discuss Understanding Value of Numeric Domains

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

artstar

Top Member
Impact
This info is a brief description from info gathered from varied sources

1- The shorter the better. Dah
2- Numbers in pairs are luckier since its called "double happiness".
3- Sequences like 123,345, etc are more valuable
4- The number 4 is obviously bad since it sounds like " death" but in some instances when used with other numbers may have a more positive meaning. The number 1314 means forever or always.
5- 5 Wu means me/ i . 518 means prosperity. 510 means I want you. 58 can also mean I am prosperous. Associated with the 5 elements.
6- Liu sounds like smooth, flow. Very lucky number especially in multiples like 666! 168 means prosperous or pathway to prosperity, a very luck number combo!
7- Benfords law = lowest numbers like 123 are more frequent in distribution than higher numbers and more valuable. For example a brand is more likely in using 18 instead of 64.
8- The number 8 is the king of luck of course , pronounced ba sounds like fa. Domains with number 8 on average is 50% higher in value!
9- The number 9 is associated with the emperor. Sounds liked long lasting, multiple nines especially good like 999. 3399 means together for long time.
10- Zero at the end of domain is prized and more valuable since its easy to remember and very brandable. Also zero at the end means completion or infinity. Zero at the end is a good attribute.
11- Zero at the beginning of domain is not as valuable and not recommended
12- Chinese culture uses yin and yang in creating and using numbers to create patterns and meanings that are in harmony such as repeating number combos like 3131, 2332, etc
13- Using numbers like 2,3 in front of other numbers multiplies the luck factor.
So 26 = double 6 luck , 38 = triple 8 luck etc
14- 74 means angry or dead, 14 = want to die, 514= I want to die
15- The number 7 is relationship, togetherness, life essence. Lucky number in eastern and western cultures.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I do agree with you on many points but there is a lot of chinese numerical info in there.
China is not the only country that uses numerics. In the USA 777 would be considered much luckier than 888.
Yes china is crazier than the USA about numbers, but don't forget about good old lucky number "7"
Jack Daniels likes it, so I like it too.

It's been a while since I went to Las Vegas but 7's where everywhere.

•••
what is this worth now?

2858668 . Please help.

•••
Numbers analysis from people outside of domain world.

•••
•••
•••
This info is a brief description from info gathered from varied sources

1- The shorter the better. Dah
2- Numbers in pairs are luckier since its called "double happiness".
3- Sequences like 123,345, etc are more valuable
4- The number 4 is obviously bad since it sounds like " death" but in some instances when used with other numbers may have a more positive meaning. The number 1314 means forever or always.
5- 5 Wu means me/ i . 518 means prosperity. 510 means I want you. 58 can also mean I am prosperous. Associated with the 5 elements.
6- Liu sounds like smooth, flow. Very lucky number especially in multiples like 666! 168 means prosperous or pathway to prosperity, a very luck number combo!
7- Benfords law = lowest numbers like 123 are more frequent in distribution than higher numbers and more valuable. For example a brand is more likely in using 18 instead of 64.
8- The number 8 is the king of luck of course , pronounced ba sounds like fa. Domains with number 8 on average is 50% higher in value!
9- The number 9 is associated with the emperor. Sounds liked long lasting, multiple nines especially good like 999. 3399 means together for long time.
10- Zero at the end of domain is prized and more valuable since its easy to remember and very brandable. Also zero at the end means completion or infinity. Zero at the end is a good attribute.
11- Zero at the beginning of domain is not as valuable and not recommended
12- Chinese culture uses yin and yang in creating and using numbers to create patterns and meanings that are in harmony such as repeating number combos like 3131, 2332, etc
13- Using numbers like 2,3 in front of other numbers multiplies the luck factor.
So 26 = double 6 luck , 38 = triple 8 luck etc
14- 74 means angry or dead, 14 = want to die, 514= I want to die
15- The number 7 is relationship, togetherness, life essence. Lucky number in eastern and western cultures.

Bad sources :)
First you and everybody else need to know - there is a difference between Cantonese and Mandarin.
For example: 58 is “not prosperous” in Cantonese, 54 not to die...
And there is more, Feng-Shui and numbers combos... Yin and Yang... For example: 38 is way better than 88 or 99...
Chinese Numerology is it not about numbers itself, it is about number combinations. Thats why you have a nice sales 4n. 5n. 6n. coms with 4 and 0.

•••
Bad sources :)
First you and everybody else need to know - there is a difference between Cantonese and Mandarin.
For example: 58 is “not prosperous” in Cantonese, 54 not to die...
And there is more, Feng-Shui and numbers combos... Yin and Yang... For example: 38 is way better than 88 or 99...
Chinese Numerology is it not about numbers itself, it is about number combinations. Thats why you have a nice sales 4n. 5n. 6n. coms with 4 and 0.

Yes its all bad info! Thanks for the support!

We'll then you start a thread on your numeric good info then so we can all learn from you mate!

•••
Yes its all bad info! Thanks for the support!

We'll then you start a thread on your numeric good info then so we can all learn from you mate!
I didnt say it is all a bad info.
No hard feelings mate.

•••
Post more data as this subject on numerics can get complicated enough. This was a synopsis on the generalities of such.

•••
This is why I don't really care about chinese, cantonese, mandarin or any other countries numeric domains. If it looks good to me, I buy it. If it doesn't look good to me, I don't buy it.

I like zeros ones twos threes fours fives sixes sevens eights but not nines. yes i like nines too!
Buy what you like and looks good to you unless you really know something that will help you sell it.

I have enough to worry about besides a 4. I guess everybody draws a 4 at some point in their life if you know what I mean.

•••
If these numbers are so valuable, what prevents the Chinese form buying it before domainers do and waiting to pay n times over in the aftermarket?

•••
I always find it interesting "western" like 247, if the domain is short enough, the dreaded number 4 soon becomes forgotten about, I am sure everyone reading this thread would love to own 44.com. I don't mind a zero if the domain is a palindrome ....0018100 is a domain I have. This really going to be an interesting year for numeric domainers

•••
I would love to have 420 over 888 any day of the week!!!!

•••
If these numbers are so valuable, what prevents the Chinese form buying it before domainers do and waiting to pay n times over in the aftermarket?

The chinese were buying numerics for some time now. They've owned some good ones and are acquiring more all the time. I think we've really just noticed them snapping them up and disappearing in the aftermarket.

Just like here it took a long time for the general public to know that you could even buy and sell domains. Look how many new people have joined this forum in the last 2yrs.

There was never a venue like 4.cn for the chinese to buy domains from the rest of the world. Now there is marketing,news, businesses and word of mouth that helps domains be sold in the chinese market.

I got and email that was all in chinese characters and I didn't understand it. Same for them when they look at an english email.
Now we can easily translate these emails and websites to understand each other.

The domain community is still pretty small in the USA and the rest of the world. When the rest of the world starts understanding domains, how to buy and sell, and their value, you will see prices skyrocket even more than they are now.

Even Google.com started out with one domain, now how many do they own. Same with yahoo and amazon. The average person doesn't own a domain. That will change and when it does, hang on.

•••
Well another big sale with that dreaded 4 to all you 4 haters!!

417 dot com sold for $169,000

Hmmmm....

•••
It's called supply and demand, when only one thousand available we forget certain "rules" it seems

•••
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back