IT.COM

Has anyone tried Tapping MLM networks? Here's why....

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

WhoaDomain.com

WhoaDomain.comTop Member
Impact
Hey. I'm on a social network and I remembered the "good ole" days when I use to do MLM. I was reminded of my past in this industry when I saw someone who was a distributor for Herbalife.

I realized something. The people who join such things are entrepreneurs looking to make a little extra cash here and there just trying to make ends meet or are making buckets of cash. Some are "okay" at it and some are absolute "Superstars".

The best part? you can just Google MLM and find huge lists of MLM's. each network full of eager entrepreneurs.

Who are these people? they are regular everyday people just like you and me. willing to try something "out the box"

They are already preconditioned to "network" among their friends and family and everyone they meet to "sell" them on the MLM.

many are of course disillusioned by their current MLM or some are just successful. The last are few and far between.

Each MLM has thousands of "distributors" and members.
and are very easy to "find" on social networks because that's where they feel is best and easy to promote whatever MLM they are in.

MLM usually sells a product or service.

Domains are product yes?
How hard would it be to convince these part time or full time business owners of MLM to sell your domains for you? or even sell them on your domains?

like I said they are already precondition to try something "out the box" and most are precondition to believe in get rich quick schemes.

so in fact the MLM system has already "qualified" these people for you and done all the hard work to "find these people.

So has anyone even thought of this? or is it just me?

I did a search for :

https://www.google.com/#q=top+mlm+companies+2016

amway
Herbalife
avon
mary kay
legal shield
Arbonne
4life

Each MLM has 10's or 100's of thousands of members all of which are instructed by each MLM to "network" and go online on as many social media sites they can get on.

Sure they are "selling" products for their MLM. But from what I can see. Many MLM members actually promote multiple MLM's. kinda like hedging their bets.

I suspect most will be very interested in earning a commission for selling domains.

What do you all think?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
I see. This is mostly likely true.

•••
Not enough marketplace demand to support it.

•••
Hmmm I think, you might actually be onto something... maybe not on a large scale...as in get loads of these MLM marketers on board... BUT I think there could be some benefit to get like 2 or 3 of the top players... the ones who are already successful and offer them the opportunity to broker your domains....I mean they get an inventory to sell without spending any money upfront. (like estate agents) - I guess you could make them a deal like.... for the first month they would get full exclusivity on the domains... (that could push them to aggressively try and find buyers within that first month)

•••
An affiliate program could work if you have quality inventory. I can't see it truly becoming MLM. How would the recruiting and levels work ? Would you give initial exclusivity to all new sellers, and for which domains?
I still don't see the demand. Other items sold that way are consumables or things many people want/need. The market for domains is much smaller, and outside of the industry repeat purchases are uncommon.
I would bet that a good percentage of Avon or Herbalife customers couldn't tell you what a domain is and will go their whole lives without registering one.

Last edited:
•••
An affiliate program could work if you have quality inventory. I can't see it truly becoming MLM. How would the recruiting and levels work ? Would you give initial exclusivity to all new sellers, and for which domains?
I still don't see the demand. Other items sold that way are consumables or things many people want/need. The market for domains is much smaller, and outside of the industry repeat purchases are uncommon.
I would bet that a good percentage of Avon or Herbalife customers couldn't tell you what a domain is and will go their whole lives without registering one.

I was thinking really about MLM'ing domain brokering just that...okay well I can find every single TOP MLM salesperson out there using social media. They all have social media accounts.

I mean I wouldn't offer them to sell my domains to their downline and have to give every single person involved in getting the referral. That would be stupid. bottomline on certain social media sites the "list" of MLM'ers can be found from all the MLM companies. Avon Mary Kay.

It wouldn't be hard to simply connect with them and give them a new product to sell that has no upfront cost to them. I think that kind of scenario would be something they can appreciate since the MLM biz they jumped into probably nickel and dime them 247. Sign up for this $200. Oh but to succeed you need to buy the tutorial $450. Oh still not succeeding? need help? buy this pro elite secrets of the pros bundle only $999.

as opposed to . " hey I got a domain I want you to sell. sell it and get...5%? 10%?

•••
I was thinking really about MLM'ing domain brokering just that...okay well I can find every single TOP MLM salesperson out there using social media. They all have social media accounts.

I mean I wouldn't offer them to sell my domains to their downline and have to give every single person involved in getting the referral. That would be stupid. bottomline on certain social media sites the "list" of MLM'ers can be found from all the MLM companies. Avon Mary Kay.

It wouldn't be hard to simply connect with them and give them a new product to sell that has no upfront cost to them. I think that kind of scenario would be something they can appreciate since the MLM biz they jumped into probably nickel and dime them 247. Sign up for this $200. Oh but to succeed you need to buy the tutorial $450. Oh still not succeeding? need help? buy this pro elite secrets of the pros bundle only $999.

as opposed to . " hey I got a domain I want you to sell. sell it and get...5%? 10%?

correction "I was thinking" >>>>>>>"I WASN'T Thinking..."

•••
Well then you take the "ML" out of "MLM." :)
The ones who are worth having know better than to buy info products and tutorials, and I don't see them getting into this market. The products they deal in are consumer products with strong demand. The money is In products that fulfill. common need and are priced to sell. Domains are a B2B product with varied markets, higher price, and much less universal demand.
Mass emailing will probably end up in spam. If you reach out and connect with a few people, you may be able to develop another sales channel.

Last edited:
•••
wouldn't be allowed in uk

•••
<-- former recovered MLMer. MLMers buy horribad domains. horr. i. bad. Company regulations are very strict around domains so you'd have to stick to generics. Top MLMers have been around ages and typically are smart enough to have branded themselves rather than any ties to a company because they know their company can go poof at any moment. As such, most top MLMers have a domain they've already used for years, or it's simply their name, or a nickname.

Top MLMers are unlikely to be interested in a one-off commission of mere hundreds to risk pushing something that will confuse their downline.

EDIT: sorry, likely moot point, didn't notice platey had bumped an old topic

Last edited:
•••
Hmmm I think, you might actually be onto something... maybe not on a large scale...as in get loads of these MLM marketers on board... BUT I think there could be some benefit to get like 2 or 3 of the top players... the ones who are already successful and offer them the opportunity to broker your domains....I mean they get an inventory to sell without spending any money upfront. (like estate agents) - I guess you could make them a deal like.... for the first month they would get full exclusivity on the domains... (that could push them to aggressively try and find buyers within that first month)

I know this is an old post and thread but reread this and had to add.

I like to time crunch thing. But here's another idea.

Set your "dream" price to sell your domain and tell your mlm person.

"If you sell my domain at any price 5% commission. If you sell at my target price 10-20% commission."

There is no better incentive than money.

Just make your dream price ridiculous enough to cover the cost of higher commissions. Something you'd be comfortable with.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back