Dynadot

This is How I lost my Domain Name at Epik.com

NameSilo
Watch

Fadi H

BrandNameSolutions.comTop Member
Impact
Hello everyone,

I've been closing my eyes on many things that I didn't like on Epik.com Registrar. But today is the final day and I'm transferring all my domains from there for a Never comeback.

So what happened is that I had a .CO domain hosted at Epik, Which Expired on December 11th 2021. I did not renew it or transfer it as I've been busy and thought I still have time as I know that .CO domains have a 40 day grace period and that's by the registry. And during that grace period domains are transferable and renewable.

Yesterday I logged in to my account and didn't find the domain, So I clicked the blue button and the support agent said that they will look into the matter and reach back to me later.

Today I received the following response :

"Hello Fadi,

The domain expired on December 11, 2021 and the grace renewal period is 15 days which means that the last day that you have to renew your domain was on December 26, 2021. Since renewal did not take place, and someone had a backorder on your domain, the backorder was fulfilled.

We may be able to get in contact with the new owner to help you get your domain back but you might need to provide your best offer so we can send it to our sales team.

Looking forward hearing from you. "

So I clicked back the blue button questioning about that backorder story and I got the following response :

"Thank you for patiently waiting. I have confirmed with our tech team that domain renewals of 40 day grace period is only applicable for domains without back order. You will only get 15 day grace period if there is a backorder for your domain."

But in fact if you visit Epik.com You will not find this backorder story anywhere on the site.

They referred to this link which doesn't help :

https://www.epik.com/support/faq/expired-registration-recovery-policy/

1640816140482.png

I'm not satisfied with their answers at all and this is the first time I hear of this 15 day back-order story and it's not even mentioned anywhere on the site.

You can see it clearly "After the discretionary grace period the customer's domain is deleted from their account. And deleted domains may be recoverable for up to a total of 69 days after the expiration date.

Where is the 15 day backorder story?

Your opinions matter, Do you think what they did is right?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You’re not part of the 1% @Rob Monster has chosen for special renewal privileges. They allowed mobilewallet.com to be renewed well after 16 days and flushed my BO down the drain.

This isn’t a company to do business with epik.com

•••
This is not new and I have to wonder what rock you are living under to not know that Epik has a short renewal period unless you request a longer one. Everyone knows that.

Registrars are allowed to have whatever grace renewal they want. Look it up, no one stole anything from you. You didn’t renew in time.

The incindiary title makes you look bad not Epik. Renew your domains on time next time and know your registrars grace renewal at all times.

•••
You let your domain expire. They have a 15-day grace period and you failed to renew the domain within that time.

For you to say that they “stole” your domain name just isn’t true. I understand that it sucks to lose your name, but you are responsible for renewing your own domains and if you don’t do that you can’t really blame anyone but yourself.

•••
This is not new and I have to wonder what rock you are living under to not know that Epik has a short renewal period unless you request a longer one. Everyone knows that.

Registrars are allowed to have whatever grace renewal they want. Look it up, no one stole anything from you. You didn’t renew in time.

The incindiary title makes you look bad not Epik. Renew your domains on time next time and know your registrars grace renewal at all times.
You let your domain expire. They have a 15-day grace period and you failed to renew the domain within that time.

For you to say that they “stole” your domain name just isn’t true. I understand that it sucks to lose your name, but you are responsible for renewing your own domains and if you don’t do that you can’t really blame anyone but yourself.

Yes I didn't renew in time and they have a 15-day grace period that's clear. But what comes after the grace period? The domain gets deleted from my account and still under Epik control and can be recoverable for a higher fee. Nothing mentioned about someone could backorder and win the domain after 15 days of expiration. If you can see it anywhere on Epik, Show me.

•••
Yes I didn't renew in time and they have a 15-day grace period that's clear. But what comes after the grace period? The domain gets deleted from my account and still under Epik control and can be recoverable for a higher fee. Nothing mentioned about someone could backorder and win the domain after 15 days of expiration. If you can see it anywhere on Epik, Show me.
I assume you were flat broke and couldn't afford to renew it. You might have been able to find a register that would let you transfer-in super cheap but you would probably need to get the auth. code before expiry. This should serve as a lesson learned to put renewal on a credit card and pay it off the next month when you get cash again. Just my thoughts.

•••
what was the domain name?

•••
I hope they renew it for you

•••
How many days over the 15 did you wait Is the question. After the grace renewal or at some point another person had a backorder for it. They don’t hold it forever obviously.

Kinda like Keith above who is still pissed he didn’t get a domain from a late renewing registrant like you.

•••
I hope they renew it for you
Bro, its not dropped. Someone had it on backorder and as per the rules after 15 days, the domain will continue to stay expired or anyone with BackOrder will get it.

they cant renew it.

Last edited:
•••
Bro, its not dropped. Someone had it on backorder and as per the rules after 15 days, the domain will continue to stay expired or anyone with BackOrder will get it.

they cant renew it.
If you go to local fry of register you might find discount.

•••
If you go to local fry of register you might find discount.
Sorry, I dont understand what you're saying. not sure if it is a joke or what?

•••
Sorry, I dont understand what you're saying. not sure if it is a joke or what?
Gaining register may offer discount if pushed-out in time via auth. code.

•••
Gaining register may offer discount if pushed-out in time via auth. code.
your response was out of context to my response -_-. it should be obvious that transferring domains between registrars means you can save a dollar or two on .com domains - not sure about .co

•••
your response was out of context to my response -_-. it should be obvious that transferring domains between registrars means you can save a dollar or two on .com domains - not sure about .co
Yeah, but the fry was not. I mean if you fry-out a domain to gaining register then you might get it for a buck or two. Save auth. code to computer transfer-out sooner. Now domain owner is new frier so it's too late for him to eat the domain back.

•••

You agree (epik.com/registration)... and after, the rest (backorder) is their business.

Screen Shot 2021-12-30 at 00.25.36.png

Regards

Last edited:
•••
Yeah, but the fry was not. I mean if you fry-out a domain to gaining register then you might get it for a buck or two. Save auth. code to computer transfer-out sooner. Now domain owner is new frier so it's too late for him to eat the domain back.
Did google translate this correctly it seems close no?

•••
Also Epik sends multiple emails (like all registrars) as grace renewal approaches and a final warning when they are about to remove it from your account. You chose to ignore those emails apparently.

Last edited:
•••
Also Epik sends multiple emails (like all registrars) as grace renewal approaches and a final warning when they are about to remove it from your account. You chose to ignore those emails apparently.
Also if he renew late I think domain is not stolen, it's deleted or dropped to fry epik over this is crazy.

•••
How many days over the 15 did you wait Is the question. After the grace renewal or at some point another person had a backorder for it.
The domain was Expired on Dec 11. They fulfilled the backorder on Dec 26 and I reached out to them regarding the matter yesterday.
They don’t hold it forever obviously.
Of course, Let me remind you what should happen after the 15-day grace period as to what's stated at Epik.

"After the discretionary grace period the customer’s domain is deleted from their account. In most cases, deleted domains may be recoverable for up to a total of 69 days after the expiration date. In the case, where the domain are still eligible to be recovered a restoration fee is assessed."

We are talking about 69 days After December 11th 2021.

As to what's stated at Epik, The scenario that should've happened is that the domain would get deleted from my account but still held at Epik and recoverable.

They've given the domain to someone else who placed a back-order, This process isn't mentioned anywhere and you may refer to their site.

the rest (backorder) is their business.

I think I've already answered this, And their business is also my business as a customer and this backorder process should be clearly stated on their terms. I've only heard of this through their email response that I received today and their live chat.

•••
The domain was Expired on Dec 11. They fulfilled the backorder on Dec 26 and I reached out to them regarding the matter yesterday.

Of course, Let me remind you what should happen after the 15-day grace period as to what's stated at Epik.

"After the discretionary grace period the customer’s domain is deleted from their account. In most cases, deleted domains may be recoverable for up to a total of 69 days after the expiration date. In the case, where the domain are still eligible to be recovered a restoration fee is assessed."

We are talking about 69 days After December 11th 2021.

As to what's stated at Epik, The scenario that should've happened is that the domain would get deleted from my account but still held at Epik and recoverable.

They've given the domain to someone else who placed a back-order, This process isn't mentioned anywhere and you may refer to their site.

I think I've already answered this, And their business is also my business as a customer and this backorder process should be clearly stated on their terms. I've only heard of this through their email response that I received today and their live chat.
It said, "In most cases, deleted domains may be recoverable for up to a total of 69 days after the expiration date." So that really covers their behind, notice they say 'in most cases' it can be recoverable', well most does not mean 100% of the time. So that's the loophole for them is that they said "most", if they said always or 100% of the time then you'd have a leg to walk on but the term 'most' means most of the time. So you should have read carefully.

•••
That's not the case, The issue that I'm pointing to is clear. And I don't find any good answer until this moment.

If it turns that I'm wrong, I will accept it and everyone moves on.

But my questions are still not answered, Why the domain is not held by Epik right now and they've given it to someone else who placed a backorder and why I'm not able to recover the domain even though It's stated on their site that domains can be recoverable for up to 69 days after the expiration. The domain only Expired on December 11.

Why nothing is mentioned about this backorder process after 15 days of the expiration?

What's stated is that after 15 days the domain will be deleted from my account not fully deleted and anyone can have their hands on it. What's stated is that the domain right now should be held by epik and RECOVERABLE.

•••
That's not the case, The issue that I'm pointing to is clear. And I don't find any good answer until this moment.

If it turns that I'm wrong, I will accept it and everyone moves on.

But my questions are still not answered, Why the domain is not held by Epik right now and they've given it to someone else who placed a backorder and why I'm not able to recover the domain even though It's stated on their site that domains can be recoverable for up to 69 days after the expiration. The domain only Expired on December 11.

Why nothing is mentioned about this backorder process after 15 days of the expiration?

What's stated is that after 15 days the domain will be deleted from my account not fully deleted and anyone can have their hands on it. What's stated is that the domain right now should be held by epik and RECOVERABLE.
"In most cases, deleted domains may be recoverable for up to a total of 69 days after the expiration date." They said most not always recoverable. So that is their loop hole.

Last edited:
•••
I am not really a fan of the short 15 day grace period, but that apparently is in their TOS.

To say they "stole" your domain though, is hyperbolic IMO.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
I am not really a fan of the short 15 day grace period, but that apparently that is in their TOS.

To say they "stole" your domain though, is hyperbolic IMO.

Brad
Did you see what I saw too Mr. ford that it says, "in most cases" and that that doesn't mean it can be recovered 100% of the time?

•••
Back