Domain Empire

question Thoughts on buying song lyric domain names or famous quotes domain names

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

pathfinderbeacon

Established Member
Impact
What are your thoughts on buying your {favorite line from your favorite song}.com or {a snippet of your favorite quote}.com?

Is it legal to own a domain that originates from a song lyric? I'm talking about unique lines, not like "baby I love you" or something cliche like that.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Lyrics are intellectual property, like text and images. If you use someone’s property without permission, whether it’s a car, a bicycle, or the words to a popular tune, you are violating their property rights.

Using lyrics is particularly risky, not because they are special in the eyes of the law, but because they are owned by music companies that aggressively protect their rights. You could get a lawyer letter demanding you “cease and desist” using the lyrics. Translation–shred every copy of your book, even though the infringing words are 25 out of 95,000. Worse, you could be liable for monetary damages.

https://www.thebookdesigner.com/2015/03/how-to-use-lyrics-without-paying-a-fortune-or-a-lawyer/

•••
Lyrics are intellectual property, like text and images. If you use someone’s property without permission, whether it’s a car, a bicycle, or the words to a popular tune, you are violating their property rights.

Using lyrics is particularly risky, not because they are special in the eyes of the law, but because they are owned by music companies that aggressively protect their rights. You could get a lawyer letter demanding you “cease and desist” using the lyrics. Translation–shred every copy of your book, even though the infringing words are 25 out of 95,000. Worse, you could be liable for monetary damages.

Thanks for that info! I will stay away.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back