IT.COM
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

xman

Domain Hack KingVIP Member
Impact
Here's my question..what is the value of domain hack? I've seen some good domain hack and i was wondering about the value of it. I myself own one and i'm not sure whether or not i should get more. I haven't seen any sale of domain hack. Why do we register domain hack? Is it because the domain looks cool or because there's a potential end user who's willing to buy such domain?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
BOLSTER CREATIVE PTY LTD the australian company behind Linktr.ee (which just reached 10M users) has acquired the 2-letter domain tr.ee.

•••
BOLSTER CREATIVE PTY LTD the australian company behind Linktr.ee (which just reached 10M users) has acquired the 2-letter domain tr.ee.

That seems like a totally logical purchase on the part of 'Linktr.ee', obviously soon to be known as 'Tr.ee'. :xf.smile:

I assume that as no price is mentioned that the domain name was sold with an NDA, which of course is a pity for all of us but understandable on behalf of the seller and buyer. :xf.frown:

Anyway, well done to bothe the seller and the buyer. (y)

•••
Exact Match domain hack : CROSS-CHA.IN

•••
I'm new to to this domain hack :xf.wink: :xf.smile:

Where's the best place to sell this type of domain?

•••
•••
Teespring.com is rebranding to Spri.ng

•••
Ok, before this domain names sells or gets developed I want to know whether my domain is, or can, or should be, thought of as a domain hack.

Go.LA

(Obviously marketed using the LA as 'Los Angeles', although 'Louisiana' could just as easily be applicable.)

•••
OK @TheBaldOne - here is a crazy idea but given the state of biz opps in LA at the moment.... Maybe taking it the pure Brandable route & see what you can come up with on a Soccer related brand.

With the GOALLLLLLLLLL announcer we hear world wide in ads - a play on that word, in one of the very few remaining loved sports - that has little to do with US turmoil (not that there is any ;less anywhere else hahaha)

Idk, it just popped into mind and if I didn't write it, I would have never remembered to later.

Good Luck & just keep in mind that business world is a mess, especially in the 2 places that make the most "logical" sense (which is out the window at the moment haha). Distractions from the biz world, entertainment, sports, etc. will still drive traffic.

Last edited:
•••
TheBaldOne - one of the believer of DomainHack when I first started this thread way back.

Go.LA is a really nice one.

•••
•••
Hi All,

Have a couple - would appreciate some feedback. I have priced & sold many plain old .coms. But, outside of the "more obvious" brand to hack name match...I have not found a good way to put a value on them (Hacks) - they are great rebranding/marketing/update tools - but the base market/valuation eludes me.

• Earthlin.gs
&
  • RxDru.gs
    • (Rx is the abbreviation for prescription, in the US anyway)

Thanks,

•••
@xman

I went back to the very start of this thread and manged to hand reg LateNe.ws

I have other domain hacks but this one is in its own way late news as its from 2007. I went back to the future.

Regards,

Reddstagg

•••
Hi All,

Have a couple - would appreciate some feedback. I have priced & sold many plain old .coms. But, outside of the "more obvious" brand to hack name match...I have not found a good way to put a value on them (Hacks) - they are great rebranding/marketing/update tools - but the base market/valuation eludes me.

• Earthlin.gs
&
  • RxDru.gs
    • (Rx is the abbreviation for prescription, in the US anyway)

Thanks,

Good afternoon,

I believe it can also mean 'Receiver'...I guess of messages etc.

Regards,

Reddstagg

•••
@Reddstagg

Wow in this day in age I was surprised you were able to get that one.

Nice one congrats.

•••
•••
@Reddstagg - Congratulations on the registration - in fact 'Nice one'. :xf.smile:

@BrandPlease - Yes, 'The Lakers' spring to mind. Even as a 'fan site' it has great potential.

TheBaldOne - one of the believer of DomainHack when I first started this thread way back.

Go.LA is a really nice one.

@xman - Hell, how to make me feel old! :xf.frown::xf.cool::xf.grin:

I must admit that I was surprised none of you lot picked this one up here last year when it was listed for sale - though it was among a list of about 8 or 10 domains and not listed as a 'domain hack'. It is the best domain hack (IMO) I have seen.

Some quick stats:

LA City population circa. 4,000,000
LA County population circa. 10,000,000
Greater LA (includes Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, and Ventura counties) population circa. 18,000,000

GDP in 2019 in excess of $1trillion

Visitors in 2019 - over 50,000,000

And of course the 2028 Summer Olympics are being held in LA, sponsorship for which is huge (which leaves other non-sponsors looking for advertising opportunities - or indeed sponsors wishing not to lose out to competitors using other methods of advertising.

Even with a static 'For Sale' page the domain gets around 50 visitors a day and of course the most are from LA according to the IP checkers. :xf.grin:

So I am thinking along the tourist and hospitality areas for the main development, then for locals such things as real estate, golf, shopping, etc., etc., etc.. (I originally thought I would develop it myself - but it is way to huge for me to do and also out of my knowledge range concerning LA, I don't think watching the 'Rockford Files' qualifies as knowledge of LA. LOL)

I must admit this is the most commercially appealing domain I think could be found for LA. Tourism wise it would at least run LA.com close in a race when developed.

Oh, and it definitely passes the 'Radio Test'.

Glad though that people agree it is a 'domain hack'.

Now I am just looking for a developer who can really do the site justice (not just some quick affiliate site) to work in partnership with. My preference is to take a leaf out of Rick Schwartz's book and go for a partnership or follow the Costello brothers with this. Seems to make more sense than just a one off sales profit.

Last edited:
•••
me.et (DomainHacks.com/Flippa) met the $15,100 reserve at Flippa. The biggest reported sale of 26.1.21.

I was following this sale closely in the final hours (no, not bidding haha) and it was fun to watch!

First of all, a big hello to everybody! I've been hunting for a place to discuss domain hacks and landed on these hallowed grounds. I happen to be very late to the domain-hack scene, but I love them.
I knew about domain hacks, but never really looked into them before. However, in December 2020, while looking for a regular domain, I found one hack as a suggested option and it somehow got me hooked. So hooked that I sat down and hunted through all kinds of TLDs, manually, until I ran out of ideas and had to stop because of time constraints and general sensibility.

It was a fun journey and I thought about what to do with my names, so I put up a small website and posted my names there. And I listed my domains on Dan.com. A lot of them aren't great, but a bunch of those are good by beginner standards! :xf.smile: It was more like a game for me where, after looking at tonnes and tonnes, I'd be happy to find some available ones and just grab them -- which explains the bad ones! :xf.grin:

I must say that while looking at certain domain hacks, I landed on the Dan.com page for Plan.et (domainhacks.com) and it was a sight to behold. I was like a newbie looking at a pro gamer and thinking "that's impossible"! I know I sound like a fan and I certainly am. I thought they were all owned by an individual, but later, I guess I figured maybe it is a collection of domains owned by several folks. I ended up on this page searching for Max DomainHacks.com after looking at the listings on Flippa.

Here are the hacks I've gotten so far! There are a few more domains on my Dan.com profile page.

DomainGaze.com / MadH.ax

•••
@DomainGaze.com - Welcome to the mad world of domain hacks. You are in for a fantastic ride I am sure. :xf.smile:(y)

•••
I was following this sale closely in the final hours (no, not bidding haha) and it was fun to watch!

First of all, a big hello to everybody! I've been hunting for a place to discuss domain hacks and landed on these hallowed grounds. I happen to be very late to the domain-hack scene, but I love them.
I knew about domain hacks, but never really looked into them before. However, in December 2020, while looking for a regular domain, I found one hack as a suggested option and it somehow got me hooked. So hooked that I sat down and hunted through all kinds of TLDs, manually, until I ran out of ideas and had to stop because of time constraints and general sensibility.

It was a fun journey and I thought about what to do with my names, so I put up a small website and posted my names there. And I listed my domains on Dan.com. A lot of them aren't great, but a bunch of those are good by beginner standards! :xf.smile: It was more like a game for me where, after looking at tonnes and tonnes, I'd be happy to find some available ones and just grab them -- which explains the bad ones! :xf.grin:

I must say that while looking at certain domain hacks, I landed on the Dan.com page for Plan.et (domainhacks.com) and it was a sight to behold. I was like a newbie looking at a pro gamer and thinking "that's impossible"! I know I sound like a fan and I certainly am. I thought they were all owned by an individual, but later, I guess I figured maybe it is a collection of domains owned by several folks. I ended up on this page searching for Max DomainHacks.com after looking at the listings on Flippa.

Here are the hacks I've gotten so far! There are a few more domains on my Dan.com profile page.

DomainGaze.com / MadH.ax

Welco.me to namePros @DomainGaze.com !

I think you.ve been doma.in hacked.

Good luck selli.ng! (y)

•••
Hacks to me are difficult. Most people know few extensions only. And, a hack brings extensions that may not be that popular. As a result, there is confusion about where the dot should start.

•••
Thank you @TheBaldOne , @Future Sensors , @NAMING.GE and @DomainHacks.com

I've not seen a longer thread that continues to be active! February 2007 when @xman asked a simple question to nearly 14 years later, we're still here. A lot has evolved, and so has the acceptability and appeal of domain hacks. They may not be a standard choice, but they're definitely more mainstream than they have ever been! And I love the efforts of @Alexej K for the site showcasing domain hacks used across the board.

It is a bit sad that secondary domain marketplaces do not provide an option for searching for hacks. I understand that search engines do not treat them kindly and not everyone is into them, but for people interested in using them, I say an option or alternative suggestions would do wonders in introducing these to newcomers. I know good registrars which suggest hacks, so why not them?

On the other hand we could have an exclusive marketplace for hacks, but that somewhat negates the purpose of reaching a wider audience. When I made my site, I wrote this little piece trying to justify why domain hacks are more relevant in a time where people hardly type URLs and most addresses are shared on social media platforms where such names can be used quite effectively. It's linked below if you care to read.

In the end, I'm really happy to be here and look forward to interacting with you guys! :) Any comments about the hacks I've listed on my site and Dan.com profile would be much welcome.

DomainGaze.com / MadH.ax
A journey into domain-hacks

•••
•••

DomainGaze.com / MadH.ax

Welcome to the inter.we.bs! Very happy to read your story.

Domain hacks are collectibles (creativity + scarcity + demand) that have been adopted by many big names in the (tech) industry.

Matt Mullenweg of Wordpress/Automattic called his Ma.tt hack a life change back in 2008. Thirteen years have passed, a fortune of half a billion $ and it's still his domain of choice.

Musical.ly was acquired for $1 billion by chinese giant TikTok (before Instagr.am was acquired for the same amount by Facebook).

Two ex-Apple stars have so far raised $30 million on a new revolutionary platform called hu.ma.ne (trademarked).

Ca.sh was reported sold for over $200,000 which is more than what cash.us ($20,100) cash.org ($15,099) and cash.tv ($18,263) have sold for altogether.

ETC. ETC.

And yet I still find myself in 2021 arguing with domain investors about whether they have any value. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I've made over $100K/year on domain hacks alone since 2009 and I was an early adopter/investor in .me .co and .io.

I wouldn't trade them for anything in the world (except Bitcoin).

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
how much would you guys rate longer hacks like e.g. domainnam.es or brandnam.es? Do these sell? Are they worth getting, for a great term?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back