Dynadot

Tick.com no longer a "Top Domain" according to Sedo

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ShenleyAvenue

Established Member
Impact
My Domain Tick.com had been listed on Sedo as a "Top Domain" for a few months but it has now been dropped - their reason for dropping it is that it's "not a good fit" for them any more. All the stranger as they recently offered to broker it for me for a very large amount of money.

What do you think - fair cop or not?

Without (MUCH) bias or bitterness it beats me how the following domains for example are considered by Sedo as "Top Domains" where the likes of Tick.com isn't...

freewebsite.com
instants.com
spicedrum.com
augs.com
severity.com
onlinebidding.com
raging.com
fewo.com
etc.

https://sedo.com/search/?special_inventory=1&language=us&rel=4#

Oh well I'm sure I'm not the only one who's had this frustrating experience with Sedo! Thanks, Martin

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
Tick not very brandable If you ask me, i wouldn’t want to name a business “tick”

•••
Tick not very brandable If you ask me, i wouldn’t want to name a business “tick”
...not even if the word is most associated in the English-speaking world with the positive tick symbol?

•••
Idk I just feel like it’s one of those words that needs another word with it. Doesn’t really work alone.
Don’t get me wrong it’s still a great 4L/one word .com but I can see why they have it off the top list.

•••
...not even if the word is most associated in the English-speaking world with the positive tick symbol?

bit of a 50/50 call on this one. I note the Oxford English goes for the Positive connotation and Wikipedia the parasite (as first call)

I was a bit surprised to see it in the Top-domains at Sedo

•••
Tick means correctness or "tick" the sound means it is proceeding. Domain is short and super memorable. One of top domain sure.

•••
They gave you a few months, it didn’t sell, other names need to be displayed.

Do they have better names for sale at sedo, YES

•••
bit of a 50/50 call on this one. I note the Oxford English goes for the Positive connotation and Wikipedia the parasite (as first call)

Not wishing to sound defensive, to the average American (inc. Wikipedia) I don’t doubt that the first thing they might think of re tick is likely to be the insect, where it’s more ingrained in their language and culture. However the bulk of native English speakers aren’t American and the word tick is much more synonymous with the tick symbol and with a unit of time. The OED bears this out.

Last edited:
•••
Yep it is also a bit of an age related association.
the younger English speaker will think tick-tock or approval. Whereas your average elderly will want to get out the Vinegar.

I don't doubt a bit of good branding could overcome whichever.

•••
Hi,

Its a great word. As correctly suggested by others it signifies tick ( also implies correct) symbol.

In addition can be brandable for watch/wall clock. Tick watches - 'Right time' :)

I suggest that it can be a very good name for a anti-tick product of a veterinary pharmaceutical company. You should contact them.

Kind Regards,

Pavan

•••
Hi,

Its a great word. As correctly suggested by others it signifies tick ( also implies correct) symbol.

In addition can be brandable for watch/wall clock. Tick watches - 'Right time' :)

I suggest that it can be a very good name for a anti-tick product of a veterinary pharmaceutical company. You should contact them.

Kind Regards,

Pavan

Thanks Pavan, the ‘anti-tick’ route is a good possibility although I think it’s best suited as a stand-alone brand or to timepieces, Martin

•••
Personally I think it's an excellent name. Short, brandable, versatile, positive connotation. I don't know what more one could want from a domain name.

•••
However the bulk of native English speakers aren’t American

I saw this name and thread and the first thing came to mind is lyme disease.

“Native English” is limited to 2 countries btw, not bulk. ESL is worldwide.
You might target “English speakers with sufficient extra money to buy expensive domains”, and that reduces it back to the US and UK.

Longines, Omega, Rolex a chance they might “get it”, but only luxury watches as cheaper one are disappearing with smartphone use. Tic toc might be better. “Ticker”, too bad you don’t have that. For a realtime stock trading site or app. Or a cardiac related company as US slang for heart. Probably crowded market both.

Tick could be a countdown timer, but plenty of those already. Timeanddate(.)Com or the deathclock(.)com, or usdebtclock(.)com.. develop it into some unique app.

•••
Brilliant domain, good luck with it.

•••
They gave you a few months, it didn’t sell, other names need to be displayed.

Do they have better names for sale at sedo, YES

If Sedo's policy re 'Top Domains' is to rotate their visibility (either because there's just too many top domains and/or because they only want to showcase a certain amount at a time) then that might make sense - although it would seemingly be more sensible for Sedo to MAXIMISE its showcasing of the so-called better domains to potentially maximise their revenues.

But why then label a domain as a 'Top Domain' one minute (which apparently at some point satisfied Sedo's various criteria for being a 'Top Domain') but then remove it the next? At the very least this must confuse the punters!

•••
•••
I saw this name and thread and the first thing came to mind is lyme disease.

“Native English” is limited to 2 countries btw, not bulk. ESL is worldwide.
You might target “English speakers with sufficient extra money to buy expensive domains”, and that reduces it back to the US and UK.

Longines, Omega, Rolex a chance they might “get it”, but only luxury watches as cheaper one are disappearing with smartphone use. Tic toc might be better. “Ticker”, too bad you don’t have that. For a realtime stock trading site or app. Or a cardiac related company as US slang for heart. Probably crowded market both.

Tick could be a countdown timer, but plenty of those already. Timeanddate(.)Com or the deathclock(.)com, or usdebtclock(.)com.. develop it into some unique app.
Thanks. Yep, forget the word 'native' - I should have just wrote "...the bulk of English speakers aren’t American".

Although according to the UK government you're wrong by some margin on your quote that native English is limited to 2 countries - https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/international/english-speaking-countries

•••
Any costly purchase require right time and right buyer. As English is international, you never know which country will buy it. Example China, India etc. is not the prosperous country but again some of top riches persons or company live in China, India. Ref. 360.com sale

Last edited:
•••
Stock Market, Time. The bug would be the last thing to use with it even though would be a great site for that too

Dumb not to have it in top domains Sedo

I think Sedo believes it needs a toc at the end. lol

•••
Thanks. Yep, forget the word 'native' - I should have just wrote "...the bulk of English speakers aren’t American".

Although according to the UK government you're wrong by some margin on your quote that native English is limited to 2 countries - https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/international/english-speaking-countries

If bulk = number of countries, I am wrong. But I thought you meant the word bulk = population, no? If so, I am correct, that entire list of countries populations all added together does not equal 330 million in the US. If you want to open it up you might want to add up India and Pakistan as ESL then you would exceed the US population. St Kitts and Nevis is 54,000 people.

I obviously forgot and left out Australia, New Zealand and Canada are ~65 million combined.

Use something like KWfinder and SERP results to locate similar words for search volume on watches, clocks and lyme disease and search terms, you can find some new ideas of who and where to target. It’s rare to find a LLLL exact match like that, nice investment. Hope you sell it for good money.

•••
If bulk = number of countries, I am wrong. But I thought you meant the word bulk = population, no? If so, I am correct, that entire list of countries populations all added together does not equal 330 million in the US. If you want to open it up you might want to add up India and Pakistan as ESL then you would exceed the US population. St Kitts and Nevis is 54,000 people.

I obviously forgot and left out Australia, New Zealand and Canada are ~65 million combined.

Use something like KWfinder and SERP results to locate similar words for search volume on watches, clocks and lyme disease and search terms, you can find some new ideas of who and where to target. It’s rare to find a LLLL exact match like that, nice investment. Hope you sell it for good money.
Just for reference, approx. 20% of the world's population speak English (1.5 billion), which is significantly more than the number of people in the US who speak it (I read that's approx. 230 million).

•••
And prepare for private sale. As this kind of sale usually are private purchase. Only care auction etc. if you want resale price. By the way may be US is the country of majority of native speaker. But UK English is international. Example if any student in India write US spelling in exam, teacher will mark it "X" and award 0 marks. (Though those teachers uses US spelling also when private communication.)

Last edited:
•••
Really a nice name, Tick is positive sign.
I own TickCrypto.com

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back