Dynadot
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
It seems .PRO is slowly coming out of the cage with cheaper reg prices than they were a year ago and major registrars like netsol taking notice of the extension and promoting it. B-)

Here are some that I picked up in last couple of days:

Alexandria.pro

Anchorage.pro

Arlington.pro

Belfast.pro

Birmingham.pro

Budapest.pro

Durham.pro

Fairfax.pro

Italian.pro

Lisbon.pro

Fire away with your regs after the relaunch on September 8th, 2008.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
facts.pro/whois/result.php?domain=sex.pro

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
I never remember seeing *ex.pro being auctioned off, and IMHO I'd like to see adult names be blocked, if only because it's unprofessional. This is what the registry should worry about and not waste time with registration restrictions.

•••
I never remember seeing *ex.pro being auctioned off, and IMHO I'd like to see adult names be blocked, if only because it's unprofessional. This is what the registry should worry about and not waste time with registration restrictions.

Yes.

LONG before 3characters were made available, I asked the guy how he got sexdotpro and his answer wasn't satisfactory nor was it in a polite tone. :td:

•••
It looks like this was the first time the registrant had renewed *ex.pro post-Encira because I don't remember seeing CGR Ecommerce Ltd in the WHOIS before. Presumably, RegistryPro dragged their feet approving the verification or the registrant didn't renew on time which is why the domain was 12 days past expiry when it got renewed. When I started buying .pros in 2007, it was probably the only premium .pro I didn't try to buy. The keyword doesn't fit the extension and if it was developed RegistryPro could take the site down. There must be some back story to how it got registered in the first place, I have always assumed it was either an error on RegistryPro's part or a PR stunt.

Last edited:
•••
If I recall he filed a trademark claim during the sunrise period and was able to use that to secure the three letter name. This might actual be the trademark filing:

SEX.PRO
Serial Number: 78035833
Registration Number: (NOT AVAILABLE)
Filing Date: November 17, 2000
Abandonment Date: October 01, 2005
Goods and Services: IC 035. Business administration; providing accounting services; providing information in the field of accounting

http://www.trademarks411.com/marks/78035833-sex-pro

It looks like this was the first time the registrant had renewed *ex.pro post-Encira because I don't remember seeing CGR Ecommerce Ltd in the WHOIS before. Presumably, RegistryPro dragged their feet approving the verification or the registrant didn't renew on time which is why the domain was 12 days past expiry when it got renewed. When I started buying .pros in 2007, it was probably the only premium .pro I didn't try to buy. The keyword doesn't fit the extension and if it was developed RegistryPro could take the site down. There must be some back story to how it got registered in the first place, I have always assumed it was either an error on RegistryPro's part or a PR stunt.

•••
it's interesting that someone can file a trademark on a generic word like that.

•••
it's interesting that someone can file a trademark on a generic word like that.

TESS shows over 1500 basic Word Marks / Trademarks with "that word", all generic as far as I checked anyway. There are many common phrases that are Trademarked. But from the TM holder's perspective, it's difficult to prove Trademark infringement. The burden is on the owner of the mark. Take a look at this site and you'll see what I mean. This guy won his case against the big boys.

NyukNyukNyuk

Gotta love it.

8^X

•••
Story from AP today written by Joelle Tessler, Washington ...

Internet Braces for the Not-Com Revolution

I guess ICANN is meeting today in Singapore. It looks like all of the proposed new extensions could potentially generate so many lawsuits that it will never make it out of the courts. Taking the article at face value I would conclude that the benefits of all of these new extensions are going to be far outweighed by the trouble they're going to present.

Here's a link from my local paper.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/06/20/1285160/internet-braces-for-the-not-com.html

8^X

Last edited:
•••
Doesn't mention .pro so whats the use?

This is the time for registrypro to lift existing lame restrictions and market the crap out of .pro otherwise it will lag behind other extension and the new ones and eventually die out.

•••
Story from AP today written by Joelle Tessler, Washington ...

Internet Braces for the Not-Com Revolution

I guess ICANN is meeting today in Singapore. It looks like all of the proposed new extensions could potentially generate so many lawsuits that it will never make it out of the courts. Taking the article at face value I would conclude that the benefits of all of these new extensions are going to be far outweighed by the trouble they're going to present.

Here's a link from my local paper.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/06/20/1285160/internet-braces-for-the-not-com.html

8^X

Interesting to note that the president of Encirca will be at this conference and a member of the ICANN panel for new TLDS.

http://www.encirca.com/domain-news/2011/encirca-president-serving-on-icann-panel-for-new-gtlds/

•••
This is the time for registrypro to lift existing lame restrictions and market the crap out of .pro
Agree with the lifiting the restrictions bit, sadly its not in the hands of registry.pro but of ICANN, but with the new gTLD initiative, this is very likely to happen.

otherwise it will lag behind other extension and the new ones and eventually die out.
This is pure speculation, to put it politely.

Can you name even one extension that would / could compete with and beat .pro from any of these: http://www.mwzd.com/domains/newtld-guide/

•••
It will be 18 months to two years before any new extensions are released ... and ICANN just punched a hole in a huge hornet's nest because the lawsuits will start flying first thing in the morning.

8^X

•••
This is pure speculation, to put it politely.

Can you name even one extension that would / could compete with and beat .pro from any of these: http://www.mwzd.com/domains/newtld-guide/

Well, .CO is doing pretty good in sales.

As of the new ones, it is pure speculation on my part. However, I am not sure if you are heating business in Moscow, would you rather want heating.Moscow / Heat.moscow or heating.pro / heat.pro? Which one has better chance in search engines? heating.moscow is more like it.

Many of the new extensions are just dumb... surprised, they don't have .Movie

•••
That's just one particular keyword sir, imho.

As an extension, don't see anything that would 'beat' .pro in that sense.

The association of .pro with 'professional usage' is just too strong.

.CO is a ccTLD, plus it's a different kettle of fish.

It also works as a typo of .com / .co.uk / .co.jp / .co.in ad nausaeam.

•••
Doesn't mention .pro so whats the use?

Didn't mention most gTLD's. I doubt that's going to make or break any extension.

8^X

---------- Post added at 06:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:02 PM ----------

Well, .CO is doing pretty good in sales.

To date .CO is falling on its face when put into use. Note Overstock.com. They're now offering incentives to customers who will use O.co.

8^X

•••
Didn't mention most gTLD's. I doubt that's going to make or break any extension.

8^X

---------- Post added at 06:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:02 PM ----------

To date .CO is falling on its face when put into use. Note Overstock.com. They're now offering incentives to customers who will use O.co.

8^X

Well, at least they are USING it. Its a new extension so it will take some time to catch on.

Why didn't they go for o.pro or Overstock.pro?

•••
Well o.pro would have saved their customers the .confusion with .com!

•••
Well, at least they are USING it. Its a new extension so it will take some time to catch on.

Why didn't they go for o.pro or Overstock.pro?

My point is that they are NOT using it. Overstock is almost to the point that they don't even mention it in their commercials.

Where are all of these dot COs that have been purchased? Overstock is the one and only company that I have seen use the dot Co extension in any form of advertising, or in any form at all.

Their big problem is going to be establishing a line between Com and Co. If their goal was to make a revolutionary change in the industry and compete with dot Com, I don't think they should have chosen an extension that looks like a typo.

8^X

Last edited:
•••
I had been watching Wind.pro and made a stab at it, but Encirca never let it drop. I've been watching it for 2 months just stay in Encirca's name and landing page. I inquired and they said they are sending it to auction.

I really wanted to develop that name, I think it'd be an amazing name for green wind energy!

•••
•••
•••
RegistryPro would have more success selling their registry services if they could demonstrate a decent track record with .pro. That includes selling through big registrars like Godaddy, developing a commercially viable business model that makes money, building brand recognition with entrepreneurs and developers, and growing the number of domains registered.

•••
I'm not very knowledgable of the inner workings of the domain industry so I tend to read other people's spin on what the future holds for the new extensions. I do think that so much is going to evolve and dissolve between now and the rollout that at this point it seems to be mostly a conversation piece or a mental exercise. Debate, debate, debate until the cows come home. That's what we're in for.

I did think that this article was interesting.

http://dannosblog.com/2011-06/new-top-level-domain-extentions-or-just-top-level-sub-domains/

But before you leave, I ran across someone talking about Overstock.com and O.co. Actually it's at the bottom of the article above, and they mentioned Oakland Coliseum and Overstock.com's implementation of their new "shortcut", O.co. The point was that the first thing that comes to mind when you see their new, expensive sign on the side of the Coliseum is "Holy cow, they left the M off of COM." You can see the sign at this link.

http://dannosblog.com/2011-06/overstock-com-unveils-o-co-coliseum/

8^X

•••
all this geo talk must have gotten to me.

istanbul.pro - got it!

•••
all this geo talk must have gotten to me.

istanbul.pro - got it!

A few years ago I was having a few sites built and as a little added incentive I gave the guy a Geo.Pro. And it was a "Nice" Geo.Pro. I'm too embarrassed to even say the name so I'll just say it's the largest city in the world.

But hey, I still have Hanoi ... number 72. :sick: And I just found another one at the bottom of my sack. Lizard Lick.com.
Now I feel better.

8^X

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back