Dynadot
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Who is to Blame for the Troubled US Economy?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Both Parties

votes
    44.7%
  • Neither Party

votes
    9.5%
  • Democrats

votes
    22.3%
  • Republicans

votes
    23.5%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Impact
Here you can spout your USA political views.

Rules:
1. Keep it clean
2. No fighting
3. Respect the views of others.
4. US Political views, No Religious views
5. Have fun :)

:wave:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Veteran pulls of a huge publicity stunt to contradict the liberal narrative and now he'll be accused of everything from kicking dogs to robbing piggy banks.

Hmm. Interesting response.

You donated, yes?

•••
DwwxO1TW0AArZyj

•••
50064357_2301471213198795_454938724292100096_n.jpg

Note that that says "SENSIBLE gun laws", not "Take away all the guns." We can do better.
If that were only true...

The problem is that with each new "sensible gun law", "they" then come back and try to pass additional "sensible laws" that restrict the rights of law abiding gun owners even further. Just ask any law abiding gun owner in NY, CA, NJ, MD, etc... Every year additional restrictive laws are written, with many of them passing and going in to law.

There are probably several thousand Californians (at least) that have no idea they are now criminals because of laws that went in to effect the last couple of years even though they and their guns were perfectly legal 18 months ago -- and had been legal for XX+ years prior.

Criminals and crazy people do not abide by the word of law, so how exactly will restricting the rights of law abiding citizens prevent the crazies and criminals from having and using guns?

Look at how well all our drug laws have worked, how much money they have made for criminals, and how many people that have spent time in jail for pot offenses.

I'm thinking we need to spend a lot more on mental health and enforcing the laws for violent criminals that are already on the books!

Last edited:
•••
ABC News' Jonathan Karl on Mueller's upcoming report: "People who are closest to what Mueller has been doing, interacting with the special counsel, caution me that this report is almost certain to be anti-climactic."

•••
Hmm. Interesting response.

You donated, yes?

No. Did you really think he was going to raise a $1,000,000,000? There are only 350 million people living in the USA.

BTW, have you hear from your friends about Dr Fraud's new home? Is it nice? Did she have a second front door installed?

Last edited:
•••
If that were only true...

The problem is that with each new "sensible gun law", "they" then come back and try to pass additional "sensible laws" that restrict the rights of law abiding gun owners even further. Just ask any law abiding gun owner in NY, CA, NJ, MD, etc... Every year additional restrictive laws are written, with many of them passing and going in to law.

There are probably several thousand Californians (at least) that have no idea they are now criminals because of laws that went in to effect the last couple of years even though they and their guns were perfectly legal 18 months ago -- and had been legal for XX+ years prior.

Criminals and crazy people do not abide by the word of law, so how exactly will restricting the rights of law abiding citizens prevent the crazies and criminals from having and using guns?

Look at how well all our drug laws have worked, how much money they have made for criminals, and how many people that have spent time in jail for pot offenses.

I'm thinking we need to spend a lot more on mental health and enforcing the laws for violent criminals that are already on the books!
I do know some law abiding gun owners in ny and nj - none them complaining...
A few thoughts:
- More comprehensive background checks
- domestic violence needs to be a big red flag - possibly banning ownership on a case by case basis.
- Parents should be held responsible if their kid gets a hold of their gun and kills someone.
- The more paranoid will disagree but I don’t think the average gun owner needs assault weapons. I’m ok with limited civilian ownership, but set the bar for it higher than let’s say, for a hunting rifle.

Some criminals will get a hold of guns illegally, so will some mentally ill, but why make it easy for them?

Agree with better detection and treatment of mental illness, especially in the schools. We aren’t doing very well identifying and addressing the at risk kids.

At any rate “thoughts and prayers” aren’t cutting it. No perfect answers.

Last edited:
•••
Trump is getting cabin fever:

So sorry to hear the news about Jeff Bozo being taken down by a competitor whose reporting, I understand, is far more accurate than the reporting in his lobbyist newspaper, the Amazon Washington Post. Hopefully the paper will soon be placed in better & more responsible hands!
8:45 PM - 13 Jan 2019
Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump

If Elizabeth Warren, often referred to by me as Pocahontas did this commercial from Bighorn or Wounded Knee instead of her kitchen, with her husband dressed in full Indian garb, it would have been a smash!
Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump 6m6 minutes ago

-------------
All signs point the same way: Vladimir Putin has compromising information on Donald Trump
https://www.usatoday.com/story/opin...n-compromising-information-column/2564892002/

Trump has concealed details of his face-to-face encounters with Putin from senior officials in administration
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...ory.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.8695d56c30ff

Trump’s disapproval rating higher since shutdown began: poll
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump’s-disapproval-rating-higher-since-shutdown-began-poll/ar-BBSbDx8?li=BBnbfcL

BBS6WGl.img

BBS6WEs.img

Last edited:
•••
If Elizabeth Warren, often referred to by me as Pocahontas did this commercial from Bighorn or Wounded Knee instead of her kitchen, with her husband dressed in full Indian garb, it would have been a smash!
[sarcasm]That comment should be a BIG hit with the native American population. [/sarcasm]

Funny that when Pirro asked him if he ever worked with / for Russia he never said "No." Just went on a big runaround about how the questions hurt his feefees. :rolleyes:

We live in interesting times...

Last edited:
•••
...The more paranoid will disagree but I don’t think the average gun owner needs assault weapons...
And that is one of the biggest problems. The anti-gun folks keep trying to change the "definition" of what an "assault weapon" is. Every time they (try to) create a "definition" for what constitutes an "assault weapon", gun owners adapt their weapons so they can continue to own and use them, yet the anti-gun legislators come back and try to redefine them again.

By the way, if it's the "rapid fire" of a semi-auto that concerns you, then take a look at the video below. The gentleman in it can fire all the rounds in a revolver faster than most people can get off a couple of rounds with a semi-automatic -- PLUS he actually hits where he is shooting with every bullet. So should we now restrict the lowly revolver because some people can shoot it faster than most people can shoot a semi auto???

Skip to about 7:15 mark to see his skills.

Booze kills TWICE as many people each year as guns, but I don't see a lot of people clamoring to add any more laws restricting it...

https://www.niaaa.nih.gov/alcohol-health/overview-alcohol-consumption/alcohol-facts-and-statistics

Alcohol-Related Deaths:
  • An estimated 88,0008 people (approximately 62,000 men and 26,000 women) die from alcohol-related causes annually, making alcohol the third leading preventable cause of death in the United States. The first is tobacco, and the second is poor diet and physical inactivity.
  • In 2014, alcohol-impaired driving fatalities accounted for 9,967 deaths (31 percent of overall driving fatalities).

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/18/us/gun-deaths.html

Nearly 40,000 People Died From Guns in U.S. Last Year, Highest in 50 Years

Personally, I wouldn't miss booze one bit if it was completely outlawed tomorrow.

Last edited:
•••
A few thoughts:
- domestic violence needs to be a big red flag - possibly banning ownership on a case by case basis.
- Parents should be held responsible if their kid gets a hold of their gun and kills someone.
- The more paranoid will disagree but I don’t think the average gun owner needs assault weapons. I’m ok with limited civilian ownership, but set the bar for it higher than let’s say, for a hunting rifle.

Some criminals will get a hold of guns illegally, so will some mentally ill, but why make it easy for them?

Agree with better detection and treatment of mental illness, e
A few thoughts:

Agree with better detection and treatment of mental illness, especially in the schools. We aren’t doing very well identifying and addressing the at risk kids.

At any rate “thoughts and prayers” aren’t cutting it. No perfect answers.

I agree , I have had my CHL in Texas since 1996, I have an adult record of 7 arrests, but all were misdemeanors not related to family violence, or violent crime, theft or any of that shit, as the years have gone by, and I renew my CHL, the regulations have gotten more stringent, and people can not hide arrests or have ever been under investigation by federal authorities. if a person has been institutionalized for a mental reason, they will find it. if a person is currently under mental health care and on medications, they will find that.

there have been very very many applications turned down in Texas for those very reasons, and people lying on their application.

So the scanning process has gotten more stringent since CHL began here in Tx, I agree with the stringent process so that all bases are covered for the safety of the citizens.

Assault weapons? well, they are military grade weapons, so they can only be used for two things, collecting or killing, I have mixed feelings on assault weapons being banned, my reasoning is if they ban assault weapons, will that be the beginning of all firearm bans, I highly doubt it, but the NRA will fight that ban tooth and nail.

Last edited:
•••
...there have been very very many applications turned down in Texas for those very reasons, and people lying on their application.

Unfortunately...

Banned gun buyers beat background checks -- and are rarely prosecuted when caught
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/jun/4/banned-gun-buyers-beat-background-checks-are-rarel/

Most people trying to buy a gun illegally are never prosecuted, U.S. Senator Kelly Ayotte says
https://www.politifact.com/new-hamp...eople-trying-buy-gun-illegally-us-senator-ke/

Gun form liars may go on to commit gun crimes, internal ATF research suggests
https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/21/us/gun-form-liars-atf-invs/index.html

Lying to buy a gun? Don’t worry about the feds.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2018/09/11/lying-buy-gun-fear-not-feds/?noredirect=on

•••
Unfortunately...

Banned gun buyers beat background checks -- and are rarely prosecuted when caught
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/jun/4/banned-gun-buyers-beat-background-checks-are-rarel/

Most people trying to buy a gun illegally are never prosecuted, U.S. Senator Kelly Ayotte says
https://www.politifact.com/new-hamp...eople-trying-buy-gun-illegally-us-senator-ke/

Gun form liars may go on to commit gun crimes, internal ATF research suggests
https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/21/us/gun-form-liars-atf-invs/index.html

Lying to buy a gun? Don’t worry about the feds.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2018/09/11/lying-buy-gun-fear-not-feds/?noredirect=on

A lot of that true, some, not so much, When the "Brady Bill" was put into law, there were loopholes, Today not really, if a person walks into a local store to purchase a firearm, provided they are using their own personal information, the information is taken by phone by the FBI and they can nail down a person trying to cheat the system with quickness, now that is if the person is actually using their SS# and state ID.

Criminals will always be able to obtain guns, that will never be stopped, just like the war on drugs will never be successful, IMO

•••
A lot of that true, some, not so much, When the "Brady Bill" was put into law, there were loopholes, Today not really, if a person walks into a local store to purchase a firearm, provided they are using their own personal information, the information is taken by phone by the FBI and they can nail down a person trying to cheat the system with quickness, now that is if the person is actually using their SS# and state ID.

Criminals will always be able to obtain guns, that will never be stopped, just like the war on drugs will never be successful, IMO
Those articles are less than a year old.

My point is, virtually none of the prohibited people that attempt to buy "legally" by going through "the process" are being prosecuted for it. It seems 10-21% of those people then go on to commit crimes involving guns.

Last edited:
•••
virtually none of the prohibited people that attempt to buy "legally" by going through "the process" are being prosecuted for it. It seems 10-21% of those people then go on to commit crimes involving guns.

Well that’s a problem...

The rapid firing guy was impressive, but he’s an outlier. Weapons designed to shoot a large # of rounds in a short period of time enable the average person to do a lot of damage.

Moving the goal posts that define assault weapons is also a problem.

I’d be open to the idea of a special license for some civilians to have them, with more stringent requirements for ownership. Details tbd, but if you can convincingly demonstrate that you have a reason to have one and that you have a very low probability of ever being a danger to anyone with it I’d probably be ok with that.

Like any other type of security, nothing is 100%. But your success rate improves if you remove the low hanging fruit and make it more difficult.

The NRA has been very quiet lately. Too busy worrying about Maria Butina’s guilty plea and whether they’ll have to come up with sources for that $30 million they gave 45’s 2016 campaign.

Last edited:
•••
..The rapid firing guy was impressive, but he’s an outlier....
First off, most gun related deaths are a result of handguns -- and most gun deaths are suicides.So how does these facts result in further regulation of "assault weapons"?

(And it seems more people are killed by blunt force or knives/cutting objects than by rifles.)

And second off, criminals and crazies are the outliers of gun owners overall -- by an INCREDIBLY MASSIVE HUGE margin!

Why should millions of law abiding gun owners need to have further regulation forced upon them because people that aren't going to obey ANY laws any way are going to do bad things with guns? Where is the logic in that?

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u....016/tables/expanded-homicide-data-table-4.xls
(There may be newer stats but I was in a hurry.)

Great article!
https://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/14/sunday-review/the-assault-weapon-myth.html

Last edited:
•••
•••
Why should millions of law abiding gun owners need to have further regulation forced upon them because people that aren't going to obey ANY laws any way are going to do bad things with guns? Where is the logic in that?

Suicides are a different matter. I’m talking about homicides. Specifically mass homicides, like school shootings or Vegas.

Raising the bar. Removing the low hanging fruit. Making it more difficult.

I don’t pretend to be an expert on firearm stats. I do have some street cred in information security and computer crime, so let me make an analogy:

First of all, there is no such thing as a perfectly secure system. Closest you’ll ever get to it is if you build a fortified structure, put the computer in it, remove it from the network(s), and destroy all access to the facility.

Pretty darned secure, but not practical.

So the name of the game is “risk management”. What steps can we take to lower the risk of our data or systems being compromised?

Nothing is 100% foolproof, but each layer we put in place makes it less likely that the system will be compromised. And that’s how it’s done,

Raise the bar. Remove the low hanging fruit. Rinse and repeat.

I’m looking at the mass homicide issue from a risk manager standpoint. What weapons were used and would the results have been different with a different weapon? What were the characteristics and motives of the perpetrators? How did they obtain the weapons? What differences could have have positively affected the outcome?? How do we lower the risk?

If someone doesn’t have criminal connections - no criminal history, law abiding family, no friends with connections - right off the bat it’s harder for them to get a weapon illegally. Most of these troubled kids don’t have a lot of friends. Sure, you can go on the internet, but where? How do you know you’re not walking into a police sting? Chances are you’re leaving a trail of activity too. The more you advertise your intent, the greater chance someone will see it and say something.

(Obviously if sale of weapons online is the weak link, law enforcement needs to step up efforts there.)

Countries that increased regulation on gun ownership (Australia) saw gun homicide rates go down. Ours are currently pretty bad. Start somewhere.

As I said, there is no 100% solution. But is your not being inconvenienced more important than someone’s life?

Doing nothing isn’t working.

Last edited:
•••
So the name of the game is “risk management”. What steps can we take to lower the risk of our data or systems being compromised?
Nothing is 100% foolproof, but each layer we put in place makes it less likely that the system will be compromised. And that’s how it’s done,

Raise the bar. Remove the low hanging fruit. Rinse and repeat.
I’m looking at the mass homicide issue from a risk manager standpoint.

A case study in how to focus on the minutiae while ignoring the larger issue. All of that work to maybe cut murders by a few percent, if at all. But no consideration given to the larger social forces at work that drive the murder rate. Because that would call into question the current social/political agenda of the left.

It's evident that the control of guns is a peripheral issue. With 3d printing and other technologies coming to the masses, it's also yesterday's piecemeal approach to tomorrow's problems. People will soon have access to a massive array of weapons worse than most of us want to think about.

To really put a dent in the violence, focus on why people are killing rather than their method of choice. I put the destruction of family, morals and society as one cause, the abuse of drugs (prescribed or otherwise) as another, the relative values assigned to fame and wealth as promoted by the media as yet another. None of these will be addressed of course, because they conflict with powerful interests and because much of the populace is too well trained to ever question anything important.

"Countries that increased regulation on gun ownership (Australia) saw gun homicide rates go down." That's a pretty meaningless statement. If we increased regulations on rope, fewer people would hang themselves as well. Murder has not gone down dramatically, not that Australia had a huge murder rate to begin with. But now the government has a monopoly on gun violence. The heavily armed Swiss aren't all shooting each other. But that's because they maintain some semblance of a culture.

The whole gun debate is boring and soon to be obsolete.

Last edited:
•••
Truth.

Those articles are less than a year old.

My point is, virtually none of the prohibited people that attempt to buy "legally" by going through "the process" are being prosecuted for it. It seems 10-21% of those people then go on to commit crimes involving guns.

•••
•••
•••
Daily dose. Orange man bad!

Trump is getting cabin fever:

So sorry to hear the news about Jeff Bozo being taken down by a competitor whose reporting, I understand, is far more accurate than the reporting in his lobbyist newspaper, the Amazon Washington Post. Hopefully the paper will soon be placed in better & more responsible hands!
8:45 PM - 13 Jan 2019

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump 6m6 minutes ago

-------------
All signs point the same way: Vladimir Putin has compromising information on Donald Trump
https://www.usatoday.com/story/opin...n-compromising-information-column/2564892002/

Trump has concealed details of his face-to-face encounters with Putin from senior officials in administration
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...ory.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.8695d56c30ff

Trump’s disapproval rating higher since shutdown began: poll
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump’s-disapproval-rating-higher-since-shutdown-began-poll/ar-BBSbDx8?li=BBnbfcL

BBS6WGl.img

BBS6WEs.img

Last edited:
•••
•••
AP fact check: Trump says he hasn’t left White House in ‘months.’ Actually, he has.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politi...nt-left-white-house-in-months-actually-he-has

------------------------
Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul is going to Canada for surgery

Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul, one of the fiercest political critics of socialized medicine, will travel to Canada later this month to get hernia surgery.

Paul, an ophthalmologist, said the operation is related to an injury in 2017 when his neighbor, Rene Boucher, attacked him while Paul was mowing his lawn. The incident left Kentucky's junior senator with six broken ribs and a bruised lung.

https://www.courier-journal.com/sto...ttack-senator-have-surgery-canada/2568200002/

-----------

Nancy and Cryin’ Chuck can end the Shutdown in 15 minutes. At this point it has become their, and the Democrats, fault!
7:26 AM - 14 Jan 2019

Dw39OSMWwAAFstM.jpg

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back