Dynadot

advice Trying to sell a domain directly to a corporation

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Domain Genius

Established Member
Impact
Hello everyone,

Has anyone bypassed auctions and just contacted a business or large corporation by email or phone to sell them a domain that is related to their business or target market of consumers and products? If so or if not, please let me know your experience and any guidance you can provide :)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
@Domain Genius what a great username. The concept you are referring to is called "outbound sales" and is pretty common term with domainers around here too. In the fact there are lot of outbound sales reports in this thread which are outbound. Check it out, pure gold.
Peace. :xf.cool::xf.cool:

•••
Wow, I am really a beginner. I don't even know the basic lingo.

I checked out the thread a bit and outbound sales seems to work pretty well and there are lots of great successes. However, I am looking for advice on how to approach potential buyers of my outbound sales of domains. For instance, what should I say to them so they will give the sale a chance and not say "no" right from the beginning? Is there a different way to approach individuals vs. businesses/non-profits? If half of a domain name has a trademarked word, does that make the domain impossible to sell?

I appreciate the guidance so far ;)

•••
what should I say to them so they will give the sale a chance and not say "no" right from the beginning?
AFAIK, this approach is still somewhat a shot in the dark, else everyone else would be doing it. So try targeting as more potential customers as possible. Greater the number of potential customers, greater the success ratio. My point is nothing you write can compel them to say yes or no. It is simple matter of need.

I do not have a useful answer for the other two questions, sorry. Also I think that outbound approach somewhat takes away a little negotiation power.

•••
Wow, I am really a beginner. I don't even know the basic lingo.

I checked out the thread a bit and outbound sales seems to work pretty well and there are lots of great successes. However, I am looking for advice on how to approach potential buyers of my outbound sales of domains. For instance, what should I say to them so they will give the sale a chance and not say "no" right from the beginning? Is there a different way to approach individuals vs. businesses/non-profits? If half of a domain name has a trademarked word, does that make the domain impossible to sell?

I appreciate the guidance so far ;)

Research and learn as much as you can about sales. Then take your approach to the real world and reach out to your prospective buyer.

Any 'script' you will find online is wrong, and most sellers won't jump to tell you their secret sauce of what has taken years for them to perfect.

Or, don't contact them at all and wait for an inbound inquiry.

•••
•••
any guidance you can provide

Avoid trademarks, not worth the headache. Maybe if you post the name then experienced members can provide guidance. I do not know the name, my guess is I wouldn't even register / buy it, later on sell it if there is a chance that a big company will come after it ; if it is heavily trademarked.

Last edited:
•••
Thanks for the advice. I will read a lot more but this is a good start. The domain is nerf.football

"Nerf" is trademarked but "Nerf Football" is not trademarked ... I checked on the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) website. I'm not sure what to do with domains like this. Would there be some trademark issue or do you think it might be okay?

•••
Thanks for the advice. I will read a lot more but this is a good start. The domain is nerf.football

"Nerf" is trademarked but "Nerf Football" is not trademarked ... I checked on the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) website. I'm not sure what to do with domains like this. Would there be some trademark issue or do you think it might be okay?
Contacting a corporation with a domain infringing on their TM is highly frowned upon and not accepted in this industry. Delete the domain immediately and read the legal section on this forum.

•••
I am doing so right now. I did not mean to break any rules. I just made an honest mistake since I saw a bunch of other domains like that on other sites.

•••
I am doing so right now. I did not mean to break any rules. I just made an honest mistake since I saw a bunch of other domains like that on other sites.
Understood. Live and learn...Best of luck to you!

•••
Thanks again for the advice. I already ended my ownership of the domain and actually even got refunded an account credit with namecheap. You can even check the domain registry of any domain registry website to see that it is available again.

And I already contacted the company with this message (just to be transparent and to build trust here among the namepros members).

"Please disregard my last email. I was unaware that the domain I registered may have had a trademark issue relating to Hasbro. So, I am no longer the owner of that domain and to my knowledge, no one owns it.
Sorry for any inconvenience."

•••
wonder why so many new entrants, feel it's okay to just register a domain and start soliciting immediately.

where do they get these notions?

imo...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back