Dynadot
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi

For this, let's assume that .tel will not be a total flop.

What type of keywords will be most valuable for this extension? Will it be geographical keywords, like newyork.tel, losangeles.tel, etc, or what else?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
mjnels said:
well, at $300+ per landrush domain it can hurt wayyyyyy more than any other recent TLD's landrush..

That's why one has to diversify carefully and not sign up for 100 .tel during landrush.

Also, one should ONLY apply for one-word premiums.

I realize that we all have to work within our own budgets and comfort zone. And investing in .tel IS a risk and definitely not for everyone.

To paraphrase Warren Buffet: Be fearful when everyone else is greedy; be greedy when everyone else is fearful.

•••
mjnels said:
well, at $300+ per landrush domain it can hurt wayyyyyy more than any other recent TLD's landrush..

True. But recent TLD landrushes had insane auctions (.mobi) and dozens upon dozens of restricted premium names (.me). A name that went for $xx,xxx - $xxx,xxx in .mobi during landrush auction or $xx,xxx in .me when the registrar decides to sell can go for $xxx at most during .Tel landrush (if it isn't registered during sunrise already). Obviously, the actual use of the TLD is going to have influence on the price, that's where the risk comes in.

•••
spoofies said:
True. But recent TLD landrushes had insane auctions (.mobi) and dozens upon dozens of restricted premium names (.me). A name that went for $xx,xxx - $xxx,xxx in .mobi during landrush auction or $xx,xxx in .me when the registrar decides to sell can go for $xxx at most during .Tel landrush (if it isn't registered during sunrise already). Obviously, the actual use of the TLD is going to have influence on the price, that's where the risk comes in.

Agreed.

A lot is riding on how Google chooses to rank this TLD.

At this point, this is unknown and to say otherwise would be misleading (IMHO), so I do understand domainer reluctance.

Update:

Right now, Google owns Googlecomm.com, and some guy in China owns Googletel.com

Last edited:
•••
Its fairly interesting that if you google 'tel' the top two results and four of the top ten are already for telnic/.tel .. out of nearly 1 billion results :0

I've actually registered for somewhat more than I can invest comfortably, but i've only gone for the very top generics, and with 100+ registrars competing the probability is almost zil that I would get them all.

•••
CDM said:
Its fairly interesting that if you google 'tel' the top two results and four of the top ten are already for telnic/.tel .. out of nearly 1 billion results :0

I've actually registered for somewhat more than I can invest comfortably, but i've only gone for the very top generics, and with 100+ registrars competing the probability is almost zil that I would get them all.

Depends on the registrar =]. Domainmonster was over 90% successful in securing landrush domains for .asia and .me. This can also not be the case for .tel, we'll see I guess.

•••
spoofies said:
Depends on the registrar =]. Domainmonster was over 90% successful in securing landrush domains for .asia and .me. This can also not be the case for .tel, we'll see I guess.

There were restrictions for .asia, so I suspect that the competition was less than for .me. For .me, if there was more than one application, the domain went to auction, so you were probably the only applicant for the domains you won. That's not to say your names were bad or anything (I got a great four-letter keyword without competition, but it's not premium). For the premium words in .me, generally the name went to auction, and we saw how some of those turned out.

The .Tel model of assigning names is interesting, so who knows what will happen? A lot will depend on the honesty and the drop catching abilties of the registrars.

I'd like to get at least one my names, but if I don't, well, life goes on.

•••
spoofies said:

for .mobi, the auctions depended on the registrar you used. i used resellerclub.com and paid $60 each (2 year registration) in 2006 for landrush pre-registrations and it was first come first served, so i didnt take part in one auction.

and one thing about the registry holding back names....this is actually a GOOD thing for the aftermarket. it keeps the flood of quality keywords on the forums to a minimum which increases the rarity factor.

•••
woohoo, just had a rush on a bunch of domains the moment they were released to public from landrush :) i got many as gen but not sure if i am to get them tried to bid for vegas.tel but someone got hold of it before me in landrush missed it by a few seconds :(

hope you all are doing good too, lets keep our fingers crossed :)

good luck everyone, incase you get the domain and want to know more on how to use it or impliment it contact me i can try to help you with the best idea which i have planed for my self too

•••
"Its fairly interesting that if you google 'tel' the top two results and four of the top ten are already for telnic/.tel .. out of nearly 1 billion results :0"

We anticipate that .tel domains won't actually be 'live' until February 25th when they will resolve to the DNS. SO the only names out there at the moment are example domains and the VIP.tel test domains.

For more information on SEO/Google potential rankings see the whitepaper on http://dev.telnic.org. This isn't the be-all and end-all of it of course - there will be telpages.com which will only search .tel domains for contact information and we also have been developing applications that integrate directly into things like the BlackBerry address book and the iPhone which call up .tel information from the DNS without going through the web - something important for access out-of-home, where it actually costs less to call up .tel information than pick up the phone to a directory service or browse Google.

Just wanted to point that out. As always, feel free to contact me at justin.tel or tell me to shut up!

Thanks,

Justin Hayward
Telnic Limited

•••
Landrush starts tomorrow, you can see the OFFICIAL countdown timer at the lower right hand cornere of the website:

http://www.telnic.org/

About 27 hours until the rush!

FYI: these domains are not $300+ Your application/processing fee during the SUNRISE plus the costs of the registration = $300+. I think the domains will be priced about $15 per year with a minimum 3 year registration during landrush.

Luckily the names I want were not taken during sunrise :) best of luck to everyone!

•••
My two pre-orders haven't been taken during sunrise. Good luck! Can't wait to hear everyone's grabs.

•••
I canceled all my pre-orders, but I just grabbed one that domainmonster released today that they couldn't secure a payment for, and I'm really surprised I even had a chance to pre-order this one (considering I didn't even look at the list of domains until 5 hours after they posted it). It's a really nice, premium geo keyword - hope I get it :tu:

•••
domainacrobat said:
L
FYI: these domains are not $300+ Your application/processing fee during the SUNRISE plus the costs of the registration = $300+. I think the domains will be priced about $15 per year with a minimum 3 year registration during landrush.

Luckily the names I want were not taken during sunrise :) best of luck to everyone!

No, the price IS from $295 to $375 (depending upon registrars, and also if they ask you to pay the money in advance or not) during Landrush; the price below $20 which you quote will be AFTER landrush, toward the end of March, at the time of general availability.

I am uncertain about the future of .tel. Initially so skeptical that I didn't intend to try to grab any. Finally, I will go after a few, carefully selected ones, just in order not to stay away completely, and because I can see a potential for SOME names anyway. Let's see - I am not sure that I will get any, but I am curious to witness what will happen!

•••
me too! I was going to get 2.. then it was gone. I think you got the one I was going to get :)

brendan52190 said:
I canceled all my pre-orders, but I just grabbed one that domainmonster released today that they couldn't secure a payment for, and I'm really surprised I even had a chance to pre-order this one (considering I didn't even look at the list of domains until 5 hours after they posted it). It's a really nice, premium geo keyword - hope I get it :tu:

•••
.tel Direct Navigation?

I haven't heard anybody discuss direct navigation potential for .tel. Why is that?

As .tel grows in popularity, no doubt, a small percentage of people will enter a generic keyword followed by .tel in the URL bar. If it's a premium keyword that attracts 5,000+ searches per day, a small percentage of the total could still be significant. Even better, if .tel becomes the mobile search tool of choice, the search results could be much greater.

Then, from the .tel landing page, there can be links to web pages that offer products or services. In fact, if you look at the www.celebrity.tel demo link, that's what they're doing. Looks like an opportunity to me!

Any thoughts?

•••
Shahid7 said:
woohoo, just had a rush on a bunch of domains the moment they were released to public from landrush :) i got many as gen but not sure if i am to get them tried to bid for vegas.tel but someone got hold of it before me in landrush missed it by a few seconds :(

hope you all are doing good too, lets keep our fingers crossed :)

good luck everyone, incase you get the domain and want to know more on how to use it or impliment it contact me i can try to help you with the best idea which i have planed for my self too

Did you actually get .tel domains?

I have been trying to log in to Dotster, but it took a long time (I just logged in and...nothing listed so far, one way or another).

I hope this doesn't mean Europe and Asia got a jump on everyone else.

:'(

No emails yet.

•••
Ms Domainer said:

Did you actually get .tel domains?

I have been trying to log in to Dotster, but it took a long time (I just logged in and...nothing listed so far, one way or another).

I hope this doesn't mean Europe and Asia got a jump on everyone else.

:'(

No emails yet.

Nope, nobody did yet. Domainmonster sent an e-mail out to everyone who pre-regged saying that they just released a list of previous pre-regged landrush names that couldn't be authorized due to lack of funds. The people who regged these names didn't have enough money to pay for the pre-authorization so now they're being offered for pre-reg again.

•••
spoofies said:
Nope, nobody did yet. Domainmonster sent an e-mail out to everyone who pre-regged saying that they just released a list of previous pre-regged landrush names that couldn't be authorized due to lack of funds. The people who regged these names didn't have enough money to pay for the pre-authorization so now they're being offered for pre-reg again.

Gotcha!

I just checked, and mine are still showing "pending."

Thanks!

•••
Investing in any extension can be profitable, e.g. I turned around $30k profits from the crappy .mobi back to 2007 - earlier 2008.

I do research work on any extension, but .Tel is the worst IMO. Reason? Go back and check Spade/sdsinc's comments, I second their opinions 100%. It's not to say .Tel won't be profitable to you, maybe the owner of Toyota.me will reach you and close a decent deal. Who knows?

Again, I would strongly suggest you invest your money carefully, rethink about it before you putting serious $ to .Tel. Good luck!

•••
owntype said:
Investing in any extension can be profitable, e.g. I turned around $30k profits from the crappy .mobi back to 2007 - earlier 2008.

I do research work on any extension, but .Tel is the worst IMO. Reason? Go back and check Spade/sdsinc's comments, I second their opinions 100%. It's not to say .Tel won't be profitable to you, maybe the owner of Toyota.me will reach you and close a decent deal. Who knows?

Again, I would strongly suggest you invest your money carefully, rethink about it before you putting serious $ to .Tel. Good luck!

Well, I haven't applied for any TMs, so I doubt if Mr. Kohler would be interested in anything I might get.

;)

Everyone has their opinions, but I base my decisions on the research I have done (not just telnic's hype, either), including reading several attorney sites. Lawyers seem to be very interested in this TLD, and not just for TM defensive purposes.

I have also set up a "trial" (on VIP) and have played around with some of the features. Now the console does need some tweaking before real sites go live, but it's incredibly easy to use, and a card can be set up in minutes.

Again, it would probably be foolish to register 100 domains, but who am I to say?

All I can say: I have committed an amount I can afford to lose.

•••
Ms Domainer said:

All I can say: I have committed an amount I can afford to lose.

All I can say: Shuffle up and Deal!! :sold:

•••
So how long after DomainMonster sends in the applications for landrushs do we find out if they secured the domain we preordered?

•••
brendan52190 said:
So how long after DomainMonster sends in the applications for landrushs do we find out if they secured the domain we preordered?

I saw somewhere that Landrush officially starts at 3:00 pm EST (or is that GMT?)

I hope it's not like .me when GD's servers crashed.

•••
18 hours 33 min. to Landrush...

•••
It's 9:00 am CST - 10:00 am EST - 3:00 pm GST

approximately 10 1/2 hours from now

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back