Dynadot
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
It seems .PRO is slowly coming out of the cage with cheaper reg prices than they were a year ago and major registrars like netsol taking notice of the extension and promoting it. B-)

Here are some that I picked up in last couple of days:

Alexandria.pro

Anchorage.pro

Arlington.pro

Belfast.pro

Birmingham.pro

Budapest.pro

Durham.pro

Fairfax.pro

Italian.pro

Lisbon.pro

Fire away with your regs after the relaunch on September 8th, 2008.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Gasoline

Yesterday I started saving for my next tank of gas.

:ghost:

•••
I sold Bookings.pro to Booking.com for $5,000 this week via a private sale. The WHOIS has been updated and it has been reported to DNJournal. If you recall I sold Booking.pro to Booking.com in November 2009 for 5,000 Euros but they have never updated the registrant details. I offered them Bookings.pro the following month but they didn't respond. In May 2011, I sent another email offering to buy Booking.pro back, a month later they responded and we agreed the sale of Bookings.pro.

•••
•••
Excellent, Andrew!

May I have a sample format of the letter that you send to these end users? :D

•••
Good sales - congrats

I sold Bookings.pro to Booking.com for $5,000 this week via a private sale. The WHOIS has been updated and it has been reported to DNJournal. If you recall I sold Booking.pro to Booking.com in November 2009 for 5,000 Euros but they have never updated the registrant details. I offered them Bookings.pro the following month but they didn't respond. In May 2011, I sent another email offering to buy Booking.pro back, a month later they responded and we agreed the sale of Bookings.pro.

•••
•••
My take on this is that for a .com owner to spend 5K on buying the plural of their keyword in .pro is a sure fire sign of the potential of .Pro
These companies are either safe guarding themselves or looking to expand using the professional extension.

.Pro could be very damaging to a .com if the right company (with a large advertising budget)got ahold of it. As the raw keyword combination of 'anything'.pro implies something better and more reliable.

I'd love to see a company walk in and try that.

nice work andrew. congrats!

Last edited:
•••
My congratulations Andrew!!!
(from 1-st owner of booking.pro))

•••
I don't know much about .pro

•••
rhodes.pro $1,300

saw another sale beyond andrews booking.pro sale for $5,000 on dnjournal.com this week

•••
congrats, Andrew. I noticed you got mentioned by name on dnjournal. :!:

•••
What are .pro registrants going to do about Sedo putting up their fees to 20% at the end of July unless you park a domain and set a fixed price? I am planning to remove all my .pros, I can't stomach paying 20% commission, it's too much. Sedo's customer service is awful and I am fed up with non-paying bidders. I have sold 3 .pros on Sedo and and not received payment, fortunately I went on to re-sell two of them, one for the same price and the other for 3-4 times the price I originally agreed to sell at. 3 buyers bid $6,000 or more for Coupons.pro at Sedo auction in May, the highest bidder didn't pay, the third highest bidder accepted a second chance offer and then didn't pay. And I'm meant to pay $1,200 on a $6,000 sale for that level of service and protection from August.

Last edited:
•••
Sedo fees are:
10% for fixed price + parked
15% for non fixed price + parked
20% for all others

.PRO is now part of the Category 1 domains and only has a $50 min. fee.

While I can understand your frustration with non-paying bidders, I've had my share in the past, you can't really ignore sedo as a sales channel.

And with the total number of .pro registered being less than 100k, don't think Sedo would be too perturbed by any 'action' .pro investors take.

All these new fees have done is to make me increase the asking price at sedo by 10%.

•••
Andrew, why don't we all decide on another better auction site and I'll move all my domains there as well. 20% is stupid and sedo is difficult to search on anyway. We can work towards establishing another auction site for .pros.

I'm not going fixed price on mine. The reason I put all on sedo in the first place was because it seemed like I would get more exposure to the domains, but then they changed the system and it was harder to search for .pro anyway.

Let me know if you find anywhere better. I had thought about developing my own auction site and and letting people use it for free exchanges, but never moved forward on the idea.

•••
Sedo fees are:
10% for fixed price + parked
15% for non fixed price + parked
20% for all others

.PRO is now part of the Category 1 domains and only has a $50 min. fee.

While I can understand your frustration with non-paying bidders, I've had my share in the past, you can't really ignore sedo as a sales channel.

And with the total number of .pro registered being less than 100k, don't think Sedo would be too perturbed by any 'action' .pro investors take.

All these new fees have done is to make me increase the asking price at sedo by 10%.

If you increase your prices by 10%, it reduces the likelihood of you selling a domain. In my experience, buyers on Sedo don't have as much money as direct WHOIS enquiries and are more likely to be individuals than businesses. Their demand for domains is more price elastic than direct WHOIS contacts, i.e. small increases in your price will result in disproportionally fewer sales.

If you had a $1m generic .com with thousands of type ins, would you be willing to set a fixed price and park it at Sedo or hand over $200,000 from the sales proceeds? Firstly, you wouldn't be maximising PPC income and $200,000 is a alot amount of money to hand over when anybody willing to pay $1m for a domain probably knows what they want and will contact you through the WHOIS. Charging 20% commission or forcing people to park will lead to the quality of domains at Sedo, already low in my view, falling even further. That means fewer big spenders watching auctions and surfing and lower prices for sellers.

If you have a brandable .com worth $1,000 to $100,000 depending on the buyer, wouldn't you as a seller like the opportunity to put your key phrase into Google and check to see if an enquiry is likely to be from somebody who has just set up a company with that name or maybe applied for a trademark. Fixed prices hamper your ability to sell a $1,000 domain for $100,000. There are also some domain buyers who are psychologically incapable of paying a fixed price, the only way to make a sale to them is to double the asking price and knock 50% off. Why should Sedo dictate or influence your pricing or selling strategy?

Domainers who have most to gain from Sedo are those with commodity LLL.coms with poor to average letter combinations, they need a Sedo auction with 50-100 bidders to extract maximum value for their domains, in which case 15% or even 20% fees might be money well spent. .pro domainers don't really need Sedo because a minded buyer will probably offer more than a domainer at auction anyway and you could get that offer privately through the WHOIS.

One of most annoying things Sedo did was to stop listing .pros in search results, this has reduced the quantity, if not the quality, of offers I get on my .pros which made Sedo a less valuable sales channel to me even before the doubling of fees. I promote their website by linking my .pros in the Total.pro Pro Shop to the Sedo landing page, thereby costing myself direct sales, and they in turn do their best not to promote my .pros.

Another thing Sedo should consider is alot of domain sellers are also buyers on Sedo. If I pull my domains for sale on Sedo, I won't be on the website watching auctions, plus if I think buyers are going to hike their price by 20% over what they would sell privately for, I will always contact them by email, thereby cutting Sedo out of the loop. The only thing that gets me to bid or buy on Sedo is the 10% fee less the Escrow.com equivalent fee is sometimes worth paying for anonymity and less hassle. At 20% that calculation I do in mind before bidding for a domain on Sedo will fall heavily down on the other side.

Finally, this 20% fee will encourage more websites to copy what Sedo do at 10% and that will be no bad thing for domain buyers and sellers because Sedo aren't that great at what they do. If they took a 10% shadow credit card charge on bids or took at least some non-paying bidders to court, they would stamp out non-paying bidders for starters. For a German company, they are extremely inefficient in my opinion and certainly don't warrant doubling their current 10% fee whether they are the biggest player in the market or not.

Last edited:
•••
I agree with Andrew. Sedo's %20 is too much commission and dictating fixing price is meaningless. Maybe, they are forcing sellers fixing prices for success of their MLS.

Afternic called me yesterday, maybe I should try their DLS. But, I wish someone in this industry fix this gap by providing a niche domain sale platform asap.

•••
I'm convinced and am ready to pull the sedo plug. nice post.

•••
Why should Sedo dictate or influence your pricing or selling strategy?
Coz they have the buyer base and they spend, fairly heavily I might add, to promote their marketplace to Startups and SMEs.

The results? $1 million in sales in a week - http://www.thedomains.com/2011/07/06/sedo-com-sells-1m-in-domains-led-by-jewel-com-for-75k/

certainly don't warrant doubling their current 10% fee whether they are the biggest player in the market or not.
Unless you can build a marketplace to rival Sedo I'm afraid we're at their mercy and they don't look very merciful atm.

Attachments

• shylock.jpg
    shylock.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 68
•••

OK. No more serious posts today. Too gloomy. But I do agree with EVERYthing EVERYone said.

On the lighter and hopefully more prosperous side ...

"In an NPR interview former ICANN Board Chair Esther Dyson commented: "I think it's kind of a useless market," she says, "and if I had $185,000, I'd spend it on something else."

And the new Sedo Terms and Conditions at least imply that .Pro minimum commissions will drop to a more reasonable $50.

"24 more TLDs, including .fr and .it, will benefit from drastically-reduced minimum commissions of 50 USD, rather than the previous 150 USD."

8^X

Last edited:
•••
I'm convinced and am ready to pull the sedo plug. nice post.

Where to from Sedo? I was looking at some Afternic information yesterday but it's been a long time since I've listed anything with them.

And is Afternic already in the Sedo network?

8^X

•••
That's just one particular keyword sir, imho. As an extension, don't see anything that would 'beat' .pro in that sense. The association of .pro with 'professional usage' is just too strong. .CO is a ccTLD, plus it's a different kettle of fish.

It also works as a typo of .com / .co.uk / .co.jp / .co.in ad nausaeam.

Typo.co ........ Sounds good ........ But if I was looking for some good typos I would definitely go with Typo.pro. :bah:

8^X

•••
What are .pro registrants going to do about Sedo putting up their fees to 20% at the end of July unless you park a domain and set a fixed price? I am planning to remove all my .pros, I can't stomach paying 20% commission, it's too much. Sedo's customer service is awful and I am fed up with non-paying bidders. I have sold 3 .pros on Sedo and and not received payment, fortunately I went on to re-sell two of them, one for the same price and the other for 3-4 times the price I originally agreed to sell at. 3 buyers bid $6,000 or more for Coupons.pro at Sedo auction in May, the highest bidder didn't pay, the third highest bidder accepted a second chance offer and then didn't pay. And I'm meant to pay $1,200 on a $6,000 sale for that level of service and protection from August.

I'm also interested in another sales channel besides Sedo, especially one where there would be someone actively seeking buyers for the domains and brokering for the best prices. If anyone knows of something that fits the bill, let me know.

•••
If anyone knows of something that fits the bill, let me know.

Total.pro

So Andrew, you going to open up a section on your site to allow us to list our .pros? :p

I'm sure we'd all be happy to have a dedicated sales channel for .pro :)

•••
So Andrew, you going to open up a section on your site to allow us to list our .pros? :p

Great Idea! I have no problem paying 10% on any sales there!

•••
Nexus.pro would be a great name for .pro domain market place. :D

The problem isn't setting up another medium to sell dotPROs but registrypro doing enough to market the damn thing to businesses, registrars and end users. They aren't.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back