NameSilo

Typos

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
If you have a typo for google let's say, would that cause trademark issues?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Microsoft was sueing a guy for registering the domain www.mikerosoft.com

He won, but then again, his name was www.[b]mike[/b]rosoft.com So that might have been the reason.

I wouldn't try it unless you have some money for a lawyer just incase.

•••
ddrassociate said:
If you have a typo for google let's say, would that cause trademark issues?
i don't really think so, because there are many of these collecting traffic without google sueing them.

•••
1rrr1 said:
i don't really think so, because there are many of these collecting traffic without google sueing them.

That's not entirely accurate. Google might not be suing all of them, but they are certainly going after some, probably based on how much of a nuisance they are to the google brand. Try searching for "google" at the UDRP archive, and you'll get some hits:

http://www.icann.org/cgi-bin/udrp/udrp.cgi

•••
i regged googñe.com (ñ is near L on the hispanic keyboards)
They can not do that to you......this is like, only if those names are TM or the sites are used for something related to google. Iu just cant sue someone that has a domain that sounds like your trade mark and stuff, or yes you can but you will never win!!!!!

•••
4 googlr.com
2001-08-14 - NAF FA0098462 UDRP (1) Name transfer
5 googld.com
2001-11-05 - NAF FA00101579 UDRP (1) Name transfer

Above names were taken from the registrant and transferred to google.

IllCodeForFood makes a good point about fair use. If you can come up with a fair use for googñe.com that somehow does not infringe on the google TM, then yes you might get to keep it. At the very least, there should be no mention of google or search engines or ppc in googñe.com.

•••
So if I get googel.ru and use it as a parked page, am I okay?

•••
As long as its not related to google you are fine :)

•••
Thanks for all your help people.

•••
What if it is a redirect?

•••
Typos of generic words - okay.
Typos of trademarked names - potential trouble.
Typos of trademarked names AND taking advantage of their name - prepare for trouble...it's coming.

•••
Like being barefoot and stumbling around, blindfolded, in a room of broken glass.. eventually you're going to get cut.

AdoptableDomains said:
Typos of trademarked names AND taking advantage of their name - prepare for trouble...it's coming.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back