IT.COM

discuss There are some people list millions of other people's domain on Afternic

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

70ym

Established Member
Impact
https://www.afternic.com/gdntc1
gdntc1

https://www.afternic.com/aliyuming
aliyuming

These people list about millions of other people's domain on afternic.
When I try to list my domain, it will show that my domain already list by these people. And I need to spend 10 minutes to send them an email and wait for a week if I want to list my domain.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It has been an ongoing issue. I just bugger them every now and then when I have time or feel up to it :)

I bet the problem always existed but the scale of fraudulent listings seems to be increasing over time.

I don't lose any sleep over it ( gotta watch that blood pressure 😉 ) but it's mindboggling how technically inadequate some venues are when considered to be tech companies.

That's why Dan was so refreshing. They've set the bar pretty high. No-one is following so far...

AN/GD could do with a complete rewrite. Sedo is bearable.
It's certainly frustrating that not a single suggestion here on the forum actually gets picked up by Afternic. At least I can't recall. A sharp contrast with DAN.

•••
It's certainly frustrating that not a single suggestion here on the forum actually gets picked up by Afternic. At least I can't recall. A sharp contrast with DAN.

Slap their brand on the Dan ui/backend and discontinue the old AN would be my suggestion:).

Or... Integrate dans tech with AN and discontinue Dan. Rewriting AN must me a monstrous task so option 1 would be preferred:)

•••
So has Dan actually mandated verification at this point? There was talk about using NS3 for verification purposes. Would the txt verification be better, if they haven't added this yet?

To their credit, they did at least reportedly ban the culprits doing the nefarious listings. That was something I didn't hear from Afternic.
Slap their brand on the Dan ui/backend and discontinue the old AN would be my suggestion:).

Or... Integrate dans tech with AN and discontinue Dan. Rewriting AN must me a monstrous task so option 1 would be preferred:)
Sounds like an interesting option, but do we know that they have truly eliminated the fake listing problem as well? I am glad to report that haven't found any fake listings recently, since the last reporting.

Last edited:
•••
So has Dan actually mandated verification at this point? There was talk about using NS3 for verification purposes. Would the txt verification be better, if they haven't added this yet?

No, it's not mandatory. Maybe some day. You do get a third nameserver assigned or can use a txt record. If the domain is already listed it will move from the old listing to your account automatically when you list your domain.

They actively scan (the root zones I suppose) for the usage of the third dns server as it will also automatically add domains to your account that use it, without you manually listing them.

Last edited:
•••
No, it's not mandatory. Maybe some day. You do get a third nameserver assigned or can use a txt record. If the domain is already listed it will move from the old listing to your account automatically when you list your domain.

They actively scan (the root zones I suppose) for the usage of the third dns server as it will also automatically add domains to your account that use it, without you manually listing them.
Maybe, someday after DAN makes the verification mandatory, I'd be delighted to list with them again.

If Sedo and Daaz can mandate the verifications, I'm sure DAN and Afternic can do it as well.

Last edited:
•••
It is time for Afternic to implement the TXT record verification and automatically remove from the other accounts the names.
I am spending as well weeks to list names, screenshots, excel files etc.
GD has TXT option but does not work when a name is already listed there as does not allow even to list, so actually nothing,

Sedo and DAN are very OK with TXT record as names are removed from other accounts and added

•••
It is time for Afternic to implement the TXT record verification and automatically remove from the other accounts the names.
I am spending as well weeks to list names, screenshots, excel files etc.
GD has TXT option but does not work when a name is already listed there as does not allow even to list, so actually nothing,

Sedo and DAN are very OK with TXT record as names are removed from other accounts and added
Well, on the last response I had from Afternic customer support, there appears to be no definite timeline for the implementation of more verification.

Why aren't they responsive immediately to this blatant issue?

They suggested, after removing the fake domain listings, to now list my domains there. That, of course, would prevent someone else from trying to relist them.

Please consider this analogy. You learn that someone at a bank opened an account in your name, and was writing checks now that bounced. Would that inspire you to open an account there, to try to prevent anyone else from opening one in your name?

I don't think so.

Last edited:
•••
Why not use a TXT verification process just like Sedo? shouldn't be hard

•••
Why not use a TXT verification process just like Sedo? shouldn't be hard
Thanks for emphasizing that, and having the courage to speak up about this issue. Hopefully, Afternic realizes that domain investors and buyers do care about the integrity of a marketplace.

Sedo has demonstrated success in implementing their higher level of security. For myself, I found that with listing the domains with privacy off, at least at the time of listing, there has been no need to add the txt verification. Perhaps that's something worth considering--doing even a temporary "privacy off" for the purposes of an initial bulk listing?

Verification is important, and hopefully this will become an industry standard in the near future. Hopefully GD/AN/DAN can show the same leadership in this arena, like Sedo has done.

Last edited:
•••
Frankbdschilling
This account contains buydomains and Frank Schilling domains

•••
Frankbdschilling
This account contains buydomains and Frank Schilling domains
Could you clarify this? Are you saying that they are fraudulently listed domains?

•••
They woke up to an email that said their domain had just sold and it was already transferred out because of Fast Transfer to another godaddy account.
They never listed their domain on afternic... but maybe someone else did?
It could have been previously owned by someone who listed it on Afternic, lost the name ( non- renewal etc) to someone else but never unlisted it from their Afternic account. I guess this is the scenario for the bulk of names being in accounts of those who 'don't' own them.

•••
I have privacy off. If there is ever a question, I can refer them to lookup.icann.org. Sadly, for Dan, they still insisted upon having a screenshot in the last case of the fake listing. Previously, though, they had accepted my insisting that ownership could be easily proved with the privacy off.

Truly, I am very saddened to hear that you are having such great difficulty. And truly, I hope Afternic implements stringent verification methods to prevent this in the future.
All I've ever needed for DAN was to have the txt file with my account code and then they auto deleted the other listing and added mine automatically with no intervention. It has worked like that every single time. It works the same way with SEDO. When i prep my names for listing, I add the txt files first, list at AN, Sedo, DAN in that order. Then after the domains are listed in a few minutes I change the name servers to wherever I'm sending them.

AN is the only place that I have to follow up with. Since my domains are at Godaddy, I just fire off a premade email telling them I won the domain and want to list it but can't. Usually withn 3 days, and getting faster, they have removed the old listing and I can add it. I'd rather have it work like Sedo and DAN.

I only have to send screenshots to AN when it is on a non-Godaddy service.

Why aren't you just adding DANs text record instead of sending screenshots and emails?

•••
All I've ever needed for DAN was to have the txt file with my account code and then they auto deleted the other listing and added mine automatically with no intervention. It has worked like that every single time. It works the same way with SEDO. When i prep my names for listing, I add the txt files first, list at AN, Sedo, DAN in that order. Then after the domains are listed in a few minutes I change the name servers to wherever I'm sending them.
Very nice approach, and systematic.
AN is the only place that I have to follow up with. Since my domains are at Godaddy, I just fire off a premade email telling them I won the domain and want to list it but can't. Usually withn 3 days, and getting faster, they have removed the old listing and I can add it. I'd rather have it work like Sedo and DAN.
Sounds like you have an effective strategy to get quick results. Kudos.
I only have to send screenshots to AN when it is on a non-Godaddy service.

Why aren't you just adding DANs text record instead of sending screenshots and emails?
I don't have my domains listed at DAN. They insisted that I send a screen shot to have the fake listing removed.

•••
TXT record , CNAME or additional NS are better to verify domains. Additonal NS like Dan is ideal ,especially for bulk listing verification instantly.

Or merge afternic + uniregistry into DAN only might be loved by domain investor / seller / buyers. All in One verification , One Stop Marketplace and change DAN logo with GoDaddy.

•••
TXT record , CNAME or additional NS are better to verify domains. Additonal NS like Dan is ideal ,especially for bulk listing verification instantly.

Or merge afternic + uniregistry into DAN only might be loved by domain investor / seller / buyers. All in One verification , One Stop Marketplace and change DAN logo with GoDaddy.
Probably any of these would be improvements at this point. The key likely would be having it as a standard listing requirement, rather than a purely voluntary measure.

Last edited:
•••
https://www.afternic.com/gdntc1
gdntc1

https://www.afternic.com/aliyuming
aliyuming

These people list about millions of other people's domain on afternic.
When I try to list my domain, it will show that my domain already list by these people. And I need to spend 10 minutes to send them an email and wait for a week if I want to list my domain.
so over 2 weeks later and those accounts are still active. i guess afternic is cool with listing other people's domains

•••
so over 2 weeks later and those accounts are still active. i guess afternic is cool with listing other people's domains
I send a list of some of my domains that list by these accounts to James Iles a week ago.
2 days ago James Iles said "Just confirming that all those domains should have been removed."
But my domains still list by these accounts and not been removed.
example: https://www.afternic.com/domain/1711.vip

•••
Thanks all. Domains that I was sent were highlighted to the team. I've alerted them to any outliers that may be remaining from the domains sent to me.

Obviously, this isn't a scalable or desirable solution to this -- I've mentioned before that a better solution is in the works and I'll share more when I can.

•••
I send a list of some of my domains that list by these accounts to James Iles a week ago.
2 days ago James Iles said "Just confirming that all those domains should have been removed."
But my domains still list by these accounts and not been removed.

Afternic, by its lack of response to these issues, is indicating that the company itself appears to condone these actions. Are they promoting Domain Frontrunning?! Is this part of their affiliate marketing business plan?

Perhaps these are not rogue sellers, but actual dedicated business affiliates that have been given carte blanche to do such listings?

There are customers of Afternic's no doubt reading this, and wondering why their domains aren't selling. If there are millions of these fake listings, does that help their sales on your platform?

Please, Afternic, DO BETTER.

•••
Thanks all. Domains that I was sent were highlighted to the team. I've alerted them to any outliers that may be remaining from the domains sent to me.

Obviously, this isn't a scalable or desirable solution to this -- I've mentioned before that a better solution is in the works and I'll share more when I can.
The solution is obvious, suspend accounts with fake listings. Currently all you are saying is that afternic condones fake listings and will only delete fake listings one at a time out of a fake lister's account

•••
What is even more disturbing is finding that a domain that I removed from Afternic was now being sold on GoDaddy auctions. And, indeed, when I put the domain in GoDaddy to check for whether the domain was available, the previous fake listing amount of a $20 minimum was showing up.

So, apparently, do we now have to check that even if the fake listing is removed from Afternic, that it still may be present on GoDaddy auctions anyhow? Are you trying to still allow the fraudulent listings through this venue, even after removal from Afternic???

BostonDocs.com is the domain in question. Let's see how long it takes GoDaddy customer support to rectify this one. It is not listed by me on ANY GD-related platform at this point.

GoDaddy AND Afternic, please do better.

Last edited:
•••
This is the errant listing workaround I've been using for quite awhile.

I should warn you, it is ridiculously easy.

I've been hesitant to share this workaround, because it's extremely efficient when it comes to instantly ending errant Afternic listings. (No calls, no emails, no screenshots, no BS.)

The reason for hesitating is Godaddy has a history of "phasing out" efficient tools and quite frankly, I didn't want it on their radar.

NOTE: This workaround obviously only works with Godaddy registered domains.

https://www.namepros.com/threads/go...afternic-support-needed.1294801/#post-8837784

Hopefully this helps a few of you.

•••
•••
I'm curious if there an issue with GoDaddy not purging domains that have been removed from their system by someone that previously had listed?
Since I found a domain that was being listed for the minimum $20 bid, is it possible that the issue is not a fraudulent seller, but an outdated database?

They're both pretty weak when it comes to automatically purging old listings. It's ironic considering how much tracking & monitoring they do behind the scenes.

That's why the workaround is so ridiculously useful.

I believe it has more to do with an outdated database than fraudulent sellers.

One would think by now they would have implemented a simple algorithm, much like the one Sedo uses, to detect and remove pending delete and/or unregistered domains, but for whatever reason, they haven't yet and I don't expect they will anytime soon.

It's a shame, because a simple little algorithm like that would significantly clean up the platform and probably make it run a little more efficiently.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back