IT.COM
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Archangel

randypendleton.comTop Member
Impact
This thread was created to bring a local new story to light, which can be viewed below:

JACKSON, Ohio (AP) — An Ohio school district decided Tuesday night to keep a portrait of Jesus hanging in the school where it's been 65 years, denying a federal lawsuit's claim the portrait's display unconstitutionally promotes religion in a public school.

The Jackson City Schools board offered a constitutional justification of its own in voting 4-0 to keep the portrait up in its middle school, saying it must protect students' free speech rights. The vote drew cheers and applause from the dozens of people gathered in the elementary school gymnasium.

Read all of it here: http://news.yahoo.com/ohio-school-b...xzBHB0A3N0b3J5cGFnZQR0ZXN0A1Rlc3RfQUZD;_ylv=3

I posted his here @ NP to see what ppl had to say on the issue. As it turns out, this sparked many debates. I've considered closing this thread but after multiple suggestions, I decided to keep it open. Feel free to join in the topics but per forum rules, please refrain from obscene, threatening, rude, or insulting posts.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Why the shit can't the government of the USA, England, etal do this?

I would like to believe that we are messing with Isis financials, infrastructure and general info. And, the less our government talks about it the better.

•••
I would like to believe that we are messing with Isis financials, infrastructure and general info. And, the less our government talks about it the better.
Looks like they are already messing with the Americans:

The Twitter site of the military's U.S. Central Command 'hacked' by ISIS

'Watch your back, American soldiers, we are coming': ISIS hacks US Central Command during Obama security speech leaking dozens of files and personal details of 4-star generals

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ks-Central-Command-Twitter.html#ixzz3OebMrLvh

•••
Through%2BPlaying%2Bor%2BPlaying%2BThrough%2BSm.jpg

•••
•••
Watching football was more important.

•••
Because they're all a bunch of PC Pussies

No, it's because congress has its head up its ass. They are so intent on playing political power games against each other that they are totally dysfunctional. On the other hand, you're talking about the modern equivalent of a holy war. Do you really want to do that, knowing how many soldiers and innocents would die (on all sides). No matter if you don't agree because there will be war soon enough. . . another high profile bombing or two, and it's going to be ugly, not something to be proud of. Do we play fair, or do we just open fire?

When we were in actual war in Afghanistan, we had the opportunity do really do some damage, but we just knocked off a few high-ranking terrorists who were quickly replaced by other cockroaches. Now we have more questions and confusion. Why were we suddenly defending the countries we were just fighting against? We had (and have) the opportunity to stop a lot of funding by going after funding money, but we're barely doing anything. Why didn't we destroy the poppy fields in Afghanistan that provide millions of dollars? Why aren't we closing down oil wells that provide millions? Why aren't we prosecuting the people we know are sending money in support of terror? How do we stop the flow of arms to terrorist groups? How do we overcome the guerrilla tactics being used against us? And how is victory measured?

There is no end to this kind of holy war, and it kills thousands of people in cafes and at sporting events, taking the lives of moms and dads and kids, terrible deaths that serve no purpose but to add to a body count. That's the kind of war this will be; one that makes people afraid all the time, that makes people not trust anyone, that makes us hate. . . and that's exactly what terrorism strives for.

•••
Watching football was more important.

Sarcasm aside, you are correct. How many people do you think watched football instead of marching in their own neighborhoods? Football was more important; it made people think they were safe in the U.S. That they don't have cafes and an grocery stores and news offices being blown up. Many Americans, if not most, only get involved after something bad happens within our borders. Then we get hysterical and want to kill everyone before even finding out who did what. We get so used to stuff happening to other countries, that it really doesn't carry the emotional weight it should. But that's just the way it is and the way we are.

•••
Someone can keep call this a drivel...that someone will always be a fanatic close minded person who always choose to point his finger at someone else rather than asking himself questions.
Blindness over open mindedness.
That someone is the one who doesn't understand that religions don't have the monopoly of god; that someone needs rituals, procedures and rules to believe; that someone needs to worship something or someone outside of himself.
That someone will never understand the difference between spirituality and religion.

" Religion is often about who’s in and who’s out, creating a worldview steeped in “us against them.” Spirituality rejects this dualism and speaks of us and them. Religion is often about loyalty to institutions, clergy, and rules. Spirituality is about loyalty to justice and compassion. Religion talks about God. Spirituality helps to make us godly. The two need not be at odds. Religion at its best is spirituality in community. "

You can still call it a drivel if you like.

•••
Someone can keep call this a drivel...that someone will always be a fanatic close minded person who always choose to point his finger at someone else rather than asking himself questions.
Blindness over open mindedness.
That someone is the one who doesn't understand that religions don't have the monopoly of god; that someone needs rituals, procedures and rules to believe; that someone needs to worship something or someone outside of himself.
That someone will never understand the difference between spirituality and religion.

" Religion is often about who’s in and who’s out, creating a worldview steeped in “us against them.” Spirituality rejects this dualism and speaks of us and them. Religion is often about loyalty to institutions, clergy, and rules. Spirituality is about loyalty to justice and compassion. Religion talks about God. Spirituality helps to make us godly. The two need not be at odds. Religion at its best is spirituality in community. "

You can still call it a drivel if you like.

It's not drivel, but it's more wishful thinking than realistic. It's an idealist's hope that we can all live in self-satisfying spirituality. Unfortunately, one quick look at history and current events shows the way things really are...and are about to be. There is no "open-mindedness" when it comes to religion. if there were, we would all end up believing the same thing. instead, as you said, it's often about loyalty to institutions, clergy and rules. while spirituality need not be at odds with religion, it currently is. There is no spirituality in violence. It's simply destruction. And maybe some religious people might even believe it is the work of evil. While I don't believe this, I can understand it. Chaos is the unholy state that ends in hell. Maybe this is evil flexing its muscle.

•••
•••
Chaos is really when your wife is away for more than 2 days.
Trust me.

•••
It was a mistake for President Obama not to attend.
He could have at least sent Joe Bidden or preferably John Kerry because he speaks fluent French

•••
Chaos is really when your wife is away for more than 2 days.
Trust me.
LOL, and even worse when she doesn't prepare your bacon for breakfast

•••
•••
•••
In 1999, Islamic art expert Wijdan Ali wrote a scholarly overview of the Muslim tradition of depicting Mohammad. In that essay, Ali demonstrates that the prohibition against depicting Mohammad did not start to arise until as late as the 16th or 17th century, despite the media's continuing false claims that it has always been forbidden for Muslims to draw Mohammad. Until comparatively recently in Islamic history, depictions of Mohammad (especially in Shi'ite areas) continued to be produced.

•••
•••
•••
•••
Sure do, but I wanted to point this out,anyway.

Christ is perfect. A follower isn't perfect simply because his savior is. Calling a spade a spade is the roue to take.Being a hypocrite is just that.

Not much to say about this except that he's a gay priest who's a hypocrite, a liar and possibly a pedophile and should be kicked out of the church. What else is new? Don't you have more interesting news than this?

•••
Sure do, but I wanted to point this out,anyway.

Christ is perfect. A follower isn't perfect simply because his savior is. Calling a spade a spade is the roue to take.Being a hypocrite is just that.
Now give me a controversial news example of the Religion of Peace

•••
•••
Is this an oxymoron?
You keep bringing up examples of Christians, most of the time showing them negatively. Now lets change religions and lets see what you have to say about the Religion of Peace.

•••
Bingo. That's the point.

Christians act Holier-than-thou, as though they are the perfect specimen. Yet they're just as flawed as all other religions.

That's been my point this entire time.

You keep bringing up examples of Christians, most of the time showing them negatively. Now lets change religions and lets see what you have to say about the Religion of Peace.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back