.

Thanks
GG

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I'd develop one of my NLLL.com names like 2GED.com, or 4Fed.com

Since NLLL are not in the Poll I voted LL-L (and I'm the only one...so far!)

...............................................................................................
I'm too lazy to change my user name or logo so I'll be sticking with anything and everything with 4 letters or characters.

I've been pretty lucky this far and not ready to abandon the ship. The LLLL.com's keep rising, I've been selling my NLLL domains from registration fee into the hundreds and my LL-L domains are getting closer to a total buyout. I'll remain on this boat until every 4 character domain has been registered.

I do like 5 letter domains though and will invest in some for resale to endusers. But, as far as names to keep, as long as I can still get short, silly pronounceable LLLL.coms like ujky, ixky, ijli, and ozky, those will be the ones I keep and develop.

Last edited:
•••
equity78 said:
The point was 6 letters not 5 letters of course everyone wants a one word generic.com
Well you used a 'Generic' word domain name (Amazon.com) as justification for your answer! So my last reply was perfectly valid

Also your original post below states that 4 letter domains have value because they are company intials, the reality is funky 4 letter words which have slim to little chance of being the initials of a company have high value. Recent examples: kitu.com $2150, xala $1400. What company is going to use these as their initials? Don't say it was because of the 'buy out', names like this commanded 'prices like this' many many months ago, way before we even new there was going to be the 4 letter hysteria!

What you fail to realize is that domains are traded like trading cards amongst domainers and collectors these days. Another huge point is not everyone is a company, people want 5 letters for their blogs and websites!

Since I have sold hundreds of 5 letter domain names and I imagine you have sold '1' to none I can only dismiss your posts in regards to 5 letter.com's as baseless hot air

equity78 said:
Any name can have worth, everyday names are bought that no one else would value more than reg fee. In the small subculture that is domaining categories of domains have value in the domainer to domainer market. Those usually come about by being sold out with none left to handreg. I would never pay anything for an LLLLL.com that was just a "Made up, cool,funky,whatever you have to tell yourself to justify the domain" When I could easily reg a 6L.com for reg fee. Because contrary to popular domainer belief, the rest of the world, especially the business world does not care. I do not think Sergei said to Larry "Damn 6Letters? wtf why could we not get 5?" Pretty sure Amazon using a six letter word that certainly was not made up but does not describe what they do in anyway is ok with 6 Letters.

2,3,and 4 letters work because there is a limited supply, and besides words, work out as acronyms. Business is usually looking to shorten their corporate name with a short acronym

American Telephone and Telegraph AT&T
International Business Machines IBM
Minesota Mining and Manufacturing MMM

A company is not looking to shorten from 7 or 8 down to 5 letters, there is no need.
IMO and again just my opinion the gap between 4 and 5 letters is light years apart.
Oh no I did not get bebon but I got BeeBon Oh No

:xf.love: On ebay auction 'right now' with raredn: :xf.love: Deavo.com :xf.love: iScum.com :xf.love: RandomPosts.com and more!!!!!!!!!!!! :xf.love:

Last edited:
•••
equity78 said:
Any name can have worth, everyday names are bought that no one else would value more than reg fee. In the small subculture that is domaining categories of domains have value in the domainer to domainer market. Those usually come about by being sold out with none left to handreg. I would never pay anything for an LLLLL.com that was just a "Made up, cool,funky,whatever you have to tell yourself to justify the domain" When I could easily reg a 6L.com for reg fee. Because contrary to popular domainer belief, the rest of the world, especially the business world does not care. I do not think Sergei said to Larry "Damn 6Letters? wtf why could we not get 5?" Pretty sure Amazon using a six letter word that certainly was not made up but does not describe what they do in anyway is ok with 6 Letters.

2,3,and 4 letters work because there is a limited supply, and besides words, work out as acronyms. Business is usually looking to shorten their corporate name with a short acronym

We aren't talking acronyms here. Obviously 5L acronyms are a whole different category since 5 word companys are not nearly as common and the shear number means it will be a a long time if ever before random 5L domains have value.

Also, you seem to imply 5 letters do not have limited supply.

equity78 said:
A company is not looking to shorten from 7 or 8 down to 5 letters, there is no need.
IMO and again just my opinion the gap between 4 and 5 letters is light years apart.
Oh no I did not get bebon but I got BeeBon Oh No
5 years ago the gap between 3 and 4 letters domains was "light years." Many people said no way in hell the 4L's would ever all be regged. So back then, were you claiming that a made up 4L word was no different that a made up 5L word (after all a word is a word), as you are now with 5L and 6L?

Because last time I checked made up 4L words are going for mid xxxx and 5L are still reg fee or slightly above.

•••
No I wasn't I believed there was value in LLLL.com much greater value than I believe there is in LLLLL.com.

And I knew we were not talking acronyms, what I said was acronyms peeter out pretty much after LLLL, once you get past that for a made up name 5,6 or 7 does not matter to anyone outside of the domainer world. Now if domainers will trade LLLLL.com back and forth great and everyone makes money that's cool. But there will be plenty of LLLLL.com unregged for a long time not allowing for the wholesale or reseller value. Again whether a company has BEBON or BEEBON for a made up company name I do not believe will make them pay up for the 5 if the 6 is reg fee. Again IMO and what I have always believed in domaining, whatever people have to tell themselves to sleep at night is a good thing, because a good nights sleep is important.

Domaining, When the legend becomes fact. Print the legend.

Also your original post below states that 4 letter domains have value because they are company intials, the reality is funky 4 letter words which have slim to little chance of being the initials of a company have high value. Recent examples: kitu.com $2150, xala $1400. What company is going to use these as their initials? Don't say it was because of the 'buy out', names like this commanded 'prices like this' many many months ago, way before we even new there was going to be the 4 letter hysteria!
I stated 4 letter have a domainer to domainer value due to the buyout I did not say only because they are company initials Nowhere in the post did I say that nice try wow. And I based your whole post as nothing more than self interest whatever you have to tell yourself.

•••
I'm not saying that a 5L made up name should be valued any higher than 6L made up name at this point in time.

My point is, looking a few years down the road, when a much higher percentage of 5L domains are taken than now, when 6L domains are still 98-99% available (99.3 currently with 2M+ regged), and when a 4L made up word is priced where most LLL are today, it is logical for one to think that 5L made up words would have a greater value than 6L. Just like 4L words sell for xxxx today and 5L words are reg fee.

•••
Russel that I agree with, where I was approaching this from is that new domainers are going to look at 5l and apply the same principles as 4l. I believe you can only apply a domainer to domainer value (minimum wholesale) once you have a buyout. People are already starting threads 5l what is the min value? I own plenty of domains that are only 5 letters although that was not why I regged. I think to get through 11 million plus domains is going to be a lot. Sure if you regged a great 5 l.com you can sell for decent money, but you could with 6 or 7 just as easy. Fuzzy.com is great, but so is chilly.com I think what a lot of people are looking for is when will 5 l rock like 4 l because they see all the 4 l threads and sales. Again IMO

•••
kepe the L-L-L.com votes coming

hyped said:
L-L-L, with LLLLL in relatively close second

:sold:

Bluebecker.com said:
Tell that to these end users

z-z-m.com sold for $1,000 via email private sale January 2008
b-a-r.com sold for $3,500 December 2007
k-i-d.com sold for $995 October 2007
c-p-i.com sold for $4,500 October 2007
u-a-p.com sold for $3,500 September 2007
a-r-m.com sold for $4,000 September 2007
m-p-t.com sold for $5,000 August 2007
p-i-e.com sold for $4,000 August 2007
c-m-m.com sold for $2,500 March 2007
m-o-i.com sold for $2,500 December 2006
f-h-s.com sold for $700 March 2005
p-k-r.com sold for $500 July 2006

if you know anyone wanting to sell a L-L-L.com send them my way.

•••
I just totally agree!

equity78 said:
Russel that I agree with, where I was approaching this from is that new domainers are going to look at 5l and apply the same principles as 4l. I believe you can only apply a domainer to domainer value (minimum wholesale) once you have a buyout. People are already starting threads 5l what is the min value? I own plenty of domains that are only 5 letters although that was not why I regged. I think to get through 11 million plus domains is going to be a lot. Sure if you regged a great 5 l.com you can sell for decent money, but you could with 6 or 7 just as easy. Fuzzy.com is great, but so is chilly.com I think what a lot of people are looking for is when will 5 l rock like 4 l because they see all the 4 l threads and sales. Again IMO

•••
ssamriga said:
out of these- L-L-L of course, no competition..

hugegrowth said:
out of that list L-L-L first,
and 5 letter pronouncables a close second.

Ergo said:
L-L-L.com because it's the only alternative to $xxxxx LLL.coms

buckshotdots said:
L-L-L hands down.

g-

likepeas said:

Keep those L-L-L.com votes coming dude

(nb: i really like CVCVC.com too, but L-L-L.com is the daddy) :sold:

•••
So-Far 5L.coms have the most votes.

Perhaps I should have included LLLL.nets in the vote as they seem to be gaining alot of heat.

•••
The end of the day its not us domainers who really choose its the
end users who choose, so its best to have a little of everything.

•••
Bluebecker.com said:
The end of the day its not us domainers who really choose its the
end users who choose, so its best to have a little of everything.

I think I agree. To an extent. I like to have a niche too. I like short, brandable, acronym-like, limited domains.

•••
GreenGambler said:
I think I agree. To an extent. I like to have a niche too. I like short, brandable, acronym-like, limited domains.
True, limited supply of what 1000 or 10,000 etc ?

•••
I chose 5L because i can spend my reg fee to get one or two nice 5L.

•••
Bluebecker.com said:
True, limited supply of what 1000 or 10,000 etc ?
Quantity is meaningless with 5 letter domain names, quality wow factor is all that matters, there is an almost infinite amount of available to reg domain combinations on the internet, yet some are far more valuable than others, same thing goes with the 5 letter.com's just on a smaller scale. head for wow factor in 5 letter domain names and you can't go wrong, end users will be happy too and show their appreciation with cash : )

You see there is a difference between 5 letter domain names: Example of two pronounceable 5 letter domains, wytol.com and mozzo.com! Yes mozzo is awesome, wytol is not, awesome 5 letter domain names are in very limited supply, thats all that matters
________

Last edited:
•••
It depends on the actual name.

I voted for LL-L.com as I had only one option.

•••
mntor said:
I voted for LL-L.com as I had only one option.

What do you mean you only had one option?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back