Dynadot

domains UDRP against the aged domain ABC.net

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Isac

Top Member
Impact
The Australian Broadcasting Corporation has filed a UDRP against the premium, aged domain name, ABC.net.

Registered in 1995, ABC.net has been in the possession of a Canadian domain investor, Beautiful Domains.

There is no track record of a sale for the domain, and the current registrant appears to have held the domain since at least 2000 – historical WHOIS data is kindly provided by DomainTools.

The Complainant in this UDRP that was filed at the WIPO two days ago, operates from ABC.net.au.

According to Wikipedia:

The Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) is Australia’s national broadcaster founded in 1929. It is currently principally funded by direct grants from the Australian government, but is expressly independent of government and partisan politics. The ABC plays a leading role in journalistic independence and is fundamental in the history of broadcasting in Australia.

This will be an interesting case to watch, as the domain ABC.net has been offered for sale by its registrant, since at least 2016. ABC is a very common three letter acronym, with tens of thousands of uses in the corporate world.

Source: https://domaingang.com/domain-law/a...n-files-udrp-against-the-aged-domain-abc-net/

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thanks for sharing and will keep watching this thread for updates (y)

•••
•••
•••
That is absurd. You cannot have a good domain, because some crap company claims it is their acronym. Come on, ABC can stand for a lot of things.

Also, you would expect Google go for it, since they own abc.xyz, not some second hadn company that no one knew about.

•••
Doesn't meet the bad-faith requirement. Dollars to donuts they tried to buy the name and were shocked at the price.

•••
ABC.Net.au do not start a business on a crap domain.

•••
There is no way this could ever pass the bad faith requirement.. that is unless there is a huge briefcase full of money involved.

Let's see.

•••
I wonder what the asking price for the domain is.

As for the UDRP. Clear case of RDH. I get they're funded by the government, nevertheless they should just cough up the money and pay for it.

A Dutch broadcasting network was in a similar situation (also mostly government funded) just under a decade ago but they decided to just buy the 3 letter ( cctld) abbreviation at €100K.

•••
Australia's leading source of information and entertainment - ABC - Australian Broadcasting Corporation @ https://www.abc.net.au/

Cheers
Corey

•••
Waste of money filing a UDRP for this name. Can't believe they were advised to even attempt it.

•••
Waste of money filing a UDRP for this name. Can't believe they were advised to even attempt it.

It's obviously a punishment tactic, which is why RDNH should be on the table.

•••
Big companies will always find away to steal your domain. This is disgusting

•••
Can any domain legal expert can put some light on it.

•••
Is there any financial cost for the defendant (assuming they do not hire a lawyer etc) when a UDRP is filed against them? What is the cost of filing for the claimant?

•••
Different culture. I've always found Australia to be a tough market to sell .com names with a few exceptions, like France and Japan and a few others.

That said, ignorance is now excuse, another case of lazy lawyers ill advising their clients, they probably don't care, they still get paid when they lose the case.

•••
That said, ignorance is now excuse, another case of lazy lawyers ill advising their clients, they probably don't care, they still get paid when they lose the case.

I've been in meetings like this, with the lawyers goading on the angry and irrational client, with "we''ll get those bastards" and "we'll make them regret fooling around with XYZ Company", then the big wigs leave and you can hear the lawyer's laughter down the hall.

Areas with rampant nepotism (family business, government, crown corp) are the easiest to scam, simply because people are in positions of power based on name, whereby they fool themselves into believing it's because they're intelligent, and that kind of sap can be led down the garden path with ease.

Never forget, lawyers are salesmen.

•••
I hope Australian Broadcasting Corporation is found guilty of RDNH.

•••
media brands usually prefer .net extension. This is not absurd.

•••
media brands usually prefer .net extension. This is not absurd.
That's not an accurate statement. ABC.com is owned by one of the biggest television networks. Now let's look at the others - CBS.com, fox.com, espn.com, BBC.com, ITV.com,

I'm seeing a trend here :). However, if you see instances where .net is commonly used please do share.

Last edited:
•••
This is silly , really silly.

•••
That's not an accurate statement. ABC.com is owned by one of the biggest television networks. Now let's look at the others - CBS.com, fox.com, espn.com, BBC.com, ITV.com,

I'm seeing a trend here :). However, if you see instances where .net is commonly used please do share.

.net extension means network, has been interpreted as news networks. You are correct, the famous news brands have .com but they may also have .net, I didn't check. I searched and found a dozen of infamous news sites on .net. I won't post them here as it would be an advertisement. You may search news sites or top news sites. .net extension is usually preferred by news/media sites by default. They usually define themselves as news/media network, found .net is the best for them. But as .com is the king, if .com is available they use .com.

The domain name net is a generic top-level domain (gTLD) used in the Domain Name System of the Internet. The name is derived from the word network, indicating it was originally intended for organizations involved in networking technologies, such as Internet service providers and other infrastructure companies. However, restrictions were never enforced and the domain is now a general purpose namespace. It is still popular with network operators and the advertising sector,[1] and it is often treated as an alternative to com.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.net

There might be too many corporate that have the same name. Why did only a news brand want .net if my statement was wrong? This is definitely not absurd and similar things should be expected by other net owners. dot net stands for network.

Last edited:
•••
.net extension means network, has been interpreted as news networks. You are correct, the famous news brands have .com but they may also have .net, I didn't check. I searched and found a dozen of infamous news sites on .net. I won't post them here as it would be an advertisement. You may search news sites or top news sites. .net extension is usually preferred by news/media sites by default. They usually define themselves as news/media network, found .net is the best for them. But as .com is the king, if .com is available they use .com.

There might be too many corporate has the same name. Why did only a news brand want .net if my statement was wrong? This is definitely not absurd and similar things should be expected by other net owners. dot net stands for network.

You say .net is preferred by them but they use .coms because com is king? That means they prefer .com.

I sort of get what you're trying to say regarding the .net but I think that was in the past, now .com is always the preferred choice (99% of the time). I think .net is their go-to alternative.

Last edited:
•••
Another business upset they weren't in the game early enough to get a good domain for their company. Now they try to go the UDRP route instead of actually paying up for it... SMH... Not only should this not hold up in a court, Beautiful Domains should counter-sue for the stress and fees caused by it. Just my opinion...

Last edited:
•••
that doesn't make sense. ayou say .net is preferred by them but they use .coms because com is king? That means they prefer .com.

Everyone prefers .com if .com is available. Take country extensions as example and assume there is a brand on .us or .uk or .ca, etc. That brand would want to acquire .com too, if possible. If not possible they will want to have whatever extension is better and possible for them, it could be country TLD or another TLD, depending on their scope of business.
.com is an exception. it's king and can be used for anything. Other extensions should have some specific purposes to distinguish themselves from the king and most of them actually have.
So depending on extension other than .com, the domain may be targeted by a particular industry. For dot net extension, it's usually media/news/advertisement/ISP industries. There may be too many brands with the same name. The question is, why did a media brand want .net and if did they want other extensions too or only .net. My statement is not inaccurate. Nothing seems absurd to me. It should have been expected.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back