Dynadot

registries The mystery of credit.club uncovered

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

vivaldi

Nothing personalTop Member
Impact
"Out of the blue there was reported that someone just hand registered credit.club a few days ago"

"Even though the buyer just had been tweeting to .club, been at Namescon promoting his very own service on how you work with Wordpress and how to make it successful, it was still seen as lack of proof. "One of their team did attend my wife and my WP talks and we ran into them at the booth later in the conference where I funny enough, found out about startup.club" the new owner told the users at the forum however he still denied any thing other than that he had only registered it for $10.99 at Name.com."

Read more here.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Oh, poor guy. So you sat here and actually talked to Bruce, and finally accepted the facts as true? What stopped you from doing so BEFORE you wrote that silly tinfoil hat story then?

To respond in kind, if you had any problems with my coverage of the news you could have contacted me privately.
So I'm poor now as well? Ok... Keep em coming, again feel free to contact me for any personal issues you have with me and we can continue that chat in private.

•••
Yes, it's comical that six figure domains are actually sold: coffee.club, wine.club, vodka.club - some under wraps.

One might have their own opinion on gTLDs etc. that's not the point here.
The perceived value (based on the initial price point) and the fact that it was hand registered is the sole reason for the attention.

Who cares about a few 6 figure, registry direct sales? Has nothing to do with .club values...

•••
Keith, as I said, the issue here is the disbelief of some that someone got lucky enough to register it by hand. If you don't like .CLUB, that's fine by me. I don't own a single one, but I'm open-minded in the sense that gTLDs have a use and a market for others. Instead of having no options, I am all for having many options.

Vivaldi - I have no issues with you other than the way you attempted to portray my coverage of this registration. I have no desire to chit chat about your day, so have a good one.

•••
Credit.pub is still available for only $24.99!!

Credit.pub....a place for all the members of the Credit.club to grab beers after their meetings.

•••
One might have their own opinion on gTLDs etc. that's not the point here. The argument is over the legitimacy of the hand registration.

It's a legit registration, you can see the screenshot.

It happened on the 14th, the last day of the conference. People are wondering if there was any wink, wink, hey Bruce (from .club registry) why not try hand registering that keyword later on. It just so happens to be an area he's familiar with. Site went up quick, content, logo, everything. I'm sure .club is happy it's not just some parked page but a site. It could be considered good marketing, I'm sure people are going back and trying keywords again. So it's very natural to be skeptical, especially with a keyword like that. One that might be checked on a daily basis.

But they've both posted about it and gave their explanations, still more coming from the registry how it happened.

As far as taking the word from somebody because they're professional (registry), to do that automatically would make somebody a kind of gullible person. Their job is to sell, get publicity etc. I don't put marketing stunts past any of them.

Last edited:
•••
Keith, as I said, the issue here is the disbelief of some that someone got lucky enough to register it by hand. If you don't like .CLUB, that's fine by me. I don't own a single one, but I'm open-minded in the sense that gTLDs have a use and a market for others. Instead of having no options, I am all for having many options.

Vivaldi - I have no issues with you other than the way you attempted to portray my coverage of this registration. I have no desire to chit chat about your day, so have a good one.

Added different views and opinions to your coverage that's all. The startup.club cache data were pretty relevant to the case. Not a fan about chit chat either but prefer a one on one conversation and not bashing out in public forums if there is any personal dispute. Neither you, me or anyone else benefit from that.

•••
no idea what happened but .club can take it back if they want. this has happened many times already. registry released reserved domains on accident, takes them back.

•••
If no bashing was intended, then you need to revise your statements about "sponsors" etc. Thanks.

•••
Yes, the circumstances, and timing of a startup.club name being dropped, are highly unusual.

Let .club answer to their present, and future shareholders, in regards to losing an asset that was listed for sale 2 weeks ago for $200,000 on startup.club

In the meantime guys there are about 900+ more Credit.Whatever coming, this is a very tough industry to break into. Anyone can go with Credit.World, Credit.Network, Credit.Site, Credit.Team, Credit.Trust, Credit.Pay, Credit.Room, Credit.Safe, Credit.Search, Credit.Security, Credit.Stream, Credit.Studio, Credit.Box, Credit.Dot, Credit.Earth, Credit.Family, Credit.Fit, Credit.Free, Credit.Forum, Credit.Lifestyle, Credit.Loan, Credit.Inc, Credit.Map, Credit.Home, Credit.Group

So this is just to name a few, I mean in 6 months you will be drowning in GTLD's, and anyone will be able to start a Credit.Whatever on anything they want. There is no guarantee of success based on a single GTLD, there are many barriers to entry still when building such a financial based site.

I mean .club is at 162K registrations x $5 the registry probably gets after fees = that is about $800K in revenue, not including premium sales. They are most likely touching close to $7M at least in expenses this year, including their $3.5M announced marketing budget. They probably paid $5M for the rights to .club alone, so you can see this is not an easy road ahead.

You are not going to solve anything, whatever happend, happend, just time to move on, if you guys are not happy with .club, and this situation, well ignore the extension, and focus on the hundreds of others.

•••
The official response from Colin at .Club that is posted elsewhere on Namepros. I appreciate them being a very stand up company and look forward to representing the extension well online.

As promised below are the facts and analysis conducted by Jonathan Frost, our in-house attorney.

Facts:

· The Operations Department, which manages Company domain name registrations, planned a transfer of <CREDIT.CLUB>, along with 130 other domain names, on 2015-01-13 as part of the Company’s Startup.club promotional program.

· On 2015-01-13T20:11:40, the Operations Department removed <CREDIT.CLUB> from the registry-reserve in order to register it as part of the Company’s Startup.club promotional program.

· Between 2015-01-13T20:11:40 and 2015-01-14T21:51:25 (25 hours, 49 minutes, and 45 seconds), the status of <CREDIT.CLUB> was unregistered and unreserved. At that time, the Operations Department did not have knowledge that the registration had failed. It is not clear whether the failed registration was a result of human error or system error.

· At 2015-01-14T21:51:25, a registrant (the “Registrant”) using domain privacy, without the knowledge of the Company, registered the domain <CREDIT.CLUB> at Name.com.

Analysis:

a) Mistaken Registration

The Registrant’s registration of <CREDIT.CLUB> on January 14, 2015 was due to a mistake made by the registry. The mistaken nature of the registration is clear as the domain name was publicly advertised as being a premium domain name in the Startup.club program and the Operations Department documented its plan to register the domain name to a Company subsidiary for promotional purposes. However, on January 13, 2015, when the Operations Department attempted to register <CREDIT.CLUB>, the registration failed, and the failure was not detected at the time.

b) Right to Rescind

The Registration Agreement between Name.com and the Registrant, the RRA between Name.com and the Company, and the Registry Terms and Policies all contemplate registrations that occur as a result of a mistake by the registry, and the registry may rescind such registrations.

c) Conclusion

Thus, it is within the Company’s contractual rights to cancel the registration for <CREDIT.CLUB>.

Further to his analysis and conclusions I can personally state that no one in .CLUB had any conversations regarding credit.club with the registrant at or before the registration of credit.club.

The registry does not believe it is in our best interest nor the best interest of the registrant to pull the name back given the substantial investment in time and money he has invested to launch credit.club. I informed the registrant of such matters and wish him a continued success.

•••
I will say that the whole thing is very suspect. This kind of situation has happened before numerous times with new TLDs and the registry has used the right to rescind without batting an eye.

It's almost expected for a registry to pull back a valuable name that they did not intend to sell for reg fee.

However, in this situation they chose not to do that.

Chalking it up to 'since money was invested into development' is insulting to anyones intelligence. I think if .CLUB were to rescind the domain it would be better than to just chalk it up to an error.

How do the six figure buyers of .CLUB domains feel about this? - Now that would be an excellent article if their feedback hasn't been documented yet.

Cheers to the registrant, but I think for the long term if .CLUB took this one back they would be doing themselves a favor; even if that meant taking a lawsuit/settlement on the chin.

In my opinion, this cheapens the brand and dilutes credibility and authority.

•••
Chalking it up to 'since money was invested into development' is insulting to anyones intelligence.
I have to agree, it just doesn't set well with me. Just putting it out there, because I know there will be further backlash.

•••
I have to agree, it just doesn't set well with me. Just putting it out there, because I know there will be further backlash.
This one time the registry is honorable, bahahaha! ;)

•••
wild_west.jpg

•••
Thanks @Colin Campbell for clarification. Okay now we all have closure, accept it and move on everyone!

•••
Well Good .club Domain names are vanished due to thier high demand like cofee.club sold for $ 100,000
vegas.club, wine.club and many many more ..

•••
Well Good .club Domain names are vanished due to thier high demand like cofee.club sold for $ 100,000
vegas.club, wine.club and many many more ..

what you mean exactly by vanish due to high demand? domains (any extension) are being registered all the time, everyday, every hour..:?::?:

•••
well , what i am saying is that there is great competition in appropriate (generic) .club domains as compared to others except two or three extensions

•••
I hope the renewal fee doesn't go up to $200k year for the name, lol

•••
If it's worth $200,000, it should show up on Flippa any day now.

•••
If it's worth $200,000, it should show up on Flippa any day now.
Nope:) I will be expanding the site and already have begun work on mobile apps to expand the brand further. The more fully developed gtld domains in the wild the more value the extensions have. I don't mind to help with that:)

•••
did anybody else ever had such luck, to get a six-figure Domain for registration fee? me neither, so something's not serious about deal, despite all speculations ...

•••
@DomainShore.com - What thing is not serious? What do you mean by it? "Luck" falls to those that are diligent and hardworking.

•••
It's a pretty deep mystery inside. Credit club has some background.

•••
did anybody else ever had such luck, to get a six-figure Domain for registration fee? me neither, so something's not serious about deal, despite all speculations ...

Many of the guys who bought .com back in the nineties.

I was also very lucky back in 2005, not one name but quite a few that earned me quite a lot of money. When .in was launched .co.in was relaunched but hardly anybody noticed I was able to fill my boots and make the $'s before most people even realised there was a market.

Luck happens, but usually sparks rounds of envy instead of what should be congrats.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back