Dynadot

Understanding Premium Numbers in Chinese

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

arjun29

Top Member
Impact
Numeric domain names are hot and happening these days. I have collected an information about what Chinese think about numbers and how to choose names wisely.

Zer0- combinations such as pairs, numbers in sequence, and numbers ending in 0’s can have higher value for various reasons. Generally, there is a lower value for numbers beginning in 0’s or containing 4’s.

One- Domain names with the number 1 are often lower value because “one” sounds like the word “want,” which, therefore must be lacking. However double 4 ie 44 is lucky.

Two-As in English, the Chinese have a saying about good things coming in pairs. Thus, the number two adds value, as do pairs.

Three- The root of the reason that the number 3 is lucky is that it sounds like the word for birth.

Four- Sounding like the word, “death,” this number is generally shunned, most particularly on license plates as automobile accidents are a major cause of death in Asia. There’s even a diagnosed fear of four called Tetraphobia.

Five- “Not” or unhappiness: negative. However, double negative is positive.

Six-Sounding like the words for wealth, flow, and business, it is reminiscent of the idiom “liu liu da shun” (六六大顺), which loosely translates to, “everything will go smoothly.” It can also be used to signify the saying, “liù liù wú qióng (六六無窮) which means “six, six is infinite” — which can also be read as, “six, six is never poor.” While six is lucky, the double six connotes both of these two sayings and is therefore far more desirable… and higher value.

Seven-Unique as it is lucky in both East and West. In the East, seven signifies luck for relationships.

Eight- Super lucky, as both the Cantonese and Mandarin word for eight sounds close “to be rich” or “prosperity.” Eight is ‘ba’ in Mandarin and ‘paat’ in Cantonese, similar sounding to ‘prosperity’ – ‘fa’ in Mandarin and ‘faat’ for Cantonese. Therefore, the number 8 is used to indicate money, prosperity, or good luck. It is the most desired and valuable number to have on an address, phone number, license plate or domain name. Double eight is especially lucky: who wouldn’t want double luck!

Nine- Symbolizes the emperor or harmony. The Mandarin word for nine is an exact homonym with the word jiǔ (久), which means forever. Very positive, very valuable.

Source: mediaoptions.com
Please add your inputs too.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Good info to know!

I'm into .co now and regged a few nnnnn like:

80800.co​

86860.co

38808.co​

:xf.grin:

•••
0 and 4 isn't bad. Take a look at the selling prices. The price just keeps going up and up.

•••
0 means You. As in 520 means I Love You.
1314 means Forever. As in One Life one World

5201314 means I Love You Forever.

•••
0 has a few meanings as well like completion, infinite.

:P

•••
0 means You. As in 520 means I Love You.
1314 means Forever. As in One Life one World

5201314 means I Love You Forever.
Yes, you're right. But it's better to avoid the combinations of letter and number 0.
For example, q06a.com and qo6a.com will make many Chinese confused.

•••
Pls where can I find a list of Chinese number combinations and their meanings?

•••
I keep wondering about 44 (8)

•••
•••
•••
•••
Four- Sounding like the word, “death,” this number is generally shunned, most particularly on license plates as automobile accidents are a major cause of death in Asia. There’s even a diagnosed fear of four called Tetraphobia.

I read somewhere that 444 is the heart of a leopard

•••
•••
Back