IT.COM
NameSilo
Watch
Impact
Hi

For this, let's assume that .tel will not be a total flop.

What type of keywords will be most valuable for this extension? Will it be geographical keywords, like newyork.tel, losangeles.tel, etc, or what else?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
keithmt said:
I found 6 live TMs on the word "poker" and I'm sure there are plenty more. I found 4 live TMs for "news" as well.

TMs can be created on pretty much any words you can think of.

Hmmmmmm...

Interesting.

I thought that the general rule for trademarking a generic term was that one could NOT apply for the dictionary meaning of the word. In other words, an apple farmer could not apply for "Apple" as a trademark, but that a computer company or car dealership could because those TM's would not cripple language usage.

But maybe that's just the US.

As for "news" and "poker," I can't imagine how one might monetize those words for anything but the dictionary meanings.

I'll bet you anything those addresses will be used for the dictionary meaning of poker and news.

Bummer.

•••
its funny, join the club 2 of mine also got knocked out :(

YOUR .TEL PRE-ORDERS

Dear Shahid

The .tel registry has today begun to inform us of which .tel domain names have been registered through the current Trademark application period, Sunrise.

In light of this information, we have cancelled your Pre-Orders for the following domain(s) as we will not be able to register them at the launch. This means that the value of these Pre-Orders will not be included when we authorise your card 72 hours before the launch. Please be aware that the Sunrise period is still in progress and more .tel domain names may be taken before the launch of Landrush.

hotel.tel (Landrush)
property.tel (Landrush)

•••
Ms Domainer said:

I thought that the general rule for trademarking a generic term was that one could NOT apply for the dictionary meaning of the word.

I'll bet you anything those addresses will be used for the dictionary meaning of poker and news.
Bummer.
There is a company who sells tequila and they have a live TM on the word "poker". Fair enough to say that they can claim poker.tel in the sunrise period.

So now they have the name in their possession. Who says they have to use the name to promote tequila? Seems as though they could use it any way they see fit once they have the rights to the name. If that means they use it for gambling then so be it.

•••
Got the same e-mail about a week ago.

The .tel registry has today informed us of which .tel domain names are restricted and therefore not available for registration.

In light of this information, we have cancelled your Pre-Orders for the following domain(s) as we will not be able to register them at the launch. This means that the value of these Pre-Orders will not be included when we authorise your card 72 hours before the launch.

hongkong.tel (General Availability)
name.tel (General Availability)
org.tel (General Availability)
singapore.tel (General Availability)

•••
noticed there are more getting picked up by tm holders these include
Beer??? Flowers and Music! and tel.tel :hehe:

Last edited:
•••
haha

Last edited:
•••
.h2o. said:
I hope Name.com wins because then I would have ********.tel :)

I wouldn't advertise your name; someone else could still apply for it at another registrar.

:td:

Maybe it won't matter; probably someone has a TM on it.

:'(

Bah!

•••
I remember domainmonster wasn't accepting business (tel) on any level, someone had already applied for the sunrise period. Best of luck to you though.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Yawn, I stick with .com.

•••

Here's the fine print from telnic:

Telnic has a small list of names that it has reserved for itself. This list was compiled following consultation with Telnic's Interim Policy Advisory Group (iPAG). The names on this reserved list relate to the operation of the registry and the .tel system as a whole. Some are concerned with new features and components of the .tel system that are expected to be introduced following the launch of .tel. Therefore this list remains company confidential.

http://www2.telnic.org/reserved-names.html

Last edited:
•••
Because I was interested, I was just checking to see if EuroDNS are displaying the premium landrush charges when you try and buy a .tel domain, so thought I'd put something completely random in that nobody will have on pre-order. For some reason the word bongo was first to my head, so I tried bongobongo.tel and guess what? Yup, seems like someone's already got it on order.
Can anyone own up to this one?
:-/ :lol:

•••
S~ said:
Because I was interested, I was just checking to see if EuroDNS are displaying the premium landrush charges when you try and buy a .tel domain, so thought I'd put something completely random in that nobody will have on pre-order. For some reason the word bongo was first to my head, so I tried bongobongo.tel and guess what? Yup, seems like someone's already got it on order.
Can anyone own up to this one?
:-/ :lol:

Could that be someone's user name?

Still, I don't get this one.

•••
cobainer said:
Why .tel?

1 - A .tel plays a fundamentally different role than a traditional .com,.net,..., has very specific and unique content, and is published in a different format and medium (DNS instead of Web). Therefore, Google and other search engines will want to index .tel content in addition to .com content, and will not penalize a company for having both a .com and a .tel, as opposed to those that multiply websites under .com, .biz, .co.uk, etc... This will give companies double presence, with both a .com and a .tel.

2 - The .tel data is fully structured, and therefore very easily readable and understandable by search engine crawlers, as opposed to standard web page content that needs advanced parsing algorithms that often misunderstand the content (reading a fax number as a main number, for example).

3 - .tel communications content is very easy to maintain, and can be updated at significantly shorter intervals than .com informational content. This gives search engines more incentive to re-index .tel content at shorter intervals as well.

4 - Local search engines will index by preference .tel data thanks to .tel's focus on communications and location information.

5 - Finally, .tel has the best ROI in the SEO/SEM business, being extremely cheap ($15-$20/year) given all the features above.

Also, if you have a premium .tel, you could use it to point to your prime websites that might be attached to non-premium domains.

.Tel could very well circumvent the need for an expensive .com domain.

•••
CC was pre-authorized today. Just gotta wait now.

•••
Hi everyone

MS Domainer alerted me to this board and the fact that you had some questions, especially about the registration of generic names in the Sunrise period. I can confirm that there were quite a few and that a third party agent, Deloitte, validated all of the trademarks submitted to make sure that they were registered with national effect. There are unfortunately ways and means around registering generic trademarks by registering them as devices, logos or with other strange characters in them. Given our Sunrise period was much stricter than prior TLD launches, we feel we did our best to make this as rigourous as possible.

Now, on to another point. There's lots of discussion about the .tel and what it's good for (or not good for, depending on your perspective). There's no doubt that it's entirely different to anything that's gone before in terms of the TLD world. In fact, there's no point in comparing it to anything that's gone before - it's been designed with a completely different set of objectives in mind. Does that make it uninteresting to domainers? Not according to many domainers I met at DOMAINfest this week in Hollywood.

However, I'd suggest you do as MS Domainer has done and get a free trial account to try out - http://www.telnic.org/vip. It has pretty much the full functionality now. Then, if you have a mobile device, check it out over your mobile browser as well as a computer browser. Then change your details and see how it reacts. Then check your phone bill when it comes and and check out how little you paid to access that.

I'm going to be a bit busy over the next couple of days with Landrush, but please do email me at the contact information you'll find under justin.tel and I'll do my best to get back to you quickly. Keep asking questions, but please do try out the trial account and get comfortable with a whole new way to monetize domains, especially from mobile devices (hint: see my-idol.tel).

Thanks for the discussion,

Justin
Telnic Limited

•••
spoofies said:
CC was pre-authorized today. Just gotta wait now.

how many you gunning for Spoofies?

I've got one real nice one on order :hehe:

•••
I canceled my landrush down to 2 very premium names.

•••
justinhayward said:
Hi everyone

MS Domainer alerted me to this board and the fact that you had some questions, especially about the registration of generic names in the Sunrise period. I can confirm that there were quite a few and that a third party agent, Deloitte, validated all of the trademarks submitted to make sure that they were registered with national effect. There are unfortunately ways and means around registering generic trademarks by registering them as devices, logos or with other strange characters in them. Given our Sunrise period was much stricter than prior TLD launches, we feel we did our best to make this as rigourous as possible.

Now, on to another point. There's lots of discussion about the .tel and what it's good for (or not good for, depending on your perspective). There's no doubt that it's entirely different to anything that's gone before in terms of the TLD world. In fact, there's no point in comparing it to anything that's gone before - it's been designed with a completely different set of objectives in mind. Does that make it uninteresting to domainers? Not according to many domainers I met at DOMAINfest this week in Hollywood.

However, I'd suggest you do as MS Domainer has done and get a free trial account to try out - http://www.telnic.org/vip. It has pretty much the full functionality now. Then, if you have a mobile device, check it out over your mobile browser as well as a computer browser. Then change your details and see how it reacts. Then check your phone bill when it comes and and check out how little you paid to access that.

I'm going to be a bit busy over the next couple of days with Landrush, but please do email me at the contact information you'll find under justin.tel and I'll do my best to get back to you quickly. Keep asking questions, but please do try out the trial account and get comfortable with a whole new way to monetize domains, especially from mobile devices (hint: see my-idol.tel).

Justin
Telnic Limited

Thanks, Justin.

•••
justinhayward said:
Hi everyone

Justin
Telnic Limited

Thanks Justin! Great to see you on the board!! Looking forward to landrush, hope I get what I'm looking for! :hehe:

Last edited:
•••
justinhayward said:
Hi everyone

Justin
Telnic Limited

thanks Justin, i sent you a mail and got replied pretty quick lets keep our fingers crossed i have 8 in landrush and CC is authorized.

•••
•••
Justin seems like a great guy. Obviously works hard to promote .tel. Seen him on numerous videos, responds to numerous blog posts and articles. E-mailed him a few months ago when I first heard about .Tel and he got back to me within hours.

If only .Pro had someone like him (and less restrictions).

•••
XJYawn said:
I stick with .com

seanboy said:
hear, hear :)

I love .com as well (who doesn't?), and own more .com than anything else, but it never hurts to diversify.

;)

Just saying.

•••
Ms Domainer said:

I love .com as well (who doesn't?), and own more .com than anything else, but it never hurts to diversify.

;)

Just saying.

well, at $300+ per landrush domain it can hurt wayyyyyy more than any other recent TLD's landrush..

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back