IT.COM

Time for a LLLL.com forum?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Len

dot TV'erVIP Member
Impact
Do others here think it is time for a separate forum for LLLL.com's similar to the .tv forum where they can be bought, sold and discussed? There appears to be too many threads pertaining to this subject especially in the sales forums. Reminds me of the Klondike gold rush where everyone is clamering to stake their claim!! It's getting to the point where it seems unless you are selling a LLLL.com you may as well forget it! JMHO

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
i think the best thing is a section for "5 and under characters"

with that people as moderators it will be a very successful section... much info, promotion

•••
Filter's my man. Up and running tomorrow?

Oh, without saying Lorenzo and Reece will help our new puppet leader!

•••
bricio said:
i think the best thing is a section for "5 and under characters"

I agree with this. There are way to many threads on LLLL.com, LLLL.net, etc. Not to mention that all of those are highlighted in different collors as well which can blind you when there are 12 of those on the 1st page.

•••
I think this is a great idea. We need to clear the short domain crap out of the marketplace and into its own separate market.

-Frikkle :tu:

•••
i think the best thing is a section for "5 and under characters
I would agree if it were that simple. Would that include all extensions? .us .mobi, etc? 4L, 5L, Numbers, pronoucibles? Then I think we're back where we started! The thread would be too diverse for most. Just my $2 of gas money. There's smarter out there than this newb. I'll be there whatever you decide.

Last edited:
•••
I think we should keep it right here, I like how active the board has become. You might not like reading about the LLLL's; but for some strange reason, the threads are booming and our lives will get better for it.

I like things the way they are.

•••
okay. 5 and under agreed.

think should just be com at first?
what u reckon?
or just sold out out versions?

•••
If you're aiming for a separate section I'd say everything 5 and under.

Though there's been no word from RJ? Does he even know about this? :laugh:

I'm a little skeptical about hyphens but then I guess you can't have everything.

•••
for me "5 and under" for everything as it would be an "acronym section" so why not put in it everything?
maybe what can be done is a gTLD area and a ccTLD area inside the section

what do you guys think?
just my imagination :)

•••
KingDon said:
I think we should keep it right here, I like how active the board has become. You might not like reading about the LLLL's; but for some strange reason, the threads are booming and our lives will get better for it.

I like things the way they are.
I think I kind of agree with KingDon -- keeping it out in the open is a better way of catching the interest of domainers who aren't already involved in it. Once you cordon it off, people think it's a specialty thing and may not bother to take a look.

I also agree that if it is done, it's going to get crazy if it's not specifically a .COM section.

•••
So it's ok for the main forum to "get crazy" but not the speciality acronym/short forum? Doesn't make much sense. LLLL is LLLL whatever the tld.

•••
wow! nothing since yesterday. Are we all brain fried or still thinking? :yell:

•••
gary-glen said:
wow! nothing since yesterday. Are we all brain fried or still thinking? :yell:
heh. A bit of both, in my case.

Not a lot anyone can actually do to create a sub-forum without "The Mayor" (RJ) or some similarly capable NamePros proprietor actually making it happen. This idea has been kicking around for some months already ....

:'(

•••
Maybe RJ is on vacation.

There are some real issues, though. The only group that really fits with LLLL.com is LLLL.net. I don't know enough about the hyphens to know how well they fit, but LLL.anything really seems to be a different planet. LLLL.org, LLLL.info, LLLL.mobi - uncharted terain. I guess they could fit in a LLLL forum, but they have a ways to grow. And LLLLL is a different animal entirely. But OK, I can go with 5 or less characters - Marx Brothers are in, Monty Python is out.

The marketplace is another story. A seller wants the greatest exposure of his wares, the buyer wants to see what he is looking for, with minimal noise. I wonder if it is possible to have both - a series of specalized markets that automatically are included in a larger, central market. Or, for that matter, there could be a searchable list of domains with prices offered that could be quickly read without the need to open individual posts. Posts could serve to give additional details and show all the domains a particular seller is offering to facilitate bulk offers.

But then you get into the four types of sales (fixed price, auctions, domains wanted, not-sure-if-I-wanna-sell-but-make-an-offer). We do not need different markets of all four kinds for each variety of domain. Better a database and many different ways to present it - not that I could design such a thing.

•••
accentnepal said:
Maybe RJ is on vacation.
But then you get into the four types of sales (fixed price, auctions, domains wanted, not-sure-if-I-wanna-sell-but-make-an-offer). We do not need different markets of all four kinds for each variety of domain. Better a database and many different ways to present it - not that I could design such a thing.

This would be awesome but would require lots of efforts, it would be neat to have some kind of AJAX database search function. :xf.love:

The quick and simple solution would be to just ad a Sub-Forum below each type of marketplace like this example:

Domains For Sale - Fixed Price
Sub Forum - LLLL.com

Domains For Sale - Make Offer
Sub Forum - LLLL.com

Domains For Sale - Auctions
Sub Forum - LLLL.com

High Priced Domains
Sub Forum - LLLL.com

The question is if we should include the most common ones or just call it "Acronyms".

As you pointed out the seller wants the greatest exposure of his domains, buyer wants to see what he is looking for. I believe that Sub-Forums is the best solution for this.

I have as most of us both ordinary domains and some LLLL.com's. When i want to sell my ordinary names (Non LLLL) I want the maximum exposure since i never know beforehand who might be interested in my names. But since the LLLL.com explosion this is no longer the case.

The LLLL domains have taken over the marketplace, it is totally swamped with LLLL's. The result is that it's becoming harder and harder for both seller and buyer of ordinary domains to find each other. The Marketplace has in fact become a LLLL Marketplace with a minority of ordinary domains. The LLLL segment dominates the marketplace today and there is no end in sight for this segment as demand is increasing by the day.

It's almost getting difficult for buyers of LLLL's to find the LLLL niche they are interested in! The LLLL market is in need of getting more organized IMHO.

Creating a LLLL/Acronyms Sub-Forum would make it easier for LLLL sellers and buyers to do business with each other. It would also increase and optimize the exposure for the LLLL market since it would be obvious for everyone where to look for these domains.

Just my $0.002 Cents

•••
Len said:
Do others here think it is time for a separate forum for LLLL.com's similar to the .tv forum where they can be bought, sold and discussed? There appears to be too many threads pertaining to this subject especially in the sales forums. Reminds me of the Klondike gold rush where everyone is clamering to stake their claim!! It's getting to the point where it seems unless you are selling a LLLL.com you may as well forget it! JMHO

Agree 100%, the board needs to be cleaned up of the LLLL etc posts that are occurring ad nauseam.

It's killing the board with useless threads imo

•••
Stargazer said:
This would be awesome but would require lots of efforts, it would be neat to have some kind of AJAX database search function. :xf.love:

The quick and simple solution would be to just ad a Sub-Forum below each type of marketplace like this example:

Domains For Sale - Fixed Price
Sub Forum - LLLL.com

Domains For Sale - Make Offer
Sub Forum - LLLL.com

Domains For Sale - Auctions
Sub Forum - LLLL.com

High Priced Domains
Sub Forum - LLLL.com

The question is if we should include the most common ones or just call it "Acronyms".

As you pointed out the seller wants the greatest exposure of his domains, buyer wants to see what he is looking for. I believe that Sub-Forums is the best solution for this.

I have as most of us both ordinary domains and some LLLL.com's. When i want to sell my ordinary names (Non LLLL) I want the maximum exposure since i never know beforehand who might be interested in my names. But since the LLLL.com explosion this is no longer the case.

The LLLL domains have taken over the marketplace, it is totally swamped with LLLL's. The result is that it's becoming harder and harder for both seller and buyer of ordinary domains to find each other. The Marketplace has in fact become a LLLL Marketplace with a minority of ordinary domains. The LLLL segment dominates the marketplace today and there is no end in sight for this segment as demand is increasing by the day.

It's almost getting difficult for buyers of LLLL's to find the LLLL niche they are interested in! The LLLL market is in need of getting more organized IMHO.

Creating a LLLL/Acronyms Sub-Forum would make it easier for LLLL sellers and buyers to do business with each other. It would also increase and optimize the exposure for the LLLL market since it would be obvious for everyone where to look for these domains.

Just my $0.002 Cents

I agree on that. Certainly it`s not an easy solution but maybe RJ could test one for now and see it that one is the best one.

•••
i also agree with Stargazer
this can be a great solution if we dont have "5 and under character" section

•••
I support the idea of 5 Character Under section with Italian Dragon (Lorenzo), Reece being the mod for this section. Filter will naturally get involved either way but is not essential for him to be a mod.

•••
any word from the mayor about this?

•••
Nope, though I've seen him around :snaphappy:

Maybe if they ignore it long enough we'll go away :laugh:

Cheers!

•••
I support an "Acronym domains" (5 letters/numbers or less) subsection for the general domain discussion forum, but not for the sales forums.

•••
mwzd said:
Nope, though I've seen him around :snaphappy:

Maybe if they ignore it long enough we'll go away :laugh:

Cheers!
But they don't understand that we can't go away...we've nowhere else to go! :'( :'(

•••
Try on this idea for size:
Each seller enters each domain in a simple form (could even have a bulk system, but that is for later). Hyphens, length, extension, IDNs, numbers are detected automatically. Maybe dictionary single words are detected, although there are lots of different dictionarys, many languages and IDNs to confuse that process.

Then the seller enters say four keywords / topics, chooses 1-3 categories (another source of issues) and enters website/no website and any other yes/no information that may be worth asking. The Seller choses fixed price / make offer / auction / end users only (or maybe call it "I got this, but you won't like my price") . {I really like that last idea, by the way - it would screen out the low ballers but let someone who really could use the name get it.} Results would show the name, price, and, say, a 20 character description from the seller.

All names would link to a seller page for each seller, where an extended description could be offered and other names shown. Buyers could search the entire list by extension, price, date entered, length, and so on or search for keywords, topics and categories {topics are seller chosen, categories are fixed}.

OK, here is one for you. Namepros members (screened somehow to prevent spamming) could go through the lists and rate domains by how good their prices are. Sometimes an explaination is needed to justify the price, and some members would rate low while others rate high, but it would really help sales if the reasonable- and bargain priced domains were easy for buyers to find.

OK, I will wake up now.

•••
1 in 4 threads on the frontpage right now regard to short domains.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back