Dynadot
NameSilo
Watch
Impact
Hi

For this, let's assume that .tel will not be a total flop.

What type of keywords will be most valuable for this extension? Will it be geographical keywords, like newyork.tel, losangeles.tel, etc, or what else?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Could a mod rename this the "The official .tel hype thread"?
:)

Shahid7 said:
.tel is a hit 10/10 , please do not spoil the image of it and let people lose money incase they can have an opportunity.

.tel is a very, very long way from being a 'hit'. It's not to say it won't be (if I had a crystal ball I'd be a lot richer).

All the comments you perceive as 'spoiling the image' seem to be containing constructive criticism of the extension and what it can do. If anyone's leaning towards negative it is because they're trying to save you money now, not lose it for you in the long run...

•••
JamesDavid said:
I would use one for sure, reason, AD FREE, which really is ideal. Example,

I travel for business frequently, sooo If I am in St. Louis and need a good pizza joint, I hate pizza Hut and other chains...

I type in Pizza.tel,
Click on State Missouri. loading...
click on city St. Louis loading....
now I have a list of 40 pizza places AND ALL there contact info, and I didnt have to see one misleading ad, or wait for stupid graphics to load and best part is unlike a 411 service whic charges me, if I don't like one place after I call I choose another which is right in front of me....

BEST PART HERE:
After I hang up the phone ordering pizza, I click on the address, becuase on my blackberry I can click an address and have it open in my GPS!!!! Now I know EXACTLY where I am going.....

Very well said, i perosonally belive in the same let us all keep the spirit of .tel alive and not let anyone ruin it just becoz they think .tel is just a telephone and all that.

Good luck everyone with ur preorders including me:D

•••
JamesDavid said:
.TEL HAS STANDARDS.... IT IS DIFFERENT...
Each TLD is delivered full of promises, and the registries will hype it to death and tell you how it is so 'different' and unique but in the end... it's just another TLD.
The sunrise results are not too encouraging BTW. It looks like end users fail to see the benefits.

Maybe the concept looks 'cool' on paper but when the landrush is over you will realize you are stuck with worthless names that get zero natural traffic :imho: Good luck promoting .tel.
I don't even see how it's going to be financially viable. It bears the characteristics of a .travel in the making.
Anyway, here are my .tel preregs:

:gl:

•••
JamesDavid said:
For being such a non-believer you sure do frequent this thread often! Maybe you have a soft spot for the .tel and the standards it holds....

Don't forget to with enough backing .tel will continued to be developed....

Oh the old "shut up you are ruining the hype" without saying just that. It's a forum for discussion. If you want a one-sided echo-chamber start your own forum for .tel and exclude everyone who doesn't share your vision.

As for your last assertion - read the thousands of mobi threads proclaiming the exact same thing.

.tel - will get no traffic.
.tel - as a directory? Yet it has to compete against thousands of existing directories, long-established search engines and yellow pages in the hands of every North American.
.tel - extremely hard to monetize - even harder than .mobi
.tel - duplication of existing content for reasons even more contrived than mobi.
.tel - restricts what you can and cannot do with it

Where's the upside? Do the positives REALLY outweigh the negatives?

•••
•••
whitebark said:
Oh the old "shut up you are ruining the hype" without saying just that. It's a forum for discussion. If you want a one-sided echo-chamber start your own forum for .tel and exclude everyone who doesn't share your vision.

In all seriousness I meant it as a joke, you don't have to get all worked up friend.....

ALSO,

That is awesome to hear about the email option!!!

•••
Ms Domainer said:

:tu:

whitebark said:

Na-na-na-na-nah I can't hear you!!!
:)

sdsinc said:
Maybe the concept looks 'cool' on paper but when the landrush is over you will realize you are stuck with worthless names that get zero natural traffic :imho: Good luck promoting .tel.

It's sad to think that this probably accurately sums up what will happen. And yet...

Na-na-na-na-nah I can't hear you!!!

•••
spoofies said:
I think I scrolled through all of them and saw 'joker.tel' and 'partypoker.tel' but didn't see poker.tel.

I thought it was interesting how microsoft regged

microsoft.tel
xbox.tel
xbox360.tel

I also saw

mcdonalds.tel
happymeal.tel

Look like companies are regging multiple trademarks.

Where do you see that on the website?

•••
.h2o. said:
Where do you see that on the website?

That was my bad. It was Joker.tel that I saw.

•••
•••
Dear colleagues,

Whould you be so kind to advice the most reliable registrar for Landrush pre-order ?

Thanks.

•••
MasterGuru said:
Dear colleagues,

Whould you be so kind to advice the most reliable registrar for Landrush pre-order ?

Thanks.

www.domainmonster.com

i trust them like anything since their result are always 9/10

•••

I used Dotster.

I like the sleek console (not busy like GoDaddy's).

However, for regular .com's they seem a bit expensive.

Shahid7, What do you mean by "their result is always 9/10"?

Do you mean that they accept your .tel applications 9 times out of 10?

•••
I think he means for .me and .asia they had a 90% success rate of securing the actual domain when it was landrushed through them.

Domainmonster.com have a proven track record in TLD launches - As an ICANN accredited registry with direct affiliations to the .tel registry, your application reaches the registry within seconds of launch, giving it the maximum chance of success. At the Pre-Order stages of the recent .asia and .me launches more than 91% of applications were successful.

•••
spoofies said:
I think he means for .me and .asia they had a 90% success rate of securing the actual domain when it was landrushed through them.

Thanks!

•••
Please excuse my extreme ignorance here --- are .tel domains already available for registration?

•••
.Tel is currently in the sunrise phase, and is only available for companies with registered trademarks. I think there is a 6 month trademarked timeframe or so, read that somewhere. So you can't just make up a company today, trademark it, and register a .Tel for your company.

This is all audited by Deloitte.

On Feb 3rd, people can register during the landrush phase. Certain registrars, dotster, eurodns, domainmonster allow pre-orders for .tel domains. They usually only allow one person per name. So if I pre-registered chicago.tel and sushi.tel on domainmonster, no one else can pre-register it for landrush. However, another person can pre-register those two names on dotster, eurodns and whoever else is offering pre-orders.

On Feb 3rd, all the registrars with preorders apply for their domain names and basically whoever is the fastest wins. Domainmonster was offering pre-orders for domain names months ago and they only charge your card on file if it successfully goes through. I had 25 names pre-registered on DM the day they announced landrush pre-orders. I canceled that down to 3 and canceled that down to 2 premium names. I haven't been charged anything and won't be charged unless my names go through on the 3rd.

The 3rd phase is the general availability phase, I think sometime in March or April. Anybody can register for $10-15 depending on the registrar, however, at this time, you can expect that most premium names will have been scooped up during the landrush period.

•••
spoofies said:
.Tel is currently in the sunrise phase, and is only available for companies with registered trademarks. I think there is a 6 month trademarked timeframe or so, read that somewhere. So you can't just make up a company today, trademark it, and register a .Tel for your company.

This is all audited by Deloitte.

On Feb 3rd, people can register during the landrush phase. Certain registrars, dotster, eurodns, domainmonster allow pre-orders for .tel domains. They usually only allow one person per name. So if I pre-registered chicago.tel and sushi.tel on domainmonster, no one else can pre-register it for landrush. However, another person can pre-register those two names on dotster, eurodns and whoever else is offering pre-orders.

On Feb 3rd, all the registrars with preorders apply for their domain names and basically whoever is the fastest wins. Domainmonster was offering pre-orders for domain names months ago and they only charge your card on file if it successfully goes through. I had 25 names pre-registered on DM the day they announced landrush pre-orders. I canceled that down to 3 and canceled that down to 2 premium names. I haven't been charged anything and won't be charged unless my names go through on the 3rd.

The 3rd phase is the general availability phase, I think sometime in March or April. Anybody can register for $10-15 depending on the registrar, however, at this time, you can expect that most premium names will have been scooped up during the landrush period.

DomainMonster doesn't allow you to cancel your preorders... the only way you can not get charged is by delisting your credit card from their file or making sure there is NO room on it for DM to charge their fees....

How did you "cancel" your pre-orders??

•••
i have used domain monster for .me and i got 33 which i booked out of 35
and their launch of domains is always and success rate not like the way godaddy did people last time. i am glad i found domain monster

:) i have 10 .tel in landrush and around 65 in general.

Ms Domainer said:

I used Dotster.

I like the sleek console (not busy like GoDaddy's).

However, for regular .com's they seem a bit expensive.

Shahid7, What do you mean by "their result is always 9/10"?

Do you mean that they accept your .tel applications 9 times out of 10?

spoofies said:

yes thats exactly what i meant :) infact i even mail justin heyward my self
to ask him about .tel hopefully it will do good lets keep our fingers crossed

•••
saucey said:
DomainMonster doesn't allow you to cancel your preorders... the only way you can not get charged is by delisting your credit card from their file or making sure there is NO room on it for DM to charge their fees....

How did you "cancel" your pre-orders??

You have 48 hours to cancel your preorder on domain monster.

•••
Alright,

For an extension that was suppose to be "open registration of generics"

I have had the following domains cancelled from my preorder by DomainMonster

Poker.tel
News.tel
Info.tel

All because the previous domains were regged by trademark holders? I mean who holds a trademark to News? or Info? or Poker?

This is dumb....

•••
Not sure, but I do know that names such as xbox360, and happymeal were registered. It seems as if companies can register multiple names. Maybe CNN registered news.tel and partypoker registered poker.tel.

•••
JamesDavid said:
Alright,

For an extension that was suppose to be "open registration of generics"

I have had the following domains cancelled from my preorder by DomainMonster

Poker.tel
News.tel
Info.tel

All because the previous domains were regged by trademark holders? I mean who holds a trademark to News? or Info? or Poker?

This is dumb....

I suspect that someone preordered these at DomainMonster before you. Remember: it's first come, first served. Each registrar probably allows one preorder, per name.

Unfortunately, these are high-demand keywords that are probably already preordered at all the registrars, but you could always try at another registrar.

I'm guessing here: Then on February 3, when the names are officially released, each registrar will act as a drop catcher and the fastest registrar will get the name for its customer.

Maybe someone from telnic will jump on this thread and clarify; I, too, would question granting a trademark for these highly generic keywords.

•••
Ms Domainer said:

I suspect that someone preordered these at DomainMonster before you. Remember: it's first come, first served. Each registrar probably allows one preorder, per name.

Unfortunately, these are high-demand keywords that are probably already preordered at all the registrars, but you could always try at another registrar.

I'm guessing here: Then on February 3, when the names are officially released, each registrar will act as a drop catcher and the fastest registrar will get the name for its customer.

Maybe someone from telnic will jump on this thread and clarify; I, too, would question granting a trademark for these highly generic keywords.

That is the irony, I registered all of these within seconds of them accepting applications, also they have been in my account for months now... Never a problem, it is because someone has a trademark on them...

Here is the exact email:

The .tel registry has today begun to inform us of which .tel domain names have been registered through the current Trademark application period, Sunrise.

In light of this information, we have cancelled your Pre-Orders for the following domain(s) as we will not be able to register them at the launch. This means that the value of these Pre-Orders will not be included when we authorise your card 72 hours before the launch. Please be aware that the Sunrise period is still in progress and more .tel domain names may be taken before the launch of Landrush.

news.tel (Landrush)
poker.tel (Landrush)

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused.

•••
JamesDavid said:
Alright,

This is dumb....
I found 6 live TMs on the word "poker" and I'm sure there are plenty more. I found 4 live TMs for "news" as well.

TMs can be created on pretty much any words you can think of.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back