Dynadot

The wild west of new .com prices... pricelist per registrar

Spaceship
Watch

alcy

Top Member
Impact
wow some u were real thrilled it's only few cents up..but lo behold as always he greedy registrars take this price hike chance to fill pockets with extra mula... thus got email from already poor priced namesilo that it's up some 3usd from sept18.... i wonder what dyna does... and sav... @namesilo

anyway I'm posting this cause it looks we all gonna get ripped off real bad by namesilo... let's hope others have some dignity left.

please post here new com prices from all registrars so its neat In one spot

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
I got an email about it from DynaDot the other day, I wanna say the email said .COM would go up to $10.35, but don't quote me on that. I did see the email and new pricing from NameSilo as well. They're a total ripoff and I won't be using them for any hand regs that's for sure!

•••
Dynadot email...

On September 1, 2023 00:00 UTC, Verisign (the .com central registry) will be increasing their prices for domain registrations, renewals, and transfers. This means that prices at Dynadot will be changing too. Please see the new prices below:

• Regular Pricing: $11.99 /year
  • Bulk Pricing: $10.45 /year
  • Super Bulk Pricing: $10.19 /year

•••
Actually, it looks like the discount programs at Dynadot and Namesilo will have nearly identical pricing.

Dynadot
Bulk Pricing: $10.45 /year
Super Bulk Pricing: $10.19 /year

Namesilo :
NEW Discount Program Pricing for .COM (active account domains)

| 0+ | 100+ | 500+ | 1000+ | 2500+ | 5000+ |

Price:
| $11.95 | $10.40 | $10.30 | $10.20 | $10.10 | $10.00 |

•••
On September 1, 2023 00:00 UTC, Verisign (the .com central registry) will be increasing their prices for domain registrations, renewals, and transfers. This means that prices at Dynadot will be changing too. Please see the new prices below:
  • Regular Pricing: $11.99 /year
  • Bulk Pricing: $10.45 /year
  • Super Bulk Pricing: $10.19 /year
Cheers
Corey

•••
Prices are also updated regularly at https://tld-list.com/tld/com ...
The biggest greed that affects the entire domaining world more than anyone else is actually coming from the main registry - Verisign - which sets the prices of .com without enough checks. Registrars want to make small profits from the margins and somewhat luckily we domainers have many options to choose from (personally I tend to reg .com "cheap" at GD and always tranfer if I renew as they jack up prices by 2x after first year). Couldn't Verisign price a virtual-only domain name at $7? Or $3.5? It surely costs them very little. Oh they just want to make $600,000,000 in net profit (public records) another year, and they can with no opposition... Food for thought guys

Last edited:
•••
@korganian,
thanks for that.

However, if we really want to get an estimate then we need to calculate how much would it cost to have 1000 domains with Namesilo to get the $10.20 pricing and that amounts to around $10k.

With Dynadot you get at that pricing tier by spending $5k if I'm not mistaken.

Still, if one has a high amount of domains then Namesilo can get even lower pricing.

•••
I received the email from namesilo today..
We have been informed that Verisign will be increasing prices for .COM domains starting on September 1, 2023. This means that, unfortunately, NameSilo will need to do the same.
From $10.95 to $13.95

Love the wording - "This means that, unfortunately, NameSilo will need to do the same."
So a 62c increase at Verisign means a $3 increase at namesilo?

Staggering.

•••
Prices are also updated regularly at https://tld-list.com/tld/com ...
The biggest greed that affects the entire domaining world more than anyone else is actually coming from the main registry - Verisign - which sets the prices of .com without enough checks. Registrars want to make small profits from the margins and somewhat luckily we domainers have many options to choose from (personally I tend to reg .com "cheap" at GD and always tranfer if I renew as they jack up prices by 2x after first year). Couldn't Verisign price a virtual-only domain name at $7? Or $3.5? It surely costs them very little. Oh they just want to make $600,000,000 in net profit (public records) another year, and they can with no opposition... Food for thought guys
It is because of Verisign's sweetheart no-bid contract with ICANN.

If the contract was put up for public bidding, there is no shortage of companies that are capable of running the registry for a small fraction of the current price.

In most cases technology is driving the price down. In Verisign's case it is the no-bid contract that is driving the price up.

Also, many registrars see this as their opportunity to gouge customers even more.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
It is because of Verisign's sweetheart no-bid contract with ICANN.

If the contract was put up for public bidding, there is no shortage of companies that are capable of running the registry for a small fraction of the current price.

In most cases technology is driving the price down. In Verisign's case it is the no-bid contract that is driving the price up.

Also, many registrars see this as their opportunity to gouge customers even more.

Brad
what can we do to prevent this from happening?

•••
what can we do to prevent this from happening?
Good question, since it is clear that ICANN does not really care much about public feedback.

They either ignore or misrepresent public comments.

The only recent time I can think of that ICANN was forced to capitulate to public feedback was in regards to the .ORG private equity takeover.

Of course, they still ignored the many thousand of comments against it and few for it, and were likely going to approve it before the California AG stepped in.

It was only then that they rejected the deal.

On Heels of AG Becerra Letter, ICANN Rejects Transfer of .Org Registry to Private Equity Firm​

https://oag.ca.gov/news/press-relea...cts-transfer-org-registry-private-equity-firm

SACRAMENTO – California Attorney General Xavier Becerra today released a statement responding to a vote by the Los Angeles-based non-profit Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) rejecting the transfer of the .org registry to private equity firm Ethos Capital. ICANN's decision came just two weeks after Attorney General Becerra sent ICANN a five-page letter, expressing concerns about the transfer.

“In America, we grant non-profit organizations favorable legal and tax treatment compared to individual Americans or for-profit enterprises because, by law, they must serve the public’s interest and must be open to public examination," said Attorney General Xavier Becerra. "More and more, that premise has come under assault as those with personal profit motives see an easy opening to exploit the special tax and legal treatment reserved for nonprofits. Yesterday, ICANN, the governing body for web domains, decided not to approve the transfer of the non-profit operator of the “.org” domain (which is used principally by the non-profit world) to a for-profit, private equity firm. ICANN’s decision restores some confidence that the non-profit community may continue to be driven by a desire to serve the public, not to make a quick buck at charitable donors’ and taxpayers’ expense.”

ICANN seems to care more about their interests than the public interest.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Verisign is closing the gap between .com and .net/.org.

For me, they're surpassing the (psychological) $10 range.

They're playing with fire here with the rise of cctlds which come at half their cost.

I have faith in .com but if they continue to increase rates at this pace at some point the scales will tip.

•••
•••
the bulk prices are bs. they dont have nothing to do with avg domainer.... well looks like dyna got pretty greedy too.. good to know ... bad to experience.. I have most names at sav... let's see what they do...

and no.. sites llike tldlist or domprice are useless here as they update live almost... and many wanna know and act on some renewals before 18th.

•••
Verisign ...

is more than .com ... having important role in this and beyond NSA ... global cyberway planner and controller under NDA.
For the ordinary business / person the .com .net price /yr... is absolutely ridiculous low ...

Regards

Last edited:
•••
For the ordinary business / person the .com .net price /yr... is absolutely ridiculous low ...

Yes. $100/2years is reasonable... Like it was back in the day.

•••
is more than .com ... having important role in this and beyond NSA ... global cyberway planner and controller under NDA.

Regards
Exactly.

These renewal increases.. we should be grateful the the dn industry is practically last bastion in inflation influence, particularly with dot-coms.

It's good to have a price comparison all the same, last I checked tld-list works fine.

•••
Mainly use Dynadot now so $9.83 goes to $10.45 on bulk pricing but soon I'll be super bulk instead of bulk as continuing to transfer in from GoDaddy so I guess $9.83 to $10.19 once that kicks in.

I have $9.35 pricing at another registrar but I haven't seen the new pricing yet.

Last edited:
•••

why don't u take vote here to see how popular your ideas is lol

•••
Im with @InternetBS
Current prices were updated in June and are (in USD) $10.99 reg, $11.99 renew or transfer. Its cheaper if you have over 100 or 500 domains.

I can buy directly in AUD though. I use them so I dont get stung for international fees. They do USD, AUD, GBP, EUR, CAD, JPY.

I just asked their customer services if there will be price updates in september and they couldn't give me a straight answer. Their answer was:
We will not be able to provide any confirmed details on this as the pricing may vary in between if the registries decide to increase or decrease prices.
But in general there will be no bulk pricing update sooner.

•••
so yea looks like dyna namesilo and prolly many or all other use verisign profit hike to get their own profit... somehow I guess they feel that's what it means... like a chance to rip us off. dyna told me regular prices 11 to 12... so 1usd... since verisign hikes 62cent I guess rest going dyna..but hey at least it's not the namesilo greed scale at 3usd or so more... they were never good..ui sucks and prices avg so far...but now nobody will go there.

•••
For the ordinary business / person the .com .net price /yr... is absolutely ridiculous low
And so it should be.

Yeh sure. When you take into account the cost of the raw materials that go into a domain name, and then transport costs from the factory to the registrar.
Then of course they have to feed the names and take them for a walk every day :xf.smile:

Last edited:
•••
I received the email from namesilo today..

From $10.95 to $13.95

Love the wording - "This means that, unfortunately, NameSilo will need to do the same."
So a 62c increase at Verisign means a $3 increase at namesilo?

Staggering.
To clarify, our primary retail pricing is increasing $3, but majority of our Discount Program pricing tiers are going up less than proportionally to the actual increase. Our main goal with this increase is to push more customers towards our Discount Program (https://www.namesilo.com/support/v2/articles/ordering/discount-program) as this allows us to reduce the transaction fees a bit and share those savings with our customers. The other reason for the higher retail increase is so that it allows us some room to maneuver with future price promotions and deals.

•••
To clarify, our primary retail pricing is increasing $3, but majority of our Discount Program pricing tiers are going up less than proportionally to the actual increase. Our main goal with this increase is to push more customers towards our Discount Program (ww.namesilo.com/support/v2/articles/ordering/discount-program[/URL]) as this allows us to reduce the transaction fees a bit and share those savings with our customers. The other reason for the higher retail increase is so that it allows us some room to maneuver with future price promotions and deals.

nobody cares for your future deals.. people want pay fair price now... u go up 3... dyna 1... that says it all
... most likely u will hold record for greediest hike for tis when everyone sets new prices.. and your excuse is some future promo or u wanting everyone to go bulk or super bulk.. do u even listen to your self say this... what u do is disgusting filthy blatant ripoff. u deserve 0 clients. gl.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back