Dynadot

The Quarantine Zone (If you stopped working because of Covid-19)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Ategy

Arif M, NameCult.com TheDomainSocial.comTop Member
Impact
As some of you who follow my daily domains lists already know, I just learned that my place of work is now closed indefinitely. It was overdue as I work in a place that is a non-essential service but extremely at risk to contagion. I'm not in any way upset at the decision (it 100% had to be done for preventative reasons) .. but just in a bit of shock as I'm not sure what to do next.

I still didn't get any details, but I'm up in Canada, and thankfully the Canadian Government has lowered/eliminated the usual 14 day waiting period before unemployment benefits begin, so while I'll be making significantly less revenue than I would be if I still had my job, I'm thankful that my situation is a lot more stable than most people around the world who are or will be affected by Covid-19.

Wondering if anybody else here lost their job because of Covid-19?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I'm Student, extent of this on me, is off next months

Zika, Ebola, Swine Flu, SARS combined didnt have this much of an affect...

Sucks when it affects people you care. You're a good person. Good luck, Ategy!!

Keep us updated!

Samer

Last edited:
•••
Sorry to hear that @Ategy! It is definitely affecting people around the globe, and in Norway, our prime minister have initiated the strongest measures since WW2.

Luckily, I'm in a good position at my work. We're told to work from home when possible, but I will likely be at my workplace during this time - unless something happens to our employees.

I also have a private insurance, which will cover my wages if I lose my job or get sick.

•••
My "real world" job is 100% in person .. no possibility of working from home. Just got an email and it seems we're going to continue to be paid for now .. will probably get a more official decision next week. If/when things do return to normal, my place of work will likely be the very last place to open .. so best case scenario will likely not be going back for at least several months .. otherwise I think this thing will be kicking around even longer.

I'm not too worried .. my knees were telling me it was time to go after 23 years .. and I'll likely find something much more suited to me anyways. Just kinda wanted to figure all that out on my own terms in my own time so I can make the best decision. I'm not too stressed .. pointless to speculate too much until I get official word in the next few days I hope.

•••
My "real world" job is 100% in person .. no possibility of working from home. Just got an email and it seems we're going to continue to be paid for now .. will probably get a more official decision next week. If/when things do return to normal, my place of work will likely be the very last place to open .. so best case scenario will likely not be going back for at least several months .. otherwise I think this thing will be kicking around even longer.

I'm not too worried .. my knees were telling me it was time to go after 23 years .. and I'll likely find something much more suited to me anyways. Just kinda wanted to figure all that out on my own terms in my own time so I can make the best decision. I'm not too stressed .. pointless to speculate too much until I get official word in the next few days I hope.

Just use all this new time you have to organize/optimize your portfolio. You've mentioned that many times in various threads, even taking a stab to do this full time. Now you have the time.

•••
As some of you who follow my daily domains lists already know, I just learned that my place of work is now closed indefinitely. It was overdue as I work in a place that is a non-essential service but extremely at risk to contagion. I'm not in any way upset at the decision (it 100% had to be done for preventative reasons) .. but just in a bit of shock as I'm not sure what to do next.

I still didn't get any details, but I'm up in Canada, and thankfully the Canadian Government has lowered/eliminated the usual 14 day waiting period before unemployment benefits begin, so while I'll be making significantly less revenue than I would be if I still had my job, I'm thankful that my situation is a lot more stable than most people around the world who are or will be affected by Covid-19.

sorry to hear.. well... there is that great internet biz you can consider.. its called domaining.
if ever you wanna check it out.. namepros.com is the best place to start with it.
gl

•••
Just use all this new time you have to organize/optimize your portfolio. You've mentioned that many times in various threads, even taking a stab to do this full time. Now you have the time.

lol .. yup .. that's the plan .. maybe even try a bit of wholesaling. I'm oddly not too stressed out about it .. hasn't really sunk in yet .. even if this is pretty much exactly what I've been predicting for the last several weeks. I'll definitely be able to focus more once I know what's going on with my income situation beyond the next few days.

In the last 24 hours pretty much everything has been shut down here in Montreal. All schools and all social gatherings of 250 people or more cancelled. Since it all happened all at once people are falling over each other at grocery stores for toilet paper. It's pretty sad actually. Looking at what's going on in Italy I'd say all the closures was the smart move from authorities as the numbers here in Canada aren't high .. but they are definitely rising. The short term panic has gone way overboard. Things certainly could be troubling in other countries .. but in Canada there's no real short or medium-term supply issues on food or things like toilet paper. Everyone's going to look like a hero all weekend with all the empty shelves .. but come Tuesday when all the resupplies come in everyone's going to be looking mighty foolish falling over each other for toilet paper! Seriously .. it's Canada .. if there's one thing we're NOT going to run out of it's paper products!

•••
Really sorry to hear that @Ategy - the uncertainty of how long this lasts and under what conditions must add to an already stressful time. Know that your NamePros friends are thinking of you and hope that it returns to normal as soon as possible.

To answer your question...
I am retired so I have no job, well I guess other than caring for grandchildren from time to time and looking after the RRSP type (now RIF) investments which are the form of our "pension" plan. The former is gone as out of an abundance of concern my daughter is protecting me from potentially picking up something from the children, and the latter (investments and what to do) is keeping me awake at night a bit.

I know many have for more serious issues, and thoughts with everyone who is seriously impacted, job or health wise, by the coronavirus pandemic.

Bob

•••

Very sad to hear this. This disease is so serious and it appears the rest of the world are just getting to know it better. They should have monitored China better. China sent doctors and supplies to Italy so they said they made it under control.

I wish you all the best

•••
Extend March Break for schools and postpone travel, use proper safety precautions, maintain decency.

I'm self-isolating from my return trip by air, no symptoms. Used proper precautions and ventilation. Will give myself time, best to be safe. I would like to, but returning to my employer may be problematic. I'll build a distance ed site in the meantime.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back