IT.COM

poll Today, do you own less or more domains than January 2014?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Today, do you own less or more domains than in January 2014?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Less

votes
    29.4%
  • More

votes
    70.6%
  • Nothing has changed

votes
    0.0%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

BrandChimp

Life is short. Get up and make yours better. ChimpTop Member
Impact
Hi NameProers!

in 2014 I used to own 200 names and I wanted to bring this number down to 150 by the end of that year and than the Chinese have arrived! My investment strategy has drastically change. I am now at 290+ domain names due to the high demand in short domains.

My question is: Today, do you own less or more domains than January 2014?

Thank you for participating to this poll!

Xavier.xyz

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
more, way more, but I'm going to be downsizing over this next year for sure.

•••
more, way more, but I'm going to be downsizing over this next year for sure.

Can't wait to see how much money I will need spend next year on renewals/transfers vs sales!

It can be scary If you plan renewing all your Chinese names!

Last edited:
•••
I own less, I was completely out of domaining and was focusing on my core area of Web Designing and Development, but again i started it in June 2015 :)

•••
Over the last several years I have continued to pare my .Net holdings. Despite the fact that renewals are less than $10 and I do have occasional low $XXX .Net sales, after commissions low $XXX sales just don't allow one to pay many renewals. Consequently each year my .Net portfolio continues to shrink.

While video content continues to become more mainstream as broadband connections as more common, .TV domains sales are not frequent enough to justify those $28-$30 renewals. So in the last couple of years I have been letting many of them go and reducing pricing sharply on those I still hold.

I dropped most of my .Info domains years ago but continue to pare my .Info portfolio every year because despite modest pricing on them, in ten years of domaining I have never sold even one .Info domain.

.Org has been an OK TLD for me but I have never held many .Org domains as they don't fit well for a for-profit enterprise. I still hold a few but am not looking to acquire more.

While I have dropped quite a few .COM domains this year, my .COM registrations are up from a few years ago. Ask yourself why there are close to 120 million .COM registrations and which TLD has more sales than any other TLD on the weekly sales reports.

I hold ZERO new TLDs and view investing in them as a huge gamble likely to result in a complete loss. Domains are speculative enough to begin with so until domains are valued as brands by mainstream business people and we see regular aftermarket nTLD sales on the sales reports, why waste money on TLDs few end users are paying serious money for in the aftermarket.

•••
2014 : 2-3 domains for personnal projects.
2015 : 275 (max) .. 235 (current)
2016 : 100 (target)

I'll try to keep my inventory to a maximum of 100 or 125 in the future.
If I want to buy, I'll have to sell first.

Last edited:
•••
I downsized some last year, but have been picking things up more this year. I think partly why is because of the huge pickup in the Chinese market. There are a few different types of domains I couldn't have predicted getting into back in January. With how quickly things change in this industry my counts went up fairly quickly.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back