Dynadot

discuss There are some people list millions of other people's domain on Afternic

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

70ym

Established Member
Impact
https://www.afternic.com/gdntc1
gdntc1

https://www.afternic.com/aliyuming
aliyuming

These people list about millions of other people's domain on afternic.
When I try to list my domain, it will show that my domain already list by these people. And I need to spend 10 minutes to send them an email and wait for a week if I want to list my domain.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
@bmugford looks like you posted on Twitter and it was picked up for an article today on domaininvesting/com

Saw another article on that website from 2023 that was talking about similar issues and a comment stated that Afternic is aware of this happening.

How are @GoDaddy and Afternic continuing to get away with this? Is there no regulation on things like this?

I read on this site about other users creating Afternic accounts, trying to list the affected domains themselves and then THEM (the actual owner of the domain) having to verify ownership of the domains with Afternic because they were already listed for sale by the fraudulent sellers. Once that is successful, then the domains can be marked "not for sale" on Afternic. Is this really the only thing that can be done!?!

That would guarantee Afternic gets more users signing up just to protect their own domains from Afternic's flawed (at best, unethical at worst) system of listing domains for sale. So Afteric gets a new "customer" along with a list of all their owned and verified domains. Unbelievable!

It's like the scam websites that publish your information pubically and then demand you verify and provide even more of your info, to them, to remove your information from their website.....

•••
I received 9 emails from Afternic in the last 12 hours to "authorize your domain listings".

I did not list anything, so I have no idea what is going on with that.

All of them were for LLLL.com, many of which I have owned for well over a decade.

Brad
Similar, from Porkbun, a request to enable fast transfer for an LLLL I've never listed at Afternic.

Support from PB got back to me:

Thanks for reaching out. Afternic is a domain-reselling service where people can list their domains for sale. Unfortunately, Afternic does not require any sort of domain ownership verification for people to list their domains. Because of this, there is nothing to stop people from listing domains for sale that they don't own. The good news is that as long as you don't opt-in to fast transfer, you are at no risk of losing your domain. If you have no plans to use Afternic, we could also set your account to block Afternic Fast Transfer requests.

People literally spend their time day in day out with this crap, maybe they get lucky sometimes but what a way to live your days. Lol that PB has an option to block those requests, it must be bad.

•••
I received 9 emails from Afternic in the last 12 hours to "authorize your domain listings".

I did not list anything, so I have no idea what is going on with that.

Brad, today I've received a half dozen of the same, which is what prompted me to search this thread.

All mine are LLLL.com except one.

It appears this issue has reached a head, and at the very least, Godaddy has some explaining to do.

Thank you @tld4me for reopening this issue.

Last edited:
•••
•••
One note, I think you'll see they are from [email protected] and not Afternic per se.
True, but the email actually says -

"Authorize your participation in Afternic". So, it is clearly related to Afternic.

Brad

•••
@GoDaddy and Afternic are definitely aware of this. Looking at Afternics contact page (can't post the link as a new user) it has drop-down options for:

Request Type -> Domain Listing
Request Subtype -> Domain Listing Removal
which then gives the message:
"Please send a screenshot to [email protected] showing clear proof of ownership of the domain(s) in an account with the correct registrar of record."

The form then requests your name, e-mail address, domain name, and phone number on top of the information they want you to screenshot and send to them.

So, they are very aware of this if they took the time to make it a predefined menu selection for their contact options. Sure seems like they encourage the bad behavior by letting fraudulent sellers easily list without verification and then require multiple hoops for the actual owners to jump through to remove the fraudulent listings...

•••
Well my journey has now taken me to @DAN.COM (also owned by @GoDaddy , who would have thought?)

After reading this forum post: https: //www . namepros . com/threads/someone-attempting-to-sell-my-domain-on-dan-without-consent . 1273300/ (remove spaces)
I checked @DAN.COM to find out that it seems one seller has all of my domains listed. One seller has 2,755 domains listed. Since so many of mine are in that list, I'm guessing the seller doesn't own any of the domains they have for sale.

From others that have already been in this situation, which horrible entity of @GoDaddy do you approach so that the problem goes away on all of their sites? This medusa of a company has so many heads it is hard to know which one to cut off.

I'm surprised that @GoDaddy , @DAN.COM, and Afternic don't just list other people's domains directly without their consent, cut out the middleman... unless maybe they let this activity continue so they can feign ignorance and point blame at their "users" and wipe their hands of their extremely shady business practices. (while still collecting nice commissions on sales that do go through)

I've wasted so much brain power today analyzing this issue and all I have to show for it is anger...

Last edited:
•••
Is the owner of your listed names have chinese character symbols for username ?
@tld4me
We have given up, me and certain friend on this issue.
I could delete a domain name from dan and it would be added by someone else pdq.
Godaddy is corrupt and your competitor but they should be ashamed of their actions and beat around the bush here spoon feeding us shit, for years now.

Your logic above and statements are bang on. Thanks!

•••
If you all work with me and others and email the CEO of Godaddy with our problems - email addresses above - we might finally get some eyes on these afternic problems.

•••
I'm new to these forums and am bumping this older topic after finding many of my domain names on Afternic and GoDaddy auctions. I'm selling domains cheaply ($xx) on NameSilo and am seeing my domains listed for sale on these other platforms for more more money ($xxx). Listed by someone(s) else that doesn't own the domains. I don't even have an Afternic account.

Sorry to hear that you are having this issue with what may very well be ongoing domain front running.

I checked @DAN.COM to find out that it seems one seller has all of my domains listed. One seller has 2,755 domains listed. Since so many of mine are in that list, I'm guessing the seller doesn't own any of the domains they have for sale.
Thank you for pointing this out about Dan, which I do not use. I checked them tonight, and was deeply disappointed to find 60% of my porfolio listed there by other sellers. Most of the sellers had Chinese names-- a phenomenon that others have noted previously.

I stopped using Dan quite a while ago, due to their issues with fake listings. Supposedly they did implement verification. If so, perhaps they would need to consider whether they have a security breach allowing these rogue sellers to still do these spurious postings?

Last edited:
•••
Supposedly they did implement verification. If so, perhaps they would need to consider whether they have a security breach allowing these rogue sellers to still do these spurious postings?

It's not a breach. Verification isn't mandatory so you can list whatever domain you want.

They should make it mandatory imho but that would probably make them loose a decent number of listings.

•••
It's not a breach. Verification isn't mandatory so you can list whatever domain you want.

They should make it mandatory imho but that would probably make them loose a decent number of listings.
But is that GoDaddy's policy or Afternic and Dan? Allowing anyone to list another person's domain names?

And wouldn't that really hurt the registrants, who are actually paying their registrar for the registrations, while others do the domain front running?

Last edited:
•••
sedo you have to check a box confirming you are authorized to list. Maybe twice, I will go add a new name now.
Godaddy just list away
Big.diff
Nice to see you back @LoveCatchyDomains

Nice gig though, especially when daddy does nothing about it. I wanna see the update from them on peeps listing these BÏG shots names

•••

Squadhelp doing this and they're pretty successful in general terms.

•••
Daddy fix things. No more spoon feeding k?
Sedo makes you check off 2 boxes when listing a name. One is mls other confirms your not a lying thief. I mentioned this to Domain Automation Network eons ago but they obliviously didnt care either. Still waiting on the big news from godaddy today they said,, regarding those 4L opt ins.
IMG_9614.png

•••
But is that GoDaddy's policy or Afternic and Dan? Allowing anyone to list another person's domain names?

And wouldn't that really hurt the registrants, who are actually paying their registrar for the registrations, while others do the domain front running?

I'm not sure it's policy. They allow it though. Better said, they don't do enough to prevent it from happening. When you have hundreds of thousands fake listings you shouldn't be hiding behind a tos/policy but better your verification system. Dan was on the right track when they introduced verification and their system is quite advanced.

Not sure how GD and AN handle it currently, last time they were asking me to provide screenshots for hundreds of my domains... That's when I decided to part ways.

It sure could hurt the real registrant, end-user and ultimately the marketplace itself.

Little has changed over the years.

•••
Well, to Afternic's and Dan's credit, my issue with unauthorized listings did seem to improve for a while. The original poster on this thread really seemed to help raise attention to this important issue.

Now that I see that Dan has allowed unauthorized listings of about 2/3 of my portfolio again, it's truly raising questions about the legitimacy of their supposed verification reform efforts.
Afternic at least allows direct listing through the Dynadot registrar. This seems to be an improvement for immediate domain ownership verification with one's registrar. Unfortunately, it does not help resolve the issue of unauthorized listings for those who choose to not list with Afternic.
Little has changed over the years.

So, pehaps ultimately little has changed.

•••
Well, to Afternic's and Dan's credit, my issue with unauthorized listings did seem to improve for a while. The original poster on this thread really seemed to help raise attention to this important issue.

Now that I see that Dan has allowed unauthorized listings of about 2/3 of my portfolio again, it's truly raising questions about the legitimacy of their supposed verification reform efforts.
Afternic at least allows direct listing through the Dynadot registrar. This seems to be an improvement for immediate domain ownership verification with one's registrar. Unfortunately, it does not help resolve the issue of unauthorized listings for those who choose to not list with Afternic.

So, pehaps ultimately little has changed.

I guess so. I started auto adding txt records for all venues (also those I don't list at) which solved the problem for me.

•••
I guess so. I started auto adding txt records for all venues (also those I don't list at) which solved the problem for me.
That sounds like a great solution! Thanks for sharing it!

Last edited:
•••
The problem is you need an Afternic account to do this, correct?

It's extortion.

We have things like whois privacy so our identity and relationship is with the registrar and registry of our choosing.

@GoDaddy , @DAN.COM , Afternic essentially are forcing us to create accounts with them and tell them which domains we own and verify that we do. IF WE DON'T.... well.... then maybe they'll let someone else list them, potentially hurt your sales strategy, and potentially make some money off of your property at the same time.

Sounds great, right? Totally not CREATING a problem that then they only can solve. It's a shakedown.

They are active on these forums. Their silence to my comments speaks for itself.

With Dan.com they have an automated verification system using something such as the TXT record. HOWEVER, that is only if you want to take down someone else's listing for your domains. If someone wants to list it first, no verification is needed. THIS IS ON PURPOSE!

SCUM!

Not to mention that listings that originate on GoDaddy and Afternic are NOT removed even when you verify the domain on Dan.com. (at least not currently, looks like from reading elsewhere this may have worked in the past)

Garbage. GoDaddy is an online company with OVER $15 BILLION market cap and they can't make their own websites correctly talk to each other.

My frustration with this is very large. Talk about a need for regulation.

If you mark your domains not held with GoDaddy "not for sale" on Afternic or Dan.com, what prevents GoDaddy's brokers from contacting you if someone wants to buy any of these "not for sale" domains? Certainly does give GoDaddy a market advantage knowing all the owners of all domains....

•••
If you all work with me and others and email the CEO of Godaddy with our problems - email addresses above - we might finally get some eyes on these afternic problems.
Good luck with that. You are going the wrong route. @GoDaddy has owned Afternic since 2013. @DAN.COM was purchased by them in 2022. You don't think the CEO that's been there since 2019 knows how they conduct their business?

Regulators need to put a stop to this.

Anyone know which government agency handles business practices like this? Is it the FTC?

•••
Is the owner of your listed names have chinese character symbols for username ?
@tld4me
We have given up, me and certain friend on this issue.
I could delete a domain name from dan and it would be added by someone else pdq.
Godaddy is corrupt and your competitor but they should be ashamed of their actions and beat around the bush here spoon feeding us shit, for years now.

Your logic above and statements are bang on. Thanks!
No chinese characters in the name for my particular case. English alphanumeric characters for the username of the fraudlent seller.

•••

You are correct.

It's extortion.

I don't mind needing the account, I do mind having to go through some additional hoops merely trying to prevent them from flogging my assets.

It's no biggie when automated but most domainers don't have that luxury I assume.

Biggest security issue is their fast transfer. It only takes one unintended approval to steal your domain.

Dan was on the right track before GD acquired them. Generally speaking, domain sales venues move slow and are quite outdated/not up to speed.

•••

Adding a txt verification involves using one's own registrar. It can added temporarily for the purposes of initial verification.

If someone uses the direct Afternic listing through their own regstrar, such as Dynadot, it should be completely unnecessary to do removal of unauthorized listings. For GoDaddy auctions or Dan, a verified Afternic custmer needs reassurance that these fraudulent listings are not tolerated and are automatically removed.

Last edited:
•••
Adding a txt verification involves using one's own registrar. It can added temporarily for the purposes of initial verification.

You really shouldn't be using your registrar's DNS.

It's like sales venues... Why do you think you pay less commission when you're using their DNS ?

It's might be convenient, granted.

However: Data, data and control.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back