IT.COM
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi

For this, let's assume that .tel will not be a total flop.

What type of keywords will be most valuable for this extension? Will it be geographical keywords, like newyork.tel, losangeles.tel, etc, or what else?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The first and/or middle initials plus all or part of last name with a few numbers cleverly mixed in can go a long way. Getting away from a legal name offers even more flexibility.

Made me think so looked up s3x.tel >> Taken, but actually taken at the premium pricing by a push to talk us provider!!!

•••
Made me think so looked up s3x.tel >> Taken, but actually taken at the premium pricing by a push to talk us provider!!!

That's what I'm talking about!*

*(And while I was at it, 'picked up 4DN.tel - that'll be one easy phone call.):talk:

Last edited:
•••
Let's put the 20th century phone numbers to rest, and use names in the 21st century.
This is like building a 15,000 seat stadium and saying that 150,000 people are going to come to each game.

There are currently about 81 Million .com's registered. Everyone knows how hard it is to hand reg something halfway decent.

Now apply that to a hypothetical mainstream world wide demand for .tel. At what .tel sales threshold will you need to be a great brainstormer to come up with something that is still easy to remember enough to say that it's better than using phone numbers?

If I'm just some guy who wants a .tel, is JohnDoeFromNYC5.tel really better than 212-555-3057? You've got to write down either one, so what's the point?

This is a real problem for the .tel communications utopia dreamers.

•••
This is like building a 15,000 seat stadium and saying that 150,000 people are going to come to each game.

There are currently about 81 Million .com's registered. Everyone knows how hard it is to hand reg something halfway decent.

Now apply that to a hypothetical mainstream world wide demand for .tel. At what .tel sales threshold will you need to be a great brainstormer to come up with something that is still easy to remember enough to say that it's better than using phone numbers?

If I'm just some guy who wants a .tel, is JohnDoeFromNYC5.tel really better than 212-555-3057? You've got to write down either one, so what's the point?

Imo, JohnDoeFromNYC5.tel is better than 212-555-3057.
You can also reg nyc5553057 and that would still be better than 212-555-3057.

•••

The point is that you can get p1-212-555-1212.tel if you want, and put in it not only your phone number, but also your IMs, emails, websites, etc..., and all that securely if you want as well.
And it'll never change for you, even when you move from NY to Florida to retire in half a century.

So of course you won't bother with p1-212-555-1212.tel but instead get dubdubdub.tel and be happy. :)

•••
The point is that you can get p1-212-555-1212.tel if you want, and put in it not only your phone number, but also your IMs, emails, websites, etc..., and all that securely if you want as well.
And it'll never change for you, even when you move from NY to Florida to retire in half a century.

So of course you won't bother with p1-212-555-1212.tel but instead get dubdubdub.tel and be happy. :)

Thats why I got my name.tel also it can be interested to get easy to remember numbers like a12345.tel if name aren't available so next time you meet some one "like the ben.tel ad" : contact me on a12345.tel rather than 145-222-5445 :p

For businesses, rather have their company name.tel or a generic like if you sell widgets than widgets.tel

•••
The point is, it must be available in .com :laugh:

•••
Language is way more flexible than some of you think.

If I needed to create a new moniker for myself tomorrow then with a little creativity I would have absolutely no problem finding one available in the Gmail, .tel, .com namespaces even though .com has 80m+ names and Gmail 100m+.

The days of ugly Hotmail nicks like andy1234 are OVER - people realise they don't need to accept any of those ridiculous suggestions now.. instead they get creative!

•••
That's a problem with your iPhone. It's an OS thing that I have no control over: it does it 2 times and then it should auto-accept and you'll never see the popup again.
But I'll see to making this a user-editable setting anyway.

I dunno. You might be right. I wonder if it's a OS3 function perhaps. Maybe someone else with an iPhone would chime in here.

Very good points. I'll also work on a single button press "add to address book".

So much to do, so little time...

Nice! :) Can't wait to see the next version. Rep added

•••
I saw sxx.tel on sedo for 70euros (not mine)
Looks like 3 letter tel are selling great, the previous sold one was a LLL.tel too on sedo.

•••
I saw sxx.tel on sedo for 70euros (not mine)
Looks like 3 letter tel are selling great, the previous sold one was a LLL.tel too on sedo.

I have three 3 letter .tel's on Sedo including jjj.tel. No offers on any but have not used featured listing.

•••
.Tel Goes Hollywood

It doesn't get any better than this! IMHO, this is a breakthrough in connecting domain names with the mainstream in a meaningful way. As go the celebrities, so goes the world...

Counting down to the 2009 MTV Movie Awards:

http://no_url_shorteners/GHyEN

"Telnic, the company behind .tel, is joining a handpicked selection of other key sponsors with Sway and Tim on the red carpet and then will be partying with exclusive A-list celebrities, artists and musicians into the night. Guests will be provided with .tel accounts so that they can get the benefit from ‘the new way to communicate’ and securely share all the ways they want their fans, friends and acquaintances to interact with them."

Last edited:
•••
We need more of these to boost Dot TEL

We need more of these to boost Dot TEL
And like I said earlier:
i)a way to track traffic!
ii)and a way to add ads (while keeping .Dot TEL main features.)

It doesn't get any better than this! IMHO, this a breakthrough in connecting domain names with the mainstream in a meaningful way. As go the celebrities, so goes the world...

Counting down to the 2009 MTV Movie Awards:

http://no_url_shorteners/GHyEN

"Telnic, the company behind .tel, is joining a handpicked selection of other key sponsors with Sway and Tim on the red carpet and then will be partying with exclusive A-list celebrities, artists and musicians into the night. Guests will be provided with .tel accounts so that they can get the benefit from ‘the new way to communicate’ and securely share all the ways they want their fans, friends and acquaintances to interact with them."

•••
i)a way to track traffic!

Traffic logs from the web proxy are coming.

ii)and a way to add ads (while keeping .Dot TEL main features.)

The point of .tel is to aggregate communications information. Traditional web advertising has no place on .tel. You should be thinking about the various ways to monetise either the communications channels or directory listings.

Last edited:
•••

it's basically much easier for humans to remember names over numbers, no matter how convoluted. try it.. tell someone a 10 digit number, then a name then ask them to repeat both. see if they're able to remember the number after 5 minutes. it's pretty compelling.

the other issue: when your browser becomes your phone, what address will you use?

---------- Post added at 01:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 AM ----------

i think a great commercial would be something along the lines of the expedia gameshow type thing: see who can find the contact information and call quickest. one person armed with .tel, the other forced to page through a website to find the 'contact' info.

it might go a long way in showing 'why' .tel is going to be a powerhouse.

---------- Post added at 01:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:35 AM ----------

i think a great commercial would be something along the lines of the expedia gameshow type thing: see who can find the contact information and call quickest. one person armed with .tel, the other forced to page through a website to find the 'contact' info.

it might go a long way in showing 'why' .tel is going to be a powerhouse.

•••
it's basically much easier for humans to remember names over numbers, no matter how convoluted. try it.. tell someone a 10 digit number, then a name then ask them to repeat both. see if they're able to remember the number after 5 minutes. it's pretty compelling.
And I won't argue this fact.

My point was that while remembering 10 digits is difficult, it would also be difficult to recall .tel's once the easy to remember names are gone.

Simply put, .tel is not scalable enough to call it the next big thing in communications.

•••
And I won't argue this fact.

My point was that while remembering 10 digits is difficult, it would also be difficult to recall .tel's once the easy to remember names are gone.

Simply put, .tel is not scalable enough to call it the next big thing in communications.

This issue can be resolved mathematically. I don't have the time but check how many personalised plates are in USA. What is population? Now they are limited to 7 digits aren't they? Dottel can go to higher characters. You can have 2, 3 words etc., etc. If you crunch the numbers there are more than enough combinations I would think. Also, the dottel represents a "collection" of contact data etc. So ever if you were Mike298524 this is fine because it represents a lot of data not just one item.

But Mike can be:

Mike
Mike[26 1 letter options]
[26 1 letter options]Mike
Mike[26 2 letter options]
[26 2 letter options]Mike

Mike[9 1 digit options]

All other combinations +

KiwiMike
HappyMike
[Geo]Mike
Mike[Geo]

If you think these through there are literally billions of combinations and there are enough easy combinations to cover every Mike on the planet. And even if there were 50 billion Mikes walking around as I said you could have Mike and a number because you are getting a group of data which is always updated.

•••
Totally agree with you Billy2009
There are many combinations with words looka at Gmail, Hotmail Yahoo Mail, Facebook,...social community.. Everyone have a pseudo and any pseudo can be a .tel no need numbers or hard to remember stuff.
If I need a .tel I can name as many as available pseudo. So the problem of .tel is limited now since all first name are taken...... is a false problem. There are billions available pseudo to be taken by users so .tel have a long long life like any webmail, social community, forums....

•••
I have three 3 letter .tel's on Sedo including jjj.tel. No offers on any but have not used featured listing.

Sedo Featured + .tel = ton of looks (3250) but no sale :(

(maid)

•••
What do you guys think to .Tel domains which consist in FirstName.Tel for example;

John.Tel
Ian.Tel
Jess.Tel

And so on, would a firstname.tel bring in a lot of money?

•••
personally i think geos and keywords would be worth more... buy hey, if you could john the billionaire then that blows my theory right out the window ;)

•••
What do you guys think to .Tel domains which consist in FirstName.Tel for example;

John.Tel
Ian.Tel
Jess.Tel

Not sure about a lot of money, but I think standalone
First Names / Geo's will be more sought after than anything else!

Especially if nothing else can be done with them.

•••

John.Tel
Ian.Tel
Jess.Tel

name.tel, companyName.tel and premiumKeyword.tel are the only three worth owning at this stage. Anything outside of this is a risky gamble with a slim chance of paying off.

name.tel... .tel falls within the same group as every other social site to Joe Surfer. The fact that it is on it's own TLD doesn't mean much. If .tel can establish itself on the level of the major social sites, name.tel domains will be worth a similar amount as desirable major social site usernames. So we're talking low to mid $xxx in most cases. If any are selling for that right now it's because .tel is a domainer's domain.

companyName.tel... Obviously TM infringement if domainers own them.

premiumKeyword.tel... Given .tel's purpose, companyName.tel is the smartest one to use. A really great keyword.tel is also a nice option for a second profile. And when I say great keyword, I'm talking the category killers like cars.tel, hotel.tel, nightclub.tel, computers.tel, etc...

Anything that falls outside of these three is pure garbage at the moment and it will probably stay that way.

Last edited:
•••
name.tel, companyName.tel and premiumKeyword.tel are the only three worth owning at this stage. Anything outside of this is a risky gamble with a slim chance of paying off.

name.tel... .tel falls within the same group as every other social site to Joe Surfer. The fact that it is on it's own TLD doesn't mean much. If .tel can establish itself on the level of the major social sites, name.tel domains will be worth a similar amount as desirable major social site usernames. So we're talking low to mid $xxx in most cases. If any are selling for that right now it's because .tel is a domainer's domain.

companyName.tel... Obviously TM infringement if domainers own them.

premiumKeyword.tel... Given .tel's purpose, companyName.tel is the smartest one to use. A really great keyword.tel is also a nice option for a second profile. And when I say great keyword, I'm talking the category killers like cars.tel, hotel.tel, nightclub.tel, computers.tel, etc...

Anything that falls outside of these three is pure garbage at the moment and it will probably stay that way.

So Dub-
what think ye of names like:

dnatesting.tel
jetcharters.tel
aupairagency.tel
charteryachts.tel

????

they have avoided TM issues, but still seem to be decent keys?

•••

this regurgitating nonsense, why constantly criticise?
what do you gain? sleep easier at night?

GEO.tel is working well for us... thank you very much.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back