NameSilo

Transferring the domains to save some money

Labeled as question in Domain Beginners, started by bboydmr, Oct 26, 2016

Replies:
Views:

1. bboydmr

bboydmr Established Member

Hello,

• I have many .com/.net domains with namecheap and godaddy and the first one out of them, will expire on March 2017.
    • I'd like to save some money by moving those domains around to another registrars i.e transferring them to other registrars
    • Name.com has a current promotion of $8 transfer on .com/.net right now.
    My Questions -

1. Transferring the domain name to another registrar will extend their life by 1 year, correct ?
    2. $8 for a .com/.net transfer is a good deal or I can get better before March 2017 ? I believe black friday deals and Christmas deals must be solid
    3. Do I need to know anything before I transfer the domains out ? I've never transferred any domains.
    4. Is name.com alright ? Do they make it easy to transfer away from them ?

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. golan

golan GolanMedia.com VIP

Smart move. Namecheap degraded a lot during the last couple years, and i never keep anything on GD. I usually transfer my names from them during the last month of their year registration.

Never used name.com, i always use Dynadot, Namesilo, Namebright, Internetbs (although there are some neg reviews about the latter here but i never seen even a smallest flaw from them).

3. HKIBC

HKIBC Account Closed (Disallowed)

Yes.

You still have time. You can do much better than $8! :)
    One option is Register.it with their long running promo @ €0.45+VAT. With a few caveats...
    Next in line is NetFirms with @ $1.39-1.99 promos from time to time...

It's not complicated:

- you initiate the transfer from the new registrar side. This means you need to have an account with them. Sometimes this requires asking support to set one up for you.

- in order to initiate a transfer, you will be asked to provide each domain's EPP Key. You can get that from the old (current) registrar.

- before initiating transfer, you need to make sure each domain is unlocked at old registrar (i.e. lock against transfers is off).

- both registrars will send emails to each domain's current Admin Contact email address. Make sure you can get those emails!

Although we have a couple domains with them, have not transferred out any to date, so no firsthand knowledge here.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  4. Jurgen Wolf

Jurgen Wolf Top Contributor VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

No problems with name.com, but Transfer-out is without acceleration (so 6 days waiting).

You may transfer below $8 to domain.com (with their promocodes)...
    + Rebel periodically offers various Transfer-promos...

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  5. Pierre Barnard

Pierre Barnard Top Contributor VIP

Sorry to [email protected] "and i never keep anything on GD" - Any specific reason or bad experience?

6. golan

golan GolanMedia.com VIP

Specific reasons leading to bad experience. Also their pricing is not competitive and their UI is just a nightmare. Well just like Namecheap's.

7. GoKaizen

GoKaizen Always be Learning VIP ICA Member

8. isankett

isankett Established Member

This is so informative. Thanks for sharing.

9. VictorVictories

VictorVictories Established Member

Some things to keep in mind before transferring domain name

keep at least 30 days in hand before transferring the domain
    The domain status must be unlocked
    Get Auth code from the domain old domain registrar
    The email address that you submitted while registering the domain must be live
    If new and previous domain registrar have joint registrar, then the domain has to be pushed

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
NameWorth
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice