IT.COM

Top Single Domain Sales Hits $20 Million!! Sex.com no Longer Highest Domain Name Sale

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Top Single Domain Sales Hits $20 Million!! Sex.com no Longer Highest Domain Name Sale.

Evening Folks!!

It was rather stunning event at TRAFFIC today and the last panel of the show, Meeting of the Chiefs". First, we found out that the $25 Million in reported domain sales by DNJournal.com for the 3rd quarter of 2013 was about 1/2 to 1/3 of unreported sales just by Escrow.com alone.

Further, Andee Hill from Escrow.com went on to say that the total dollar volume of domain sales that get processed through Escrow.com, greatly exceed the amount that gets reported saying; “we close in some weeks more dollars in domain sales than what other company’s report in sales for the entire year."

Lastly, when asked about any sales larger than the record $14 Million Sex.com sale, we found out that Sex.com no longer holds the record. Andee Hill said she knew of one for $20 Million and Greg McNair added he also knew of a sale in excess of the sex.com sale. Now this does not mean there have not been sales in excess of $20 Million because this does not include private sales using buyer and sellers own lawyers that may hold even larger sales. Some specualte they may have reached levels of $50-$100 Million.

Let me close with this.

The domain channel is much larger than anyone thinks and top notch domain sales are SIZZLING! There is no hotter commodity on the market today than a meaningful domain name.

Rick Schwartz

http://www.ricksblog.com/2013/10/to...lion-sex-com-longer-highest-domain-name-sale/

:)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
We don't know if that included a website or other strings attached to the deal. There are however many domains that are worth more than sex.com, that's for certain!

•••
We don't know if that included a website or other strings attached to the deal. There are however many domains that are worth more than sex.com, that's for certain!

Of course websites sell for more then that all the time.
But If they are saying Sex.com no longer holds the record then it was a domain and not a website.

•••
Agree with Matt, of course :) He just beat me in posting it. Were those comments from Escrow.com definitely purely for the domain name only. Maybe? Maybe not?

•••
Agree with Matt, of course :) He just beat me in posting it. Were those comments from Escrow.com definitely purely for the domain name only. Maybe? Maybe not?

If Rick says,
Lastly, when asked about any sales larger than the record $14 Million Sex.com sale, we found out that Sex.com no longer holds the record. Andee Hill said she knew of one for $20 Million and Greg McNair added he also knew of a sale in excess of the sex.com sale.

He is referring to a Domain.
Only a domain could break Sex.com's record, not a website.
Until it is stated otherwise I believe it is in fact a domain.

•••
I know a guy who knows a guy ...

•••
Rick was referring to a Domain. But were the escrow.com people, who answered his question, referring to just a Domain, or maybe referring to a domain sale which included an entire business? They may well have easily missed Ricks point when replying. It would be very easy to remember the sale price of a domain but forget that the price paid was for more than the Domain, IMHO.

•••
Rick was referring to a Domain. But were the escrow.com people, who answered his question, referring to just a Domain, or maybe referring to a domain sale which included an entire business? They may well have easily missed Ricks point when replying. It would be very easy to remember the sale price of a domain but forget that the price paid was for more than the Domain, IMHO.

I seriously doubt Rick would say he found out that Sex.com no longer holds the record if he wasn't sure about it. imho

•••
@lennco - You completely miss my point. I wasn't talking about what Rick said. I was talking about what the Escrow.com people said. It's easy to remember the price a domain sold for, but it is also easy to not remember if there there was anything else included in the sale other than the domain name. I would need them to specifically state that the domain(s) they were referring to didn't include anything else in the sale.

•••
@lennco - You completely miss my point. I wasn't talking about what Rick said. I was talking about what the Escrow.com people said. It's easy to remember the price a domain sold for, but it is also easy to not remember if there there was anything else included in the sale other than the domain name. I would need them to specifically state that the domain(s) they were referring to didn't include anything else in the sale.

No I didn't miss your point, I think you missed my point.
My point is, I don't believe Rick would have reported that statement if he wasn't for sure that the Escrow.com people gave him the proper facts.

You are assuming there was a miscommunication somewhere between Rick and Escrow.com people, or that they didn't make it clear that is was just a domain and not a website or multiple domains which would not count as a a bigger sale then Sex.com

Do you really think Rick would have made such a huge statement without making sure it was a just 1 domain and not a website with the Escrow.com people?

•••
I'm a believer in specifics, especially when it comes to stuff like this. I would want to know the name and price. So right now, Sex.com is still the biggest reported sale.

Top Single Domain Sales Hits $20 Million!!

Woohoo, great. Wait, hold up, what is it. That's important. He doesn't even know the names himself.

Last edited:
•••
@lennco

Rick's Blog said:
Lastly, when asked about any sales larger than the record $14 Million Sex.com sale, we found out that Sex.com no longer holds the record. Andee Hill said she knew of one for $20 Million and Greg McNair added he also knew of a sale in excess of the sex.com sale

Nowhere in this question and answer does it specify the sale must be for the domain name only. I can easily see that there might have been a mis-communication in either direction, and the both Escrow.com misunderstood the question, and Rick misinterpreted their reply (intentionally or unintentionally).

I remain unconvinced, until further information is provided.

•••
Right no name was revealed, Escrow.com said we know of, and that is the norm for the shadow industry called domaining. I have people every month, I know a guy who knows a guy who sold a .tv for $1million, oh there was a $10million .net sale, without specifics I could care less.

Domaining should care that this is how a lot of ponzi schemes and other fake companies have gone over time, and before anyone gets crazy, I am not saying Domaining is fraudulent or a ponzi scheme, but I will say all this we know but its secret and the returns we accomplish are greater than anyone else ever but we can't tell you how we do it, is the same jargon used by people conning people since the caveman.

Ryan Colby tweets he does not understand how domain sales are reported and his company will never report, that's great but this business will never have transparency or the respect it seems it is so desperately trying to pretend it already has. Don't compare your industry to Real Estate or Financial Markets which have price transparency.

There was a sale bigger than Sex.com ? of course there was, without the data I don't care, factual data for me and I am only speaking for me, is the only thing that matters. I have people who I know and trust on smaller sales will tell me I got some info but I can't tell you this and that, I always stop them and say, I understand confidentiality or an NDA but if you can't tell me everything, tell me nothing, because I have no interest in anything else.

Domaining when the legend becomes fact, print the legend.

•••
Gee, what a shock! Escrow.com touts themselves comparing themselves to "other companies" (per Andee Hill), and Rick Schwartz touts the "sizzling" domain sales.

It all may be true, but I'm skeptical when those with a tremendous vested interest tout what products they just coincidentally happen to be vested in - in a big way.

•••
I can't believe a domain would sell for so much!

•••
I can't believe a domain would sell for so much!

You have to be a believer! It's only through the power of our collective wishes for higher prices do our own domains magically increase in value.

Please don't ever say you don't believe!

•••
I am guessing a misinterpretation between RS & Escrow and RS believing what he think he heard and what is fact.

And for me, grey market, NDA etc don't want to know. Unless it's there in black and white and confirmed by 239 independent ex UDRP panelists of the highest standing I remain the eternal sceptic.

BTW - I heard from a guy who's fathers best friends uncles bookies sister etc.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back