IT.COM

discuss Utilizing the polling system at NamePros for making Portfolio Appraisals!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

oldtimer

SaveThyWorld.com Let's not leave anyone behindTop Member
Impact
I was just thinking that it would be nice if we could use the polling system here to vote as to what domains we think are worth hanging on to in a portfolio without giving a dollar amount or the usual negative comments that people get in the appraisal section.

So lets say that each poll can accommodate up to 250 domains and that members can checkmark the little square next to each domain that in their opinion is worth keeping longer than the current registration year.

Something like:

[ ] DomainOne - - - - - 5 votes
[ ] DomainTwo - - - - - 0 votes
[ ] DomainThree - - 120 votes
[ ] DomainFour - - - - -55 votes
[ ] DomainFive - - - - - 20 votes

….. And so on for as many domains as the polling system can handle in one batch.

I believe that in order to keep things simple no comments should be allowed, also members should only be able to vote once per domain and perhaps there should be a criteria for voting as far as people having been a member here for at least a year.

Also a special section should be created for all the portfolio appraisal threads so that they wouldn’t be scattered all over the forum.

Do you all like to see such an appraisal system here at NamePros, if so please give a like to this post and chime in with your comment to let the admins know about it.

It's important to keep in mind that this is just for getting a vote at the first glance by the other members here who might be impressed by the inherent potentials of certain domains in your portfolio. If you want a detailed appraisal that factors in the traffic or search numbers for your domains then it's probably best to ask for a more detailed analysis for each domain in the current appraisal section.

Thread rules: everyone is invited to participate as long as things are kept on topic and are on the constructive, professional, and respectful side.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

There are plans to improve the appraisals sections, so discussions like this can help guide that initiative.

Thread moved to Suggestions for tracking purposes.

•••
Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

There are plans to improve the appraisals sections, so discussions like this can help guide that initiative.

Thread moved to Suggestions for tracking purposes.

Do you all have any idea by now as to whether having a portfolio evaluation and assessment thread that utilizes the NP polling system is feasible or not.

If so how many domains can the polling system handle in one batch.

•••
Seems like a promising idea but need to add this option to voting:
[ ] Pigeon Dropping

•••
Just remember to not make results viewable until AFTER you vote, and keep anonymous.

Last edited:
•••
Seems like a promising idea but need to add this option to voting:
[ ] Pigeon Dropping

Actually getting very few votes (or not getting any votes at all) on certain domains versus getting some or a lot of votes on the other names in the portfolio will by itself make it pretty clear as to which domains are considered to be good by everyone and which ones are considered to be useless.

A lot of domainers might not be aware of any gems that they might have in their portfolio that they should be hanging on to on the long term basis and not sell for cheap and so the idea of getting votes on the domains is to help bring those gems to the top and separate them from the rest of the domains in the portfolio.

I see a lot of people selling some very good domains for peanuts in the sales report thread which says that they might not be completely aware of the full value and potentials of their domains.

So if a portfolio has 350 domains in it and

5 domains get over 100 votes
20 domains get between 50 to 99 votes
25 domains get between 25 to 49 votes
75 domains get between 5 to 24 votes
100 domains get less than 5 votes

and

125 domains get No votes at all

That will give the owner of the portfolio some idea as to what the collective opinion is about their domains and which one of their domains need to be given more attention to.

IMO

Last edited:
•••
Of course there has to be some kind of a criteria for who can vote in order to minimize any manipulation or favoritism by anyone, also to keep things simple it might be best to keep the portfolio assessment and evaluation threads closed to comments and just keep them limited to voting.

NamePros might need to limit who can vote by creating a new badge for those who have proven themselves to be knowledgeable and unbiased domainers who want to help others become more successful domainers.

IMO

•••
@Paul ,

So what do you think of having a portfolio evaluation and assessment thread that utilizes the NP polling system,

Do you find this idea feasible and practical or not.

If so how many domains can the polling system handle in one batch.

I like to keep my portfolio small and I am constantly trying to improve it by trimming the less desirable domains and replacing them with better quality ones.

I think it would be nice for us to be able to get a second opinion from some of the more experienced domainers at NamePros (those who are unbiased and who truly want to help) as to what domains they think have the best potentials overall and that need to be renewed on a long term basis (based on which ones get the most votes).

Now I am not saying that we should use this portfolio evaluation system as the only metric for sorting out our domains, but it would be nice to know whether the domains that we think are our bests also get validated by getting the most votes.

IMO

•••
You want people to post 350 names in appraisals and you expect people to vote on each one?
Maximum 5 names in each appraisal post. Anyways very few follow the rules of if you value it reg fee, you need to explain why.
Actually getting very few votes (or not getting any votes at all) on certain domains versus getting some or a lot of votes on the other names in the portfolio will by itself make it pretty clear as to which domains are considered to be good by everyone and which ones are considered to be useless.

A lot of domainers might not be aware of any gems that they might have in their portfolio that they should be hanging on to on the long term basis and not sell for cheap and so the idea of getting votes on the domains is to help bring those gems to the top and separate them from the rest of the domains in the portfolio.

I see a lot of people selling some very good domains for peanuts in the sales report thread which says that they might not be completely aware of the full value and potentials of their domains.

So if a portfolio has 350 domains in it and

5 domains get over 100 votes
20 domains get between 50 to 99 votes
25 domains get between 25 to 49 votes
75 domains get between 5 to 24 votes
100 domains get less than 5 votes

and

125 domains get No votes at all

That will give the owner of the portfolio some idea as to what the collective opinion is about their domains and which one of their domains need to be given more attention to.

IMO

•••
From a technical standpoint, the current system could handle it; the current limit on poll options is largely arbitrary and not the result of a technical limitation.

From a UX standpoint, few people will bother evaluating more than a dozen or so domains in one shot unless they're being paid to do so. Furthermore, as the number of options increases, the amount of consideration a voter gives to each option will decrease. The data would be of limited utility, at least for the purpose intended here. You'd end up with a lot of noise.

As @Bravo Mod Team alluded to, we do have some improvements for appraisals in the pipeline, but they're not quite the same as what you've proposed here.

•••
Furthermore, as the number of options increases, the amount of consideration a voter gives to each option will decrease. The data would be of limited utility, at least for the purpose intended here. You'd end up with a lot of noise.

As far as the noise goes I was thinking that the portfolio evaluation threads should be closed to comments, members can only vote on the domains (If anyone needs a more detailed evaluation they still need to submit their domains individually in the appraisal section).

As far as the number of domains goes we can keep that at a more manageable number that is not too cumbersome for people to tackle, but keep in mind that there are a lot of domainers here who are used to at glancing over 500, 1000, or even 5000 domains everyday and can recognize any gems within a list without much efforts, so here they can look at a batch of 50 or 100 (or more) domains and vote on which ones they think are worth paying more attention to by the owner by putting a checkmark next to them.

The votes given by each individual member might not be a big determinant of value, but a domain that gets multiple votes from different members is certainly going to stand out from the list.

As far as giving people an incentive to participate in this as appraisers I guess you can make it possible for them to earn $NP dollars again. (it shows that I still have 300 $NP dollars that I can use :xf.smile:)

Nevertheless this was just an idea that came to my mind, if you think that it's not going to work here I can I understand.

IMO

Last edited:
•••
It's not going to work.
Everyone who posted in the appraisal section wanted to know how much the domain is worth - which no one know.
You can sell the same name to a small company for $5,000 medium company for $50,000 and big company for $500,000 or you can sell it here for $50.

The appraisal is a joke as no one will know the value.
There are some members keep give the wrong appraisal to crap names which is very dangerous to newbies and these members should be banned from the appraisal section.
Another question - If your trader rating is ZERO should you be allowed to appraise other people's name?

Last edited:
•••
Another question - If your trader rating is ZERO should you be allowed to appraise other people's name?

I find the last part particularly interesting, as those trade ratings reflect that you're buying and selling (often flipping or liquidating) domains to fellow domainers with steep discounts here on this forum. This is perfectly fine, and there's nothing wrong with that, but I have trouble seeing how this is relevant in determining one's skill to say something about end-user pricing. I've seen interesting appraisals from people without any sales, and I've seen crap appraisals from people who are supposed to know. Personally I'm always more interested in the accompanying reasoning on how a member may price their domain for different strategies, less about an exact price point. It has to be thought provoking and educational. Learn the other member how to value a domain by himself, by giving them relevant info. Be aware of the different business models within domaining, and how these can lead to success or failure.

What we both dislike, Johnn, is that several persons appraise just about every single domain with the same short text, without their extensive, granular reasoning. Appraising domains is far from simple, and the most experienced appraisers will be humble and will tell you that they have their shortcomings.

•••
I am referring to one or two persons who keep posting stupid appraisals. I don’t mean other members.

•••
I am referring to one or two persons who keep posting stupid appraisals. I don’t mean other members.

We agree about that.

•••
upload_2021-5-27_7-24-8.png

Take a look at who keep digging several years old threads everyday regardless what other members said about him.

•••
Can we make a rule that no one can post in an appraisal thread that's a month old?
3 strikes and you are out...
Why do we let him keep digging the graves with all the stupid appraisal: mid $$$

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back