Dynadot

Time to say goodbye to Above.com!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

alcy

Top Member
Impact
its been a nice place to be at to control all traffic and redirects.. loved it.

one click of a mouse, 2 seconds later, and everything redirects to where you want.. no dns changes at registrars.. just enter url redirect or dns and off you go.. well.. not any more it seems.. today I got an email from them saying they have exciting great news for me.. and improvement as they call it.. that all custom url redirects are going to be disabled shortly.

http://mailchi.mp/eb17e04f982f/g0s7uxbaae-543637?e=dc290189c7

I guess everyone gets greedy eventually.. and this is their way to try attract their registrar clients.. and offer that functionality only to them. for domains you reg with them... sure you can argue that all registrars only offer url redirects on their own domains... but.. if you offer this service to countless people for X years... can this sort of argument really mean anything other at that stage than that your getting bit greedy... oh well.. no matter now I guess.

its too bad. I always had only the best things to say about above.com on namepros.. because they deserved it. many people switched to them after hearing about it on namepros.

now they deserve to hear how disappointing a move it is. for many clients. goodbye above.com
and all the best.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
thanks for the pm! yes indeed! it appears bodis may be the only other free and convenient option left.. redirect without parked page. can someone confirm if their redirects are maksed or unmasked or somehow we get to pick which one?

Last edited:
•••
thanks for the pm! yes indeed! it appears bodis may be the only other free and convenient option left.. redirect without parked page. can someone confirm if their redirects are maksed or unmasked or somehow we get to pick which one?

voodoo no longer free?

•••
voodoo no longer free?

Voodoo provides redirection when the visitor clicks on the sale banner.
Above.com provided redirection to the domain itself, ie. when the visitor visited the domain, they were redirected to wherever you chose to.

Very very bad move on behalf of Above.com. I really don't see how they consider this as an 'exciting' change... exciting for them maybe? :/

•••
voodoo no longer free?

yes voodoo free.
but they never offered rediect bypassing prked page. only through banner click.
can't blame them. eveyrone wants to make money.

but.. luckily at least for now.. one last option free seems left.. which is bodis.

so.. I guess that where the 578437584357 previously happy for long time above.com clinets will be headed to now.

talk about a way to lose some clients.. almost overnite! wow.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back