IT.COM

AutoRenewPeriod at Epik.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I have a .com domain name at epik which I wanted to transfer-out but it is not present in my account and when I contacted through chat support I was told it has passed autoRenewPeriod or renewal grace period of 15 days after expiry so I can neither renew it at normal price nor I can transfer it out.

I did not know about that as I have very few .coms with them in the past and also I thought industry standard is 30 days. So is this a new thing or they always had this 15 days renewal grace period after domain expiration?

Thanks in advance.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I have a .com domain name at epik which I wanted to transfer-out but it is not present in my account and when I contacted through chat support I was told it has passed autoRenewPeriod or renewal grace period of 15 days after expiry so I can neither renew it at normal price nor I can transfer it out.

I did not know about that as I have very few .coms with them in the past and also I thought industry standard is 30 days. So is this a new thing or they always had this 15 days renewal grace period after domain expiration?

Thanks in advance.

Our standard grace period is 15 days -- it has always been. Upon request, we can extend it out to as much as day 35.

As for our expiry stream:

We send some TLDs to Snapnames on Day 36.

On day 44, we send to our own "Daily Diamonds" reverse auction with prices dropping to as low as $9:

https://marketplace.epik.com/daily-diamonds

Details on Expired domain policy are here:

https://www.epik.com/support/faq/expired-registration-recovery-policy/

Two things for anyone having trouble with covering renewal fees:

1. Contact us if you need a special arrangement. We have helped folks save entire portfolios from expiry by moving mutually agreed names into co-managed escrow accounts where we help sell off domains.

2. We also do domain loans -- usually interest-free for up to 1 year. For a loan, the domain should be on Epik.com at the start of the loan. Apply here.

For anyone who does not know the auto-renew economics, the registrar keeps those funds on deposit at the registry, e.g. in our case, it is many hundreds of thousands of dollars tied up in auto-renew and accrued rebate deposits at Verisign alone.

Sometimes this can be a challenge, e.g. Neustar .CO domains registered at $0.99 in July 2019, come up for $20 auto-renew in July 2020. This is about $600,000 in auto-renewal based on on our July .CO registrations alone. It is what you might call a "Pig in a python".

And now you know!

•••
On day 44, we send to our own "Daily Diamonds" reverse auction with prices dropping to as low as $9:
Just to clarify: if I grab a name from there, is it 100% purchase then (since it is operated by Epik and gets transitioned into my account), or it can still be beaten by another dropcatch service somehow?

•••
Thanks for the reply @Rob Monster So to whom should I contact to extend the grace period?

•••
Just to clarify: if I grab a name from there, is it 100% purchase then (since it is operated by Epik and gets transitioned into my account), or it can still be beaten by another dropcatch service somehow?

Daily Diamonds is our private expiry stream -- that inventory is visible only at Epik, and can't be sniped. The only catch is that for the next 30 days, during what would have been the redemption period where a former registrant can ask to recover the domain. So, as a matter of caution, I would allow 30 days to elapse before shouting from the rooftops that you got some smoking deal on a daily diamond domain just in case the former registrant realizes their oversight even after 7 renewal notices.

•••
Thanks for the reply @Rob Monster So to whom should I contact to extend the grace period?

PM @epik or me and we'll discuss your portfolio and see what makes sense for your unique situation and objectives. We have a lot more tools in the toolbox than most people realize.

•••
Our standard grace period is 15 days -- it has always been. Upon request, we can extend it out to as much as day 35.

Hey Rob,

Can this be done through support or does it need to go through the NamePros channels, Makise, etc.

Does this need to be requested -before- it hits day 15? Mine is a bit out.

Thank you.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back