Dynadot

discuss There are some people list millions of other people's domain on Afternic

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

70ym

Established Member
Impact
https://www.afternic.com/gdntc1
gdntc1

https://www.afternic.com/aliyuming
aliyuming

These people list about millions of other people's domain on afternic.
When I try to list my domain, it will show that my domain already list by these people. And I need to spend 10 minutes to send them an email and wait for a week if I want to list my domain.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
They're both pretty weak when it comes to automatically purging old listings. It's ironic considering how much tracking & monitoring they do behind the scenes.
So, this company could afford big bucks to buy a competitor, Dan, but not spend the money to purge the database of old listings? Not an encouraging sign.

That's why the workaround is so ridiculously useful.
Yes, thanks for the instructions.
The underlying issue is that GoDaddy can purge it's own listings, if they put the technical support service to appropriate use.

How quickly do you think they would act, if they learned that former GD customers were listing formerly-owned GD domains elsewhere? Do you think this company would simply shrug their shoulders and ignore it? Or take their time to "eventually" announce a fix?

Let's say, unknown to you, GoDaddy lists domains of yours based on "ghosts of domain auctions past." A potential buyer comes along and puts a bid in. OK, if you own the domain, perhaps nothing will happen since they really can't sell it. But, the point is that nothing may happen, because the would-be buyer might not even get a response? Or might instead be redirected to a GD Broker? Or, even if they soon find your actual listing elsewhere, they aren't really interested, because they were given a first impression that they might be able to get it for much cheaper than that? Maybe $20 minimum?

The simple fact is that they need to purge they listings, and rectify current ones. This is a simple plea for them to act responsibly for former as well as present customers.

•••
So, this company could afford big bucks to buy a competitor, Dan, but not spend the money to purge the database of old listings? Not an encouraging sign.

Yes, thanks for the instructions.
The underlying issue is that GoDaddy can purge it's own listings, if they put the technical support service to appropriate use.

How quickly do you think they would act, if they learned that former GD customers were listing formerly-owned GD domains elsewhere? Do you think this company would simply shrug their shoulders and ignore it? Or take their time to "eventually" announce a fix?

Let's say, unknown to you, GoDaddy lists domains of yours based on "ghosts of domain auctions past." A potential buyer comes along and puts a bid in. OK, if you own the domain, perhaps nothing will happen since they really can't sell it. But, the point is that nothing may happen, because the would-be buyer might not even get a response? Or might instead be redirected to a GD Broker? Or, even if they soon find your actual listing elsewhere, they aren't really interested, because they were given a first impression that they might be able to get it for much cheaper than that? Maybe $20 minimum?

The simple fact is that they need to purge they listings, and rectify current ones. This is a simple plea for them to act responsibly for former as well as present customers.

There's a lot they should be doing as well as a lot they shouldn't be doing and that's all I can say about that.

•••
There's a lot they should be doing as well as a lot they shouldn't be doing and that's all I can say about that.

Well, and what is not reassuring is that, despite removing all my domains from Afternic/Dan/GoDaddy, six domains have now showed up again in my registrar account as being Fast Transfer!!! Again, folks, not just once.

So, do they have some serious security problem? Is their Fast Transfer system a risk to finding your portfolio domains disappearing without notice?

Note that I had asked the registrar to remove all the Fast Transfer before, AGAIN when I had no listings whatsoever to my knowledge with the GoDaddy/Aftenic system. They were removed. Now they have showed up again despite no actions on my part related to their system.

Could this be because GoDaddy/Afternic has actually been hacked? That someone is manipulating the Fast Transfer system???

•••
Well, and what is not reassuring is that, despite removing all my domains from Afternic/Dan/GoDaddy, six domains have now showed up again in my registrar account as being Fast Transfer!!! Again, folks, not just once.

So, do they have some serious security problem? Is their Fast Transfer system a risk to finding your portfolio domains disappearing without notice?

Note that I had asked the registrar to remove all the Fast Transfer before, AGAIN when I had no listings whatsoever to my knowledge with the GoDaddy/Aftenic system. They were removed. Now they have showed up again despite no actions on my part related to their system.

Could this be because GoDaddy/Afternic has actually been hacked? That someone is manipulating the Fast Transfer system???
It's really hard to say, when both are in what appear to be permanent beta mode.
If you want to PM a couple of examples, I'll certainly take a look.

Edit: (Just the domains, no screenshots or anything.)

Last edited:
•••
It's really hard to say, when both are in what appear to be permanent beta mode.
If you want to PM a couple of examples, I'll certainly take a look.
Thank you for the kind offer to help sort this out. Any help would be appreciated at this point.

I'll list them here, and see if you or anyone can figure this out, including GD and @James Iles. For heaven sake, the registrar already removed the Fast Transfer before, so why does this recur despite the lack of any listings related to the GD/AN/DAN/UNI etc system!

Since the ghosts of Fast Transfer past seems to keep recurring, perhaps technical support needs to try an exorcism?!

The FT is now seen on:

CandlelightMemories.com
CandlelightMemory.com
CandlelightMoments.com
DoctorMatchMaker.com
HotDogBudgetCaviarDreams.com
TheTrolleyConductor.com

Last edited:
•••
Thank you for the kind offer to help sort this out. Any help would be appreciated at this point.

I'll list them here, and see if you or anyone can figure this out, including GD and @James Iles. For heaven sake, the registrar already removed the Fast Transfer before, so why does this recur despite the lack of any listings related to the GD/AN/DAN/UNI etc system!

Since the ghosts of Fast Transfer past seems to keep recurring, perhaps technical support needs to try an exorcism?!

The FT is now seen on:

CandlelightMemories.com
CandlelightMemory.com
CandlelightMoments.com
DoctorMatchMaker.com
HotDogBudgetCaviarDreams.com
TheTrolleyConductor.com
Is it possible they're opted-in at Sedo?

•••
Is it possible they're opted-in at Sedo?
The Fast Transfer did show up after I had changed the NameServers from pointing to the Namecheap marketplace to the sl1/sl2 sedo servers. The nameserver changes were performed on much of my portfolio. Only these six showed the FT shortly after the change.

There was no opt-in at Sedo that I did for any of the domains.

Note that all the domains in question are registered at Namecheap registrar, not GoDaddy. And Namecheap is not fully integrated with MSL premium, so none of the domains are under the MLS premium services.

Last edited:
•••
The Fast Transfer did show up after I had changed the NameServers from pointing to the Namecheap marketplace to the sl1/sl2 sedo servers. The nameserver changes were performed on much of my portfolio. Only these six showed the FT shortly after the change.

There was no special opt-in at Sedo that I did for any of the domains.

Note that all the domains in question are registered at Namecheap registrar, not GoDaddy. And Namecheap is not fully integrated with MSL premium, so none of the domains are under the MLS premium services.

I believe it may be the SedoMLS feed.

What's the Promo Level setting for the domains in your SedoMLS Premium Promotion page?

•••
I believe it may be the SedoMLS feed.

What's the Promo Level setting for the domains in your SedoMLS Premium Promotion page?
I double checked. There is absolutely no Sedo MLS premium set. It is only Sedo Basic. And I specifically wouldn't want MLS premium anyhow, given my what I thought were former experiences with the Afternic FT.

Is Sedo now part of the Afternic FT system?

•••
I double checked. There is absolutely no Sedo MLS premium set. It is only Sedo Basic. And I specifically wouldn't want MLS premium anyhow, given my what I thought were former experiences with the Afternic FT.

Is Sedo now part of the Afternic FT system?

Sedo isn’t part of these Afternic FT system.
However, the majority of the partners, utilize both Sedo and Afternic.

I tested a couple of examples provided and will test more later.

I checked a few that are Afternic only and didn’t see anything listed.

When I checked Epik, a Sedo only network and they were listed.

When I checked Domaintools, I was directed to the Sedo listing.

I checked UNI, because they never actually remove anything listing related and they weren’t listed.

Since they’re promoting the distribution network, I checked Dan as well and didn’t see anything.

Note: Given they’re at price point favored by unauthorized individuals who upload tens of thousands of domains they don’t own to Dan on a regular basis, I recommend keeping them listed there.
You don’t have to price them, just set price request or something to prevent anyone else from listing them.
(I removed all of mine and within a few days, I discovered at least a dozen had already been re-listed by a couple different sellers.)

It could just be NameCheap.

The process is different with each registrar.

I won’t name the registrar, but I’ve transferred Fast Transfer eligible & active domains from one registrar to another and had it FT active within minutes after transferring.

You mentioned earlier you’re seeing FT at your registrar.

I don’t have any domains at NameCheap, so I’m not familiar with it’s FT process.
Is it a button?

•••
I checked a few that are Afternic only and didn’t see anything listed.
Thanks for the thorough check, and taking all the extra time to try to sort out the issue here. You bring up some good questions, which I'll get to in another post.

Now, as an immediate issue, I did recheck to see if any domains again were listed with Afternic. TheTrolleyConductor.com has now has apparently been relisted, with a $20 minimum! UNBELIEVABLE! So, I wonder if, by your checking through one of the other registrars, that somehow that triggered AFTERNIC/GODADDY to automatically relist this domain, without any permission from my end. None of the other five however have shown up there at this point.

There is very clearly something seriously wrong in their system. Perhaps there is a technical glitch, where even former Afternic Fast Transfer listings get reactivated. This is not good. So, basically, there may be an ongoing security issue for any domain that was ever previously on Afternic Fast Transfer???

Last edited:
•••
Note: Given they’re at price point favored by unauthorized individuals who upload tens of thousands of domains they don’t own to Dan on a regular basis, I recommend keeping them listed there.
You don’t have to price them, just set price request or something to prevent anyone else from listing them.
(I removed all of mine and within a few days, I discovered at least a dozen had already been re-listed by a couple different sellers.)

Thanks for checking Dan. They were the first marketplace I gave up on, due to the fake listings being such a recurrent problem. I'm glad to hear that they didn't show up there again.

Yes, I understand the logic of doing the listings to prevent fake listings, but prefer not to go there.
It could just be NameCheap.

The process is different with each registrar.

I won’t name the registrar, but I’ve transferred Fast Transfer eligible & active domains from one registrar to another and had it FT active within minutes after transferring.
Yes, it is possible that there could be some security or hacking issues with Namecheap as well.

That's disturbing though what happened to you with your domain transfers. Since I'm considering at least some transfers to a new registrar, could you kindly PM the name of that one. I would like to make sure that the registrar is one without the FT ongoing issues.
You mentioned earlier you’re seeing FT at your registrar.

I don’t have any domains at NameCheap, so I’m not familiar with it’s FT process.
Is it a button?

Please see the attachments for the current Namecheap FT listing and the Afternic listing. Note that I did confirm that no names show up at this point in Afternic in my portfolio. TheTrolleyConductor.com simply shows up when I search for it in using their main page search engine.
Curious and very unsettling...

Attachments

• AfternicFakeTheTrolleyConductor2.PNG
    AfternicFakeTheTrolleyConductor2.PNG
    7.1 KB · Views: 32
  • TrolleyConductorFastTransfer.PNG
    TrolleyConductorFastTransfer.PNG
    8 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
•••
Thanks for the thorough check, and taking all the extra time to try to sort out the issue here. You bring up some good questions, which I'll get to in another post.

Now, as an immediate issue, I did recheck to see if any domains again were listed with Afternic. TheTrolleyConductor.com has now has apparently been relisted, with a $20 minimum! UNBELIEVABLE! So, I wonder if, by your checking through one of the other registrars, that somehow that triggered AFTERNIC/GODADDY to automatically relist this domain, without any permission from my end. None of the other five however have shown up there at this point.

There is very clearly something seriously wrong in their system. Perhaps there is a technical glitch, where even former Afternic Fast Transfer listings get reactivated. This is not good. So, basically, there may be an ongoing security issue for any domain that was ever previously on Afternic Fast Transfer???

Ok, I think I have a pretty good idea of what's happening.
Upon re-checking the example domains you provided as well as a few you didn't and it looks like several more of your were also listed with a $20 minimum offer through Afternic within the past couple of days. (Going by the Godaddy auction time remaining.)
I'm sorry to say, but I believe it's a rinse & repeat of what they've been doing at Dan.

•••
Thanks for checking Dan. They were the first marketplace I gave up on, due to the fake listings being such a recurrent problem. I'm glad to hear that they didn't show up there again.

Yes, I understand the logic of doing the listings to prevent fake listings, but prefer not to go there.

Understood.

Please see the attachments for the current Namecheap FT listing and the Afternic listing. Note that I did confirm that no names show up at this point in Afternic in my portfolio. TheTrolleyConductor.com simply shows up when I search for it in using their main page search engine.
Curious and very unsettling...

It's odd that it shows the domain is FT active without a price at Afternic or SedoMLS fully opted-in.

•••
Ok, I think I have a pretty good idea of what's happening.
Upon re-checking the example domains you provided as well as a few you didn't and it looks like several more of your were also listed with a $20 minimum offer through Afternic within the past couple of days. (Going by the Godaddy auction time remaining.)
I'm sorry to say, but I believe it's a rinse & repeat of what they've been doing at Dan.
Oh brother, so we now have a "rinse and repeat" domain relisting issue.

THANK YOU, SO MUCH, for taking the extra time to recheck this. So really, it is futile trying to remove the listings, because they show up again anyhow?! Yes, I did check much of my portfolio, and now three additional listings have shown up unexpectedly on Afternic since yesterday. Oh, my....

So, Afternic, please kindly also remove:

StopAnnoyingMe.com
StartLovingMe.com
TrolleyConductor.com

These were not listed by me, and have the $20 minimum bid. And please consider immediately banning the individual doing these unauthorized and very unwelcomed new listings.

This, my fellow Namepros members, is an example of the power of this forum. Thanks to @411domains , I was alerted to more fake listings now showing up at Afternic.

Last edited:
•••
As an update, my registrar did finally manage to purge the unexpected "Fast Transfer" recurrent domain listings.
Afternic support also eventually removed the latest fake listings, but claimed that they were old listings. Unfortunately, if that is what their security team is reporting, that is inaccurate. All the listings had been completely removed from their system, and some still seem to keep showing up.

And, I did uncover, on a quick check of several different keywords, that about 20% of their listings were not even registered domains. So, the sellers are apparently trying to get approximately 10-100x's of time more for domains that only the registry owns, not them.

Shame on Afternic, especially after the recent big hack of GoDaddy, to be allowing this continued, openly fraudulent activity, for possibly even 1/5 of the listings on their platform!

Last edited:
•••
So why are the Afternic users named in the thread still active? This issue was reported a long time ago and still they get to keep their accounts.

•••
So why are the Afternic users named in the thread still active? This issue was reported a long time ago and still they get to keep their accounts.
Perhaps because overall Afternic seemed to be a good company, at least in the past?

They do, however, really seem to be missing the ball on this particular problem.And the fact that GoDaddy was recently hacked, to me, does not improve my confidence in dealing with a company with an ongoing, overt problem with their listings.

For myself, I might have continued using them as well, if it weren't for the recurrent unexpected "fast transfer" showing up at my registrar DESPITE ABSOLUTELY NO LISTINGS ON THE AN/GD/DAN SYSTEM. This does not appear to be a problem for others on this thread. From a security standpoint, removing myself completely from the GoDaddy/Dan/Afternic marketplaces made the most sense.

Last edited:
•••
I'm new to these forums and am bumping this older topic after finding many of my domain names on Afternic and GoDaddy auctions. I'm selling domains cheaply ($xx) on NameSilo and am seeing my domains listed for sale on these other platforms for more more money ($xxx). Listed by someone(s) else that doesn't own the domains. I don't even have an Afternic account.

Is there any new traction on ways to resolve this? I'm not interested in trying to correct this one-by-one with domains. Others have already brought up multiple valid points. Afternic/Godaddy should be verifying ownership of the domains before they are listed for sale on their platforms.

Having the actual owner trying to stop the front running is ridiculous. Very shady.... A problem that shouldn't even exist. I would think this would continue to hurt the branding of Godaddy and Afternic over time...

@James Iles any new information you can share on this?

•••
Please share these concerns with Aman Bhutani (Godaddy CEO) and his admin ((Debra).

I emailed with him the other day and he said he thought all was well with the afternic system - and welcomed further input. So, please email him with your Afternic concerns so that he knows these concerns are Widespread and not isolated.

[email protected] (catchall)
[email protected] (personal)
Debra L. Nordfors (Aman's assistant) [email protected]

•••
Someone has a script and when a name is deleted from daddy’s system they add it.
They dont fool around with sedo, they know there is consequences there.
Daddy turns a blind eye. Tag @GoDaddy thats james he doesnt participate much here anymore like joe joe styler and paul nicks

•••
I saw another thread in this forum with the similar issue. User @Leo2k gave an example of what is happening from the fraudulent sellers.

They list for a higher price, if someone buys from them, they then attempt to buy the domain from the actual legit markeplace that has the domain for sale. If successful, they keep the profit they made without actually owning anything from the start. Afternic/ @GoDaddy then gets a cut of that sale. It seems like Afternic/Godaddy have nothing to lose from this, outside of dealing with the sales that don't actually go through. In those instances, Afternic/Godaddy has to issue refunds.

Companies this large can't be this clueless. Especially when other companies already have a process in place that requires verification steps in order to list a domain for sale. I imagine Afternic/Godaddy, for the time being, are aware of these issues and choose to allow it. It must be financially rewarding and also gives a boost to their numbers of "available" domains for sale. If it wasn't rewarding to them financially, this would be fixed.

I don't have an Afternic account, and don't want one, I shouldn't have to contact their support and verify hundreds of my domains that they fraudulently have for sale. What a pile of BS. If I do spend the time trying to get them removed, I imagine they just get reposed again for sale by another new user.

This example revolves around domains that are actually for sale on a different marketplace, but there are also domains listed for sale - that aren't for sale anywhere. (I own them, they aren't for sale)

Are there any legal protections for individuals in this situation? I don't want to go to my abuser and ask them to please stop abusing me.

Last edited:
•••
I want to add, if anyone looks at this and doesn't see a problem - as in, who cares if the domains that sold, I got what I wanted for them - why does it matter if someone else got some more off the top?

One of the problems is - it creates confusion to buyers. For those that don't know any better, they don't know where and how to legitimately buy the domain they want. If things go poorly with a sale involving these individuals and fraudulent sellers, it potentially drags down the business reputation of all the parties involved. (the fraudulent seller, the companies that allow the fraudulent listings, the legitimate seller, and legitimate marketplace where the domain is actually listed for sale)

If a fraudulent sale goes bad, the buyer may be so turned off that they no longer want to attempt to own the domain.

In the long run - this can't be good for the reputation of @GoDaddy and Afternic

•••
I received 9 emails from Afternic in the last 12 hours to "authorize your domain listings".

I did not list anything, so I have no idea what is going on with that.

All of them were for LLLL.com, many of which I have owned for well over a decade.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
We definitely need a strong competitor to wipe godaddy out of the market.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back