IT.COM

poll Are you more optimistic or less optimistic about domaining today?

NameSilo
Watch

Are you more optimistic or less optimistic about domaining today?

• 1st

More

votes
    49.3%
  • 2nd

Same

votes
    36.2%
  • 3rd

Less

votes
    14.5%

• 69 votes
  • Ended 3 years ago
  • Final results

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
If you have been into domain investing for at least 12 months are you more or less optimistic about your business today compared to when you started?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I voted yes, in a macro sense.

More businesses will need online presence. But quality of domain name matters. If you have a quality DN portfolio, more optimistic.

In reality, unless you are full-time into this, or spend a good amount of time finding and selling good names, personally it may be a " same".

•••
I am more optimistic about my own portfolio.

I am less optimistic when it comes to new investors being able to compete with current auction prices.

Brad

•••
•••
•••
I'm more optimistic about my own domaining career I think. I've sold some domains this year and made a profit so I can't complain about that. The names I've bought have been of better quality this year (in my opinion). Not sure how I feel about the industry as a whole. In some ways we've never had it so good and in other ways it's worse.

•••
I went for a walk this morning and passed through a nearby park. In the parking lot facing toward a busy street corner was a large truck with an ad for a gutter service. They were using the truck to promote their business. The truck likely cost them easy $30-$40k, the 1-800 number likely costs hundreds of dollars annually and they had a three-word .Com domain. Ok I would never target gutter cleaning or installation service domains but businesses spend serious money on advertising. 25 years after the internet became mainstream most of them still see little reason to spend more than reg fee on a domain name.

•••
I went for a walk this morning and passed through a nearby park. In the parking lot facing toward a busy street corner was a large truck with an ad for a gutter service. They were using the truck to promote their business. The truck likely cost them easy $30-$40k, the 1-800 number likely costs hundreds of dollars annually and they had a three-word .Com domain. Ok I would never target gutter cleaning or installation service domains but businesses spend serious money on advertising. 25 years after the internet became mainstream most of them still see little reason to spend more than reg fee on a domain name.

That might be the case now, but times are slowly changing.

I sold a 3 word .COM in the septic field (an EMD) for $9,000 in the last 10 days. It has already been developed.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
I am more optimistic about my own portfolio.

I am less optimistic when it comes to new investors being able to compete with current auction prices.

Brad

Hi

agree with Brad, but voted "same"

i try to keep the same level of optimism about my own holdings, which have been high since starting.

it was easier then, to have that mindset,
as there were more opportunities, less competition, higher ppc revenues, and acquisition costs were lower.

even during slow sale periods and declining ppc rev, the optimism remains, because one click or one sale
can change the day.

on other side as mentioned
for new investors, it's almost like crabs in a barrel at the auctions
and unless you a crab with a keen eye and some $, then you might drown like those who can't find their way out.

but, domaining will survive, and i'm optimistic about that.

imo....

Last edited:
•••
I voted more optimistic as I've never sold one since I started nearly 3 years and it can't get any worse for me personally. It can only get better. Had a low ball offer about 18 months ago on one name but nothing since. Just as well I don't rely on it as an income and more of just a hobby and something to do in my spare time. Everything is hand regged so not too much money spent and maybe I'll sell one next year. Hope you all have a productive 2021.

Gary

•••
it should be no brainer in time we gain experience .. confidence... and thus optimism...if u wanna call it that ...

there is something seriously wrong with us if as we gain years of domaining experience we become pessimists... domains are full of opportunities waiting for nothing more than our hardworking and experience to catch up and see those opportunities... there is nothing ever wrong with domaining... only with domainers... not yet experienced enuf and not putting effort and work needed.

Last edited:
•••
Less optimistic since 2015...
Regarding 2020 - the worst year ever.

•••
  • Domain name industry, come on:xf.smile:

•••
I can Boldly say "MORE OPTIMISTIC "in capital letters about my own portfolio as well. Read,research, focus, go in with your guts.Invest smartly.Know when to not overpay or get carried away.

Learn from the best around and see what they are doing right and what makes them successful. There are lots of people silently making good figures .

Most can't take good advise so they keep making same mistakes and losing money. The opportunities are still there.You can still find gems,if you work smartly and take your time to read and act. Don't be lazy 😅.

I am still learning everyday.
2020 has been good.Best year since I started domaining even with turning down some offers .I am grateful 🙏.

Stay positive.I expect 2021 to be better than 2020 🙏.

Last edited:
•••
So it seems there is a bit of a divergence for some, older portfolio owners are optimistic about their portfolio but not as optimistic for those coming into the business.

•••
I am liking my portfolio more than ever but i am not seeing any business lately.

•••
5 years ago I was less optimistic. Business owners would prefer having a Facebook or Instragram pages than having a separate website. Now crackdown and biased banning by social networking sites, business owners are frustrated. If their personal accounts are banned, their business pages are affected as a result.

•••
Not enough votes to tell a lot but more with a small win here.

•••
I somehow missed this thread and didnt voted. I am more optimistic this year compared to last year and will most likely beat my income in 2020. I had only one enduser sale(600$) in 2020 which was my second year in domaining compared to three in my first year in 2019(799$) but I had 5 liquidation sales(410$) in 2020 compared to 0 in 2019. So I had managed to beat my income in 2019 so I am more optimistic to do better this year. I mostly did handregs or buy godaddy closeouts. This year I have different plan, No paydays for me this year, will only reinvest in better domains.

Last edited:
•••
I somehow missed this thread and didnt voted. I am more optimistic this year compared to last year and will most likely beat my income in 2020. I had only one enduser sale(600$) in 2020 which was my second year in domaining compared to three in my first year in 2019(799$) but I had 5 liquidation sales(410$) in 2020 compared to 0 in 2019. So I had managed to beat my income in 2019 so I am more optimistic to do better this year. I mostly did handregs or buy godaddy closeouts. This year I have different plan, No paydays for me this year, will only reinvest in better domains.

Reinvesting is the hard part as expired auction prices have been high. Good luck in the new year.

•••
I voted more optimistic as I've never sold one since I started nearly 3 years and it can't get any worse for me personally. It can only get better. Had a low ball offer about 18 months ago on one name but nothing since. Just as well I don't rely on it as an income and more of just a hobby and something to do in my spare time. Everything is hand regged so not too much money spent and maybe I'll sell one next year. Hope you all have a productive 2021.

Gary
Holy cow. Gary!

3 years and no sales? Have you at least listed everywhere like the major sites: Afternic, Sedo, DAN, Epik, others?

I would consider myself on the more optimistic side, but after reading your post I might change my mind 🤔

What is your portfolio size?

•••
•••
I'm actually more excited than ever. This year I know I lost some sales because of the pandemic, 2 people literally told me that. Lost a big sale in March because of it. That guy came back and we completed that sale in December. The other we're going to do a lease to own option over at Dan this week, gives me a chance to try that out for the first time. On top of some great sales in Dec/Jan. Still had sales during the year but a little lighter than usual. I'm actually looking to buy a new laptop that will be a Domainer Laptop. 100% business. Open it up, nothing but domaining bookmarks and such.

My big goal this year is to finally figure out what landing page I want to go with. It's down to 3 basically.

Afternic n3/n4

Dan

My site/Efty

Will split the domains up and rotate them around and test it out.

Last edited:
•••
i would vote for less optimistic because no sales for the last month.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back