Dynadot

Try this if you fail domaining

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
Domain industry is a small somewhere like $500 million a year revenue. Not more than the world's most expensive megayacht.

But if you fail to sell your "pigeon shit"(term Rick Schwartz coined ;))... there is a much bigger opportunity around the corner which anyone can join THIS WEEK and it doesn't involve a sketchy MLM.

What I speak of is the $500 billion a year ADVERTISING industry.

The steps you can take:
1. Buy a decent domain name in a huge industry
2. Sell advertising.space on that domain name
3. Reinvest and repeat

One giant success for this method is the cars.com domain name. They sell advertsiing to 20,000 car dealerships worldwide. I almost fell off my chair when I heard from a local succeesful business owner that Cars.com charges those dealerships $899 a month for an ad spot. You do the math!

You are good to go!

Hope this can helps you, especially if you struggle to earn a living from online business!

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Interesting. I shall add this to watched threads and wait for the conversation to fire up. Have you actually dived into this business yourself already?

•••
Interesting. I shall add this to watched threads and wait for the conversation to fire up. Have you actually dived into this business yourself already?
Only regged a decent domain name two weeks ago. Next is to get advertisers on board. And advertise the domain nname with that money. Hopefully It can with time snowball to something big.

Just to clarify. I have seven things on the plate right now. But I still want to try this in the next few months ahead.

Last edited:
•••
I'm guessing the original outlay for the domain cars.com was way more than most failed domainers could afford as would be any premium domain that has a large amount of direct type in traffic (which is essentially what you're selling and an advertiser).
To sell advertising on a name that does not have organic traffic you would in turn need to advertise your own site which will have a cost. Im goona go out on a limb and say that is you failed domaining because you ran out of money or didn't have sufficient money in the first place, the advertising game probably isn't the one for you either.

Good luck though man I hope I'm wrong

•••
I'm guessing the original outlay for the domain cars.com was way more than most failed domainers could afford as would be any premium domain that has a large amount of direct type in traffic (which is essentially what you're selling and an advertiser).
To sell advertising on a name that does not have organic traffic you would in turn need to advertise your own site which will have a cost. Im goona go out on a limb and say that is you failed domaining because you ran out of money or didn't have sufficient money in the first place, the advertising game probably isn't the one for you either.

Good luck though man I hope I'm wrong
You guess too much. Are you saying this can't work because you can't afford a caliber domain name like Cars.com? What about 1/100 of the value of Cars.com domain name?

•••
You guess too much. Are you saying this can't work because you can't afford a caliber domain name like Cars.com? What about 1/100 of the value of Cars.com domain name?
I'm not saying it can't work, I'm saying it's not as straight forward as just buy cars.com and charge people money to advertise on it.

If you're going to charge people to advertise on your domain they're (if they have any clue what they're doing) going to want to know how many people are looking at you site every day, what kind of traffic it is, what percentage click on add links etc. If you're domain doesn't have a healthy amount of visitors they won't pay you. If you spend time (and likely money) on building you're site and moving up the search rankings or your site has good back links etc then you'll have a chance.

Domain parking and AdSense are another option rather than looking for clients yourself but again without the traffic you don't make money.

•••
I'm not saying it can't work, I'm saying it's not as straight forward as just buy cars.com and charge people money to advertise on it.

If you're going to charge people to advertise on your domain they're (if they have any clue what they're doing) going to want to know how many people are looking at you site every day, what kind of traffic it is, what percentage click on add links etc. If you're domain doesn't have a healthy amount of visitors they won't pay you. If you spend time (and likely money) on building you're site and moving up the search rankings or your site has good back links etc then you'll have a chance.

Domain parking and AdSense are another option rather than looking for clients yourself but again without the traffic you don't make money.
You need of course a decent domain name. First, you make the site fand then you have to promise to advertise with the money you get from ad sports. So it's more of an investment first from the advertisers you can get on board. This way you don't need cars.com. Because with that $89(restaurants?) they pay, you promise to invest $45(or whatever agreed upon) into ads to drive traffic to the website.

The cool thing is that certain industries has affiliate programs. So you can tell your prospects that you advertise the website with 90% or 100% of their ad spot funds. Then instead you make your living by earning a commission from affiliate programs.

Last edited:
•••
Affiliate programs and AdSense etc are slightly more achievable to set up on a small budget because clients only have to pay per conversation and not up-front. It's much harder to get someone to invest and pay money before the fact.

Maybe it's worth starting with affiliate ads untill you build up a consistant and dependable traffic stream. Then you have something to go to clients directly with and show how many eyes you can get on their ads.

•••
If you grab a top name for a new breakout product etc, you can possible use that name to lure advertisers.
I may give this a try....

But it's not easy to get your hands on an industry defining name even a new one...but it's not impossible.

•••
You need of course a decent domain name. First, you make the site fand then you have to promise to advertise with the money you get from ad sports. So it's more of an investment first from the advertisers you can get on board. This way you don't need cars.com. Because with that $89(restaurants?) they pay, you promise to invest $45(or whatever agreed upon) into ads to drive traffic to the website.

The cool thing is that certain industries has affiliate programs. So you can tell your prospects that you advertise the website with 90% or 100% of their ad spot funds. Then instead you make your living by earning a commission from affiliate programs.
I think what you're missing is how you're going to convince advertisers to pay to advertise on your site.

•••
I think what you're missing is how you're going to convince advertisers to pay to advertise on your site.
It's quite the same as convincing investors to invest in your startup. Tell them about your plans and everything and your vision. Everyone you contact will not get on board.

Edit: Our just buy some cheap as hits and show them your stats. :xf.wink::xf.wink:

Last edited:
•••
It's quite the same as convincing investors to invest in your startup. Tell them about your plans and everything and your vision. Everyone you contact will not get on board.

Edit: Our just buy some cheap as hits and show them your stats. :xf.wink::xf.wink:
So the sales pitch is... "Give me your money, and maybe people will see your ads."?

I can't see anybody getting on-board with that... particularly via a cold call email or phone call. If I'm spending ad dollars, I want to know exactly where they're going and who is going to see my ads.

•••
So the sales pitch is... "Give me your money, and maybe people will see your ads."?
Where did I say this? Your mind is making up things. I told that I will advertise my SITE from the Funds I get from advertiser.

•••
But if you fail to sell your "pigeon sh*t"(term Rick Schwartz coined ;))... there is a much bigger opportunity around the corner which anyone can join THIS WEEK and it doesn't involve a sketchy MLM.

He actually registered and is using...

www.PigeonShitDomains.com

also if you go to

www.PigeonShitNames.com

you are in for a surprise

Sub the " * " for an " i " in both links

•••
Where did I say this? Your mind is making up things. I told that I will advertise my SITE from the Funds I get from advertiser.
Which means that your customers are investing their money so that you can acquire traffic... They're paying in the hopes that one day people will see their ads.

Usually it works the other way around... You develop a site that acquires traffic, and so people are willing to pay to advertise with you.

I like your ambition... but no one will pay for this idea.

•••
How about start a pyramid scheme or a parking investment group instead

•••
Which means that your customers are investing their money so that you can acquire traffic... They're paying in the hopes that one day people will see their ads.

Usually it works the other way around... You develop a site that acquires traffic, and so people are willing to pay to advertise with you.

I like your ambition... but no one will pay for this idea.
And why do people invest in new startups, stocks and MLM's? Haven't you heard that there's a sucker born every minute? :xf.wink:

•••
And why do people invest in new startups, stocks and MLM's? Haven't you heard that there's a sucker born every minute? :xf.wink:

I invested into a couple of small startups Tesla and Dyson :xf.wink:

•••
I think you should get good niche related content on the website and start getting a trickle of traffic once thats done then approach a few big names in the industry. Due to the fact that you will not be incurring any actual costs apart from the webhosting and annual domain renewal, you should offer some of the large advertisers 3 months FREE advertising space. Then contact their competitors and show them that their direct competition is advertising on your site... bada bing bada boom! guess what happens next? :xf.grin:

•••
I think you should get good niche related content on the website and start getting a trickle of traffic once thats done then approach a few big names in the industry. Due to the fact that you will not be incurring any actual costs apart from the webhosting and annual domain renewal, you should offer some of the large advertisers 3 months FREE advertising space. Then contact their competitors and show them that their direct competition is advertising on your site... bada bing bada boom! guess what happens next? :xf.grin:
Superb outline! :xf.smile::xf.smile:

•••
Domain industry is a small somewhere like $500 million a year revenue. Not more than the world's most expensive megayacht.

But if you fail to sell your "pigeon sh*t"(term Rick Schwartz coined ;))... there is a much bigger opportunity around the corner which anyone can join THIS WEEK and it doesn't involve a sketchy MLM.

What I speak of is the $500 billion a year ADVERTISING industry.

The steps you can take:
1. Buy a decent domain name in a huge industry
2. Sell advertising.space on that domain name
3. Reinvest and repeat

One giant success for this method is the cars.com domain name. They sell advertsiing to 20,000 car dealerships worldwide. I almost fell off my chair when I heard from a local succeesful business owner that Cars.com charges those dealerships $899 a month for an ad spot. You do the math!

You are good to go!

Hope this can helps you, especially if you struggle to earn a living from online business!

Thanks for this.

isn't this what Domaining.com does in the domain industry? The owner sells advertising space to domain related websites? & he makes loads of money.

•••
Did not domains that only had advertising die off in the late 90's????
I remember back then how damn easy it was to put up a domain, and sell banner ads to everyone.
Made lots of money.
But today? You are dreaming if you think you can get a good domain and then have people/companies willing to advertise on it.
Look at the tens of thousands of blogs/sites out there with little to no advertising on them.
Why most blogs/sites use ad networks.
Really, find a better use for a good domain...for you will starve trying to sell advertising.

•••
It is an interesting idea often overlooked in our industry and thank you for staring the thread @maxjohan.

As a couple of people have noted, the real challenge is convincing advertisers. Google so dominate online advertising, it is tough to get traction. I suspect once one advertising partnership is successful getting another will be much easier.

To get advertisers to even consider a site you need not just a good domain name but quality content, regularly updated, that will attract users and that advertisers will want to be associated with. That is a lot of work and only happens if you have good expertise in the area, or a network of people who will contribute who do.

I wonder if this idea would work better with a geo name, that could be acquired for less and there is better chance of directly pitching potential advertising partners.

I have learned from the comments, and look forward to following the thread. I see a whole continuum of possibilities though. It is probably far easier to get enough advertising revenue to cover ongoing costs and perhaps investment costs on money tied up in the domain name, and for many that may be enough.

Bob

•••
isn't this what Domaining.com does in the domain industry? The owner sells advertising space to domain related websites? & he makes loads of money.
Really ?
Maybe what you should do is invest in somebody else's venture and help them grow. Win-win.
At least there is a proof of concept already working.

•••
Did not domains that only had advertising die off in the late 90's????
I remember back then how damn easy it was to put up a domain, and sell banner ads to everyone.
Made lots of money.
But today? You are dreaming if you think you can get a good domain and then have people/companies willing to advertise on it.
Look at the tens of thousands of blogs/sites out there with little to no advertising on them.
Why most blogs/sites use ad networks.
Really, find a better use for a good domain...for you will starve trying to sell advertising.
And domain name investors starve while they try to sell off their "pigeon sh*t" domain names. :xf.wink:

A major reason why advertising trumps domain names is that it has better scale. You can invest in a so many domain names before you run out of capital. And even if you are a pro, you will likely just sell 2-4% from your portfolio each year.

Lately I just invest in handregs which I plan to develop. An $8.99 domain can turn into a $1,200 a month online income. While many sells their $8.99 domain name for $1,200 and call it a sucess! Their domain name was sold and they now must figure out another handreg which is worth $1-2K to somebody.

Domaining = Not great scale

Last edited:
•••
Back