Dynadot

.tv The .tv bigger than the Superbowl

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
This Saturday is the final of something called 'The Eurovision Song Contest'. An incredibly camp, but great fun singing contest that has been around for 60 years.

Most people outside of Europe (except Australia) have never heard of it.

But here's something funny, last years final was watched live by 195 million people around the world via TV and internet.

To put this into context, that is 25 million more people than watched last years UEFA Champions League final between Real Madrid and Athletico Madrid and a whopping 70 million more than this years Superbowl Final between the Seattle Seahawks and the New England Patriots.

When the organisers decided they wanted to offer the Song Contest via the internet on a bespoke online TV channel they decided that they needed a domain and domain extension that was understood by all in Europe.

They chose EUROVISION.tv even though they already own Eurovision.com

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thats wonderful news. When do you suppose this will translate into type-in traffic numbers sufficient to sustain an ongoing investment in .tv's?

•••
Thats wonderful news. When do you suppose this will translate into type-in traffic numbers sufficient to sustain an ongoing investment in .tv's?

Can't help with info on type-in traffic numbers - or anything to do with whether it could sustain an ongoing investment.

Similarly, can't help with how it could help: global warming, the crisis in Ukraine, Greek debt, Syrian civil war, resolving the Spratly Islands dispute or help with erectile disfunction.

…but. Can tell you it was a great laugh to watch and hundreds of thousands enjoyed Eurovision parties across Europe - however they received the broadcast - whether that was from each of the 40 countries national broadcasters or via eurovision.TV

So yes, I totally agree, it is wonderful news.

•••
Can't help with info on type-in traffic numbers - or anything to do with whether it could sustain an ongoing investment.

Similarly, can't help with how it could help: global warming, the crisis in Ukraine, Greek debt, Syrian civil war, resolving the Spratly Islands dispute or help with erectile disfunction.

…but. Can tell you it was a great laugh to watch and hundreds of thousands enjoyed Eurovision parties across Europe - however they received the broadcast - whether that was from each of the 40 countries national broadcasters or via eurovision.TV

So yes, I totally agree, it is wonderful news.

parties are always fun - no mystery there. but why that means anything to us as .tv owners is a mystery to me.

i hope everyone will forgive me for channeling rick schwartz when i say that traffic, and especially type-in traffic, is the NUMBER 1 metric that can be used to assess a bottom line value for any a domain. if a domain gets high traffic and its the kind of traffic that advertisers are ready to pay for then its certainly valuable. if it does not then one one relying on more speculative metrics based on "perceived potential" (most commonly known as "bull $hit").

as far as your inabilities regarding world affairs its not at all like you dont own a lot of .tv names and could tell at a glance what the numbers are and whether they are steadily improving or not. you ought to be able to look at any one day or week and see if there was a spike in traffic across your holdings and thereby know that the eurovision use of a .tv made any significant difference. so you either willfully choose not to look at the data or you arent telling the truth about knowing. my guess is the former but only you know for sure.

btw - how is the traffic for manchester.tv shaping up? you must know that one right?

•••
Eurovision.tv
- global rank #84,483
- rank increased 22% over the last 90 days
- reaches roughly 169,470 users / 372,840 pageviews a month
- estimated monthly revenue is $1,081.20.
- estimated value $13,154.60

I've been researching the Euro TV namespace for a sell / dev / or hold decision on EurozoneTV.com.

Two things stood out:

1). Eurozone.europa.eu
- global rank #853
- reaches 23,080,350 users / 36,928,590 pageviews a month
- estimated monthly revenue of $107,093.10
- estimated value $3,908,898.15

2). Eurozone.tv redirects to Google.co.uk

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back