IT.COM

This is How I lost my Domain Name at Epik.com

NameSilo
Watch

Fadi H

BrandNameSolutions.comTop Member
Impact
Hello everyone,

I've been closing my eyes on many things that I didn't like on Epik.com Registrar. But today is the final day and I'm transferring all my domains from there for a Never comeback.

So what happened is that I had a .CO domain hosted at Epik, Which Expired on December 11th 2021. I did not renew it or transfer it as I've been busy and thought I still have time as I know that .CO domains have a 40 day grace period and that's by the registry. And during that grace period domains are transferable and renewable.

Yesterday I logged in to my account and didn't find the domain, So I clicked the blue button and the support agent said that they will look into the matter and reach back to me later.

Today I received the following response :

"Hello Fadi,

The domain expired on December 11, 2021 and the grace renewal period is 15 days which means that the last day that you have to renew your domain was on December 26, 2021. Since renewal did not take place, and someone had a backorder on your domain, the backorder was fulfilled.

We may be able to get in contact with the new owner to help you get your domain back but you might need to provide your best offer so we can send it to our sales team.

Looking forward hearing from you. "

So I clicked back the blue button questioning about that backorder story and I got the following response :

"Thank you for patiently waiting. I have confirmed with our tech team that domain renewals of 40 day grace period is only applicable for domains without back order. You will only get 15 day grace period if there is a backorder for your domain."

But in fact if you visit Epik.com You will not find this backorder story anywhere on the site.

They referred to this link which doesn't help :

https://www.epik.com/support/faq/expired-registration-recovery-policy/

1640816140482.png

I'm not satisfied with their answers at all and this is the first time I hear of this 15 day back-order story and it's not even mentioned anywhere on the site.

You can see it clearly "After the discretionary grace period the customer's domain is deleted from their account. And deleted domains may be recoverable for up to a total of 69 days after the expiration date.

Where is the 15 day backorder story?

Your opinions matter, Do you think what they did is right?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It said, "In most cases, deleted domains may be recoverable for up to a total of 69 days after the expiration date." So that really covers their behind, notice they say 'in most cases' it can be recoverable', well most does not mean 100% of the time. So that's the loophole for them is that they said "most", if they said always or 100% of the time then you'd have a leg to walk on but the term 'most' means most of the time. So you should have read carefully.

For me it still doesn't help. They should've stated clearly the different scenarios that could happen after their grace period is over. But they decided to show only one shiny scenario that the domain will be held by Epik for up to 69 days and can be recoverable.

It was a good name but I can afford to lose it. That was just my feedback and the end of journey at Epik. I'm happy tho that I shortlisted my list of registrars to a very few this year.

S/o for the "Legendary support" and goodluck for you guys.

Last edited:
•••
Epik has a terrible policy and the owner is even worse. Stay far away from epik.com as they’ll take advantage of customers at any cost.

•••
I am not really a fan of the short 15 day grace period, but that apparently is in their TOS.

To say they "stole" your domain though, is hyperbolic IMO.

Brad
Orite I stand back for that statement. But my questions are not yet answered.

•••
Orite I stand back for that statement. But my questions are not yet answered.
If someone said I'll feed you most of the time, or I'd help you most of the time I would not assume 100% so really the verbiage was odd that you could get it back most of the time. I think godaddy would have let you recover for a little longer just slap you with a $69 recovery fee. If epik held domains for super long they would likely slap you with a fine too.

Last edited:
•••
Did you see what I saw too Mr. ford that it says, "in most cases" and that that doesn't mean it can be recovered 100% of the time?
Yeah. That is what "in what most cases" would mean...More cases than not, but not all cases.

Maybe Epik should clarify when that would apply, for instance when backorders have been placed.

Brad

•••
Also if he renew late I think domain is not stolen, it's deleted or dropped to fry epik over this is crazy.
What's the takeaway from all this @Daniel Owens? Eel keep saying it's Epik's fault for chopping his domain. But I've been shouting from the belfry for people to renew their high-steak domain names on time. Always fishing through threads finding non-renewers just drives me crazy. Fat chance anything will change. Also nobody stole your domain name. I think you are overfishing clicks from your hook-and-bait thread title. Anyway I woke up chipper but had a crappie day. Oil see you later.

Last edited:
•••
i missed that it was backordered away. Sorry

Last edited:
•••
If someone said I'll feed you most of the time, or I'd help you most of the time I would not assume 100%

Not the same.
I think godaddy would have let your recover for a little longer just slap you with a $69 recovery fee. If epik held domains for super long they would likely slap you with a fine too.

Yeah, But where's that? They smoothly gave the domain to someone else as they claim.

•••
Yeah. That is what "in what most cases" would mean...More cases than not, but not all cases.

Maybe Epik should clarify when that would apply, for instance when backorders have been placed.

Brad
Yeah, epik should clarify no doubt but with the verbiage they could not get sued or anything. If it's not recoverable then it's time to move on, I feel sad for him but the only way for OP to get domain back is probably to buy from new owner which is probably not an option.

•••
Just go to their live chat, simply tell them you missed renewal and you want it restored to your account to renew. They will restore it and you should renew immediately.

The domain have been given to someone else who placed a backorder.

•••
The domain have been given to someone else who placed a backorder.
I do have symphony for you but since you didn't know the rules of the game really nothing you can do. It should be a lesson learned it may seem unfair but it is what it is. Now if you stay at epik you know to renew on time. A better argument for not using epik would be the data breech a month ago where it's possible banking info was stolen. But yeah it does suck you lost domain. Sorry man.

•••
Yeah, epik should clarify no doubt but with the verbiage they could not get sued or anything. If it's not recoverable then it's time to move on, I feel sad for him but the only way for OP to get domain back is probably to buy from new owner which is probably not an option.
It's just a domain mate. No worries.

I have options that I'm happier with. Even if they are a winner in this case and even if I'm wrong I still find their policy "silly" if I may say. So there's no coming back and trust me they lost more than I did. I hope they can improve anyway.

Last edited:
•••
Learn your lesson mate. Listen to @Daniel Owens he is a seasoned domain name investor of the highest calibre and one of the most respectworthy members in the history on Namepros. He doesn't fish for fun he fries them too in grade a fat. Renew your domain names on time. Move on.

•••
It's just a domain mate. No worries.

I have options that I'm happier with. Even if they are a winner in this case and even if I'm wrong I still find their policy "silly" if I may say. So there's no coming back and trust me they lost more than I did. I hope they can improve anyway.
What's interesting is how each register differs in policy. Dynadot auctions them off too but when the domain is won they contact the person who let it expire and give them 3 days to renew, but epik just gives them to new buyer. The real thing that makes me wonder is why you didn't get a notice about a backorder but you surely got tons of emails saying to renew

•••
•••
Learn your lesson mate. Listen to @Daniel Owens he is a seasoned domain name investor of the highest calibre and one of the most respectworthy members in the history on Namepros. He doesn't fish for fun he fries them too in grade a fat. Renew your domain names on time. Move on.
Thanks, for the support Mr. redemo and I hope we have also supported the OP. It's his choice to leave epik or not, I just advise he read policy at new register before moving their or contact the register if it's not clear to make sure he has plenty of time to renew late. Personally, I renew most of my domains early or if not I sell them before expiry. I do understand the steep renewal of .co at $25 probably reason for possible delay in renewal. Also, when it said in most cases after 2 months it can be recovered you probably should have contacted epik to double check and ask also if their was a recovery fee which apparently their is not you just can lose domain after about 2 weeks past expiry.

•••
Quick comment here:

- Our policies are published and reasonable. We do have the ability to provide extended grace periods for most TLDs -- as much as 35 days. Usually the people who need that much grace period have larger issues which is why this is handled on a consultative basis.

- Earlier today, Fadi did also reach out to me for an intervention. I replied to him, while on vacation, within an hour and was working towards giving him a remedy that also positions him to succeed at Epik. Unfortunately, he chose not to wait for my reply and then posted a misguided post with a click-bait title. Pity.

- Unfortunately, in light of the inflammatory tone of this NamePros thread, restoring the domain is not going to be an option as we don't bow down to thuggery. That said, we do routinely provide a hand up, and even a hand out, to people in distress and who engage with humility rather than entitlement.

As for remedy, here is what we'll do. The domain backorder has been canceled. The domain is now in liquidation and anyone can bid for it:

http://nameliquidate.com/cashout.co

Half of the proceeds will go to Fadi. The other half will go to support orphans in Pakistan:

https://www.lifefunder.com/orphans

This is part of a larger empowerment project we have been incubating called Orphans.com. We are helping the orphanage to buy a new building.

•••
Thanks, for the support Mr. redemo and I hope we have also supported the OP. It's his choice to leave epik or not, I just advise he read policy at new register before moving their or contact the register if it's not clear to make sure he has plenty of time to renew late. Personally, I renew most of my domains early or if not I sell them before expiry. I do understand the steep renewal of .co at $25 probably reason for possible delay in renewal. Also, when it said in most cases after 2 months it can be recovered you probably should have contacted epik to double check and ask also if their was a recovery fee which apparently their is not you just can lose domain after about 2 weeks past expiry.
Still think it's a fishy thread title.

•••
I see the domain was cashout.co interesting domain, it's nice but nothing to lose sleep over, I personally would have contacted ROB (wait you did or maybe wait for reply) before posting this he is a good guy of high moral fiber and might have done something, it's a shame they can't issue you account credit for a different domain or something. However, I think it was more the OP fault than epik but that is my personal opinion and I still feel bad you lost it.

Last edited:
•••
I told you not to write fishy thread titles. Eel be more humble next time.

•••
domains may be recoverable for up to a total of 69 days after the expiration date.
I think the term I bolded is important. It is not that all TLDs can be recovered that long, I think.

•••
I think the term I bolded is important. It is not that all TLDs can be recovered that long, I think.
May or Most is similar to usually but is different than always.

•••
@Rob Monster I love you so much and admire your orphan project, I think I'm a little strapped to buy that but it is good the $'s is going for a good cause and half to OP is pretty fair as you will probably get more for it then if he tried to sell it. Also what's this reverse auction thing, does it mean price is reduced daily? If so he can get it back cheaper then about 1K?

•••
Quick comment here:

- Our policies are published and reasonable. We do have the ability to provide extended grace periods for most TLDs -- as much as 35 days. Usually the people who need that much grace period have larger issues which is why this is handled on a consultative basis.

- Earlier today, Fadi did also reach out to me for an intervention. I replied to him, while on vacation, within an hour and was working towards giving him a remedy that also positions him to succeed at Epik. Unfortunately, he chose not to wait for my reply and then posted a misguided post with a click-bait title. Pity.

- Unfortunately, in light of the inflammatory tone of this NamePros thread, restoring the domain is not going to be an option as we don't bow down to thuggery. That said, we do routinely provide a hand up, and even a hand out, to people in distress and who engage with humility rather than entitlement.

As for remedy, here is what we'll do. The domain backorder has been canceled. The domain is now in liquidation and anyone can bid for it:

http://nameliquidate.com/cashout.co

Half of the proceeds will go to Fadi. The other half will go to support orphans in Pakistan:

https://www.lifefunder.com/orphans

This is part of a larger empowerment project we have been incubating called Orphans.com. We are helping the orphanage to buy a new building.

Wow, Goodluck with the sale!

Just a quick reply to the points stated here and to clarify my position a bit more.

It's true that I forwarded the email that I received from Epik Support which I shared above to Rob. I questioned about the matter and was having a chat with their support at the same time.

To be honest I didn't accept the fact that Epik gave the domain to someone else, That unclear backorder process that cannot be found anywhere on the site or terms of service and the live chat support suggesting me to Make an offer on the domain as a "resolution" to what happened.

This resulted in a bit of anger especially as the support failed to explain the unclear backorder process. That's why I made the title like that and I stand back on that statement and apologize.

I still stand on my points and don't like what happened and still not finding good answers. If that process is clarified, I think it's good for the community as we can see some people here not happy with the policy and probably no one knew about this backorder process earlier than today.

I also think that revealing the domain in question and deciding what to do with it isn't really a remedy and it doesn't make you a hero. But I just think and the ball is in your court.

Peace.

•••
@Rob Monster I love you so much and admire your orphan project, I think I'm a little strapped to buy that but it is good the $'s is going for a good cause and half to OP is pretty fair as you will probably get more for it then if he tried to sell it. Also what's this reverse auction thing, does it mean price is reduced daily? If so he can get it back cheaper then about 1K?

Looking for the lemonade knowing that Romans 8:28 is in effect.

The remedy seemed as close to even-handed as possible.

As for NameLiquidate, it is a reverse auction - the price bottoms at just $9 and the domain is already renewed.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back